Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

gohmak posted:

Get ready for 300GB/ month data caps. Atlanta started 3 months ago and it blows to have to keep monitoring your usage and end up cutting the modem power 5 days from the end of the month so you don't end up paying ridiculous overages.

Comcast? Also, do they not grandfather you into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

No grandfathering. 300gb/m. $10 for each 50gb over that. Business accounts do not have the cap.

That's pretty stupid. 300GB can go extremely fast if you spend any amount of time on steam (endless updates). Are they trying to curtail the transition to digital downloading? Most people don't want to leave the house to rent movies/buy games these days.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013
And a lot of times you don't even have a choice about which internet provider to use. Unless you live in a major city (and sometimes even then) you're usually restricted to one or two ISPs. Natural monopolies. Like utilities.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013
My specialty is bird law, so I'm not entirely certain what the government would think about two major companies merging, when the result would cause monopolies (whether anticipated or not) in a large amount of cities/towns. I was pretty sure that's illegal...

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

A monopoly isn't illegal.

What. the. gently caress.

So, creating the monopoly is legal, but using your market domination to then charge people $200/month for internet access would be illegal?

edit: I gotta know where the line gets drawn by the gov.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

psydude posted:

once your market share grows large enough that you begin to stamp out all competition (in the case of AT&T back in the 80s), they government can step in. Gross abuse of market dominance will also sometimes spur the feds to action, as was the case with Microsoft in the late 90s.

What you said here seems to be exactly what is happening. Seems to me that swallowing up a competitor is the same as stamping out all competition. It's only a matter of time before they own the entire cable ISP market. And when that happens, skyrocketing prices.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

I'm not calling bullshit, but what on Earth have you got installed through Steam that's churning through that much bandwidth? I'm capped at 90GB with close to a terabyte of Steam crap, and automatic updates never go anywhere near that much usage.

I was speaking generally. God forbid a game messes up and you need to reinstall it, because that never happens on steam. Just for the ESO beta alone was 20+GB of downloading (not steam, but still). There's a lot of sales on steam where they offer packages. Usually they aren't small downloads.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Ryokurin posted:

Comcast ain't going to spend the money to send fiber to the home or curb when they are the only game in town.

If you're right, and you probably will be, this is horse poo poo. This is one huge reason this merger shouldn't be allowed. When they have no competition, they have no reason to improve their networks and knowing how comcast/capitalism works, they wont.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Its not like time warner was going to start offering services in comcast areas.

Other way around seems more plausible.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Data caps are completely arbitrary and the companies themselves have outright admitted this.

There should be no reason anyone's internet activities are affecting others. Don't offer a 100Mbit service if your infrastructure can't handle it. Seems as arbitrary as being forced to pay extra to use your cell phone as a hotspot when you already have a data plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

If the FCC handles this well

Seeing as how they made a good decision for net neutrality let's hope it keeps up. (not being sarcastic)

• Locked thread