Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

agentxavier posted:

I am actually ok with this merger as long as the government imposes net neutrality and no data caps for perpetuity on the company.

Considering that by the time this is voted for the house and senate will probably be Republican controlled it's unlikely net neutrality will be considered. Most of them have argued for years that it kills jobs and innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Sepist posted:

Cable companies will be moving away from coax last mile to ftth, at least the one I am working at is deploying a small test region this year. From what I understand in our meetings this movement is across the entire MSO

Some of the smaller companies are doing that, but pretty much all of the big boys have backed off from that. Verizon isn't expanding Fios anymore, AT&T only did FTTH in new subdivisions and also do not have plans on expanding except in areas like Austin where they need to to stay competitive.

What more than likely will happen if this goes through and the need arises Comcast will convert their network to switched digital which is what TWC has done in some areas. Maybe they'll to 10gb service in some areas like what's happening in Austin now but Comcast ain't going to spend the money to send fiber to the home or curb when they are the only game in town.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The bottom line is, Netflix agreed to peer directly with Comcast probably because it was cheaper than Cogent. And Comcast is trying to not put more resources into helping others make money without getting a piece of the pie. Ultimately they aren't doing this for the consumers, they are doing this for their shareholders.

• Locked thread