Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

computer parts posted:

No one cares about uplink unless you have a server at home (which is the one thing Google Fiber explicitly prohibits).

No, you don't care about uplink, but anyone who uploads HD videos, does offsite backups or otherwise transfers large files would love faster upload.

Last month I shot some video and had to transfer it to someone else over a VPN with my lovely 1Mbps upload. It took almost 18 hours to move a little over 7.5GB of data. I could have gotten in the car and made the 800 mile round trip faster than transferring it via the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shizengiggles posted:

I don't understand how this will get approval. I know they struck down the rule where you couldn't have more than 30% of the market (lobbying? what happened here?) but this will clearly be anti competitive by pretty much any definition. The only companies left in the space will be Cox and smaller regional players, right? I think AT&T U-Verse, Verizon FiOS, and Google Fiber are all fiber based, and DirecTV is satellite service.

U-Verse is fiber-to-the-node but uses crappy old DSL for the last 1/2 mile or so. They rolled it out here, but the VRADs are spaced quite far apart and there are a lot of unserviced homes since the distance limits, even with two pairs of lines, top out under a mile. Probably less here since the lines are really lovely and couldn't even provide clear voice service on the best days in the past.

• Locked thread