Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Install Windows posted:

They have their distribution systems from the network to their affiliates, their owned and operated stations of course, their distribution networks to cable and satellite providers, etc. Furthermore all of them have some manner of web presence. And many cable channels have been owned by single cable carriers for decades, even though they get shown on other cable carriers, without any ill effect.

It just doesn't make sense at any level. It is a knee jerk response to top all kneejerk responses.

You seriously can't see the fundamental difference between Netflix and Youtube? One being a place you upload dumb videos of your dog, the other being a fledgling TV and Movie content provider, which you're so fond of pointing out takes up 30% of American traffic. On top of that you really think content creators should also be allowed to own the mechanism by which that content is delivered? By that line of thinking can I assume you're ok with Comcast also refusing to provide service to anyone who doesn't use a Comcast created or sanctioned TV, rented monthly of course? I also like how you bring up that Comcast is required to abide by Net Neutrality rules when they bought NBCU but totally fail to mention that only lasts until 2018 after which they're free to go hog wild.

OTA broadcasters only rent the airwaves from the US Govt. I shudder to think what would happen if back then we'd decided to outright sell those airwaves until the end of time. Its long past time that the internet was declared a utility. Time Warner shouldn't be allowed to own Warner Brothers any more than Comcast is allowed to own NBCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'm not upset about the peering issue, its more the fact that content creation, content ownership, and content delivery are all falling under the same roof. When I speak about Netflix being fledgling I'm referring more to the idea of them producing in house content. They're already a pain in the rear end for Comcast/TWC in the bandwidth area but now this pain in the rear end is also producing their own content in direct competition with the carriers Netflix relies on. Should Netflix pay for the bandwidth? Yes for sure. Should Comcast/TWC be allowed to gently caress with the bandwidth? Not as long as the bill is getting paid. Are they doing so anyway? Of course they are.

They won't be satisfied until its Netflix, a Comcast Company.

• Locked thread