Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cenodoxus posted:

Another factor preventing shared cable markets is that many municipalities offer a pseudo-"protected monopoly" status to cable carriers in exchange for the carrier agreeing to provide service to the entire area. The local government gets their constituents internet access, and the cable company gets so many years of almost guaranteed :10bux:.

It's this right here, mainly. Cable companies go to local governments and whinge about how much they're gonna have to invest for INFRASTRUCTURE and how they can't possibly bear the burden of competition and get INCREDIBLY favorable arrangements for decades and decades.

psydude posted:

Well, in Comcast's defense, they never really enforced the cap when they had it in my area.

If you're pushing enough data where you're constantly hitting the cap and getting shut off, you should probably just cough up the extra money (I believe it's 10-15 a month) for a business line so you can at least get some form of SLA and less-lovely support.

Because gently caress them, that's why. Data caps are completely arbitrary and the companies themselves have outright admitted this. "B-b-b-but you're affecting performance for other users!!" is complete bullshit and always has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

psydude posted:

Service providers always oversubscribe their lines, just ask anyone who owns a cell phone inside of a major city.

This does not apply to cable, or at least I've never seen a shred of evidence that it does.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Install Windows posted:

Why do you want it to not go through, exactly?

What? Why would anyone WANT it to go through? How can it possibly be any sort of benefit to the cable subscribing public as a whole?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Install Windows posted:

so really what we have going on here is nothing changing for consumers at the worst and maybe some better performance at best.

Uhh, I would say that personally, my own service would go to poo poo if it were run by Comcast, and I have had accounts for long periods with both companies.

I am not at all excited about the idea of sacrificing even the illusion of competition on the idea that MAYBE somehow, magically, this merger will make things better. If anything, Google Fiber coming in has taught us that competition has entrenched companies making GBS threads their pants and we need more of that. Oh, hello upgrade from 50Mb to 100Mb for ~$8/mo. Thanks for that thing that wasn't even possible a year ago, but now you're desperate to keep people from jumping ship.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Install Windows posted:

And here's the thing, these two companies not merging can never provide the incentive for either to boost speeds. That can only be done by actually having other options, like all fiber companies, or the very rare cable overbuild companies like RCN. Surely you've noticed that Google Fiber was made by, well, Google and not an out of territory cable company trying to muscle in on someone else's turf?

Yes, so we need more competition and not more monolithic cable companies. This merger does not further anything remotely resembling a customer serving agenda.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sounds like it's mostly because Cogent is a giant piece of poo poo. (They are.)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So should we have a law saying that the same company can't run both content creation and content delivery systems?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Install Windows posted:

That would basically make television networks illegal, so no.

How so, excepting digital OTA signal? And fine, you can't generate content and then serve generalized delivery service. The networks only really broadcast their own stuff.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Install Windows posted:

It just doesn't make sense at any level. It is a knee jerk response to top all kneejerk responses.

(shrug) ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There's a reason that he's one of the most ignore-listed users on the forums. "Install Windows" is fishmech, a man whose posting is so bad his posts were once set to automatically redirect to a thread in the gas chamber.

You know at the end of The Usual Suspects when the guy figures everything out and the camera lingers on him with that shocked look on his face as realization hits him? That was me just now.

• Locked thread