Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have 20Mb up and it's made so much stuff possible that I don't know what I'd do without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even if you can't think of an immediate use for higher upstream bandwidth, or think that streaming video is an edge case, why would you almost rally against it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just think it's a bit short sighted to not pay attention to upload speeds because nothing uses it today, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. If nobody really uploads then have a higher contention on the upstream, but don't cap it at 2Mbps or anything daft like that.

A 10Mbps+ upload speeds makes any sort of content uploading quite painless, and home working becomes something that provides as good a client experience as being in an office would in a lot of cases.

If faster upload speeds were common then I think you'd soon see services start to use it, and not just the ones that a tiny proportion of the subscriber base care about.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anything that doesn't allow a possibly subsidised infrastructure to be further milked isn't a technology that cable companies are interested in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But Netflix pay their providers to carry that traffic already, and those providers make the peering agreements. The only reason people like Comcast are getting pissed off and asking for more cash now (apart from it competing with their own services) is that it's a really easy way to show up a lack of investment in their network.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don Lapre posted:

Netflix wants/needs direct connection to each isp now.

Haven't they been doing something like that for a while? I know some ISPs can run "Super HD" and some can't.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I didn't mean the paying thing, maybe it was putting edge servers inside ISP networks. I can't find the page now but at least in the UK there were ISPs that Super HD worked on, and ones where it didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Forcing companies to open up their ducts / poles / network to competitors who have absolutely no capital costs is a great way of ensuring nobody invests in infrastructure.

• Locked thread