Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Chichevache posted:

I'm no psychiatrist, but I thought that it was usually, but not always, about power. Meaning that sometimes it can be just about the sex.

It's rarely just one or the other. Sex is involved in that sexual assaults usually involve the gender the attacker prefers, and usually involve the age range the attacker prefers. Power is involved in that these people actively prefer to commit assaults rather than finding a willing partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
i am a psychiatrist by trade and it turns out that not only is chichevache correct, but florida gators av guy is too and only 0.24% of rapes occuer due to "needing to nut". thanks for reading

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Darren Sharper has issues.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
ehh nm

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hardfl1p posted:

i am a psychiatrist by trade and it turns out that not only is chichevache correct, but florida gators av guy is too and only 0.24% of rapes occuer due to "needing to nut". thanks for reading

Is that the clinical term?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

swickles posted:

Apparently your team winning a Super Bowl magically turns you into a good poster.

Uhh. Yeah sure.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'll admit I've never done any real thinking about the thought processes of rapists. But that all makes sense.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

GAY KARATE MAN posted:

I'll admit I've never done any real thinking about the thought processes of rapists.

This seems like it's for the best.

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

im so sick of human beings

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Skeesix posted:

This seems like it's for the best.

Yeah that's how I feel about it :v:

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
It's so disturbing. You try to figure it out, but there's not really a way to understand it I don't think. Unless you're broken like he is, it's just not going to make sense. For sure there's not a big separation between any other part of life and power, the difference is in what kind of power it is. I think for a normal person, er, assuming I have any idea what that might be, heh, it's a very powerful thing to have sex with a willing partner. Someone said it's the ultimate affirmation right? That's a feeling of power, but the power is in the willingness of the other person.

But it seems like for this guy, assuming that he did these things, he wanted power to control them, to take from them something that they might have even given willingly. Willing wasn't enough, he wanted to TAKE, which is actually violent really I think.

It's really hosed up. I can understand so many crimes. I can understand killing someone because you're angry, or because you're paranoid, or because their continued existence is intolerable to you. That's just straight up violent and I can completely understand it almost every time.

This kind of deviant violence, where some normal seeming drive or impulse is completely perverted and turned into something horrible and ugly, I just can't get a handle on. Then it's even more unbelievable because the guy is ON TELEVISION. I mean, you're not creeping off into the night, like appearing in a lovely sketch, they're just like 'yeah it was Darren Sharper'. So not only are you completely unhinged, you're also incredibly loving dumb.

Makes you think there must actually be a lot more of them. You don't just one day after retirement decide to start drugging and raping women. Unless you have....a worsening brain injury or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Larch posted:

It's so disturbing. You try to figure it out, but there's not really a way to understand it I don't think. Unless you're broken like he is, it's just not going to make sense. For sure there's not a big separation between any other part of life and power, the difference is in what kind of power it is. I think for a normal person, er, assuming I have any idea what that might be, heh, it's a very powerful thing to have sex with a willing partner. Someone said it's the ultimate affirmation right? That's a feeling of power, but the power is in the willingness of the other person.

But it seems like for this guy, assuming that he did these things, he wanted power to control them, to take from them something that they might have even given willingly. Willing wasn't enough, he wanted to TAKE, which is actually violent really I think.

It's really hosed up. I can understand so many crimes. I can understand killing someone because you're angry, or because you're paranoid, or because their continued existence is intolerable to you. That's just straight up violent and I can completely understand it almost every time.

This kind of deviant violence, where some normal seeming drive or impulse is completely perverted and turned into something horrible and ugly, I just can't get a handle on. Then it's even more unbelievable because the guy is ON TELEVISION. I mean, you're not creeping off into the night, like appearing in a lovely sketch, they're just like 'yeah it was Darren Sharper'. So not only are you completely unhinged, you're also incredibly loving dumb.

Makes you think there must actually be a lot more of them. You don't just one day after retirement decide to start drugging and raping women. Unless you have....a worsening brain injury or something.

Are you really trying to draw a connection between CTE and becoming a rapist?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Larch posted:

where do you get your weed

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

There's two things I want when I get baked to poo poo: all you can eat sushi, and a reasonable amount of rape

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

But I think he probably was just a psycho most of his life and football gave him a good release, now in the silence and twilight of the retirement of his career he has the time to get bombarded, twisted and eventually ruined by his violent thoughts toward women

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

E: nm

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Are you really trying to draw a connection between CTE and becoming a rapist?

CTE is unambiguously linked with disinhibition with regard to aggression and violence. Now CTE doesn't make anyone do anything, and there's no indication that I know of that Sharper has it in the first place, but the bare possibility of some connection can't be dismissed out of hand.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Captain von Trapp posted:

CTE is unambiguously linked with disinhibition with regard to aggression and violence. Now CTE doesn't make anyone do anything, and there's no indication that I know of that Sharper has it in the first place, but the bare possibility of some connection can't be dismissed out of hand.

Sure we can, but probably shouldn't because we are a bunch of losers on the interenet, speculate on whether or not CTE may have somehow contributed to him raping women. But this

quote:

seems to imply that Larch thinks the options are that Sharper has raped women before and just wasn't caught, or that the brain injury caused it. The latter seems pretty ridiculous to me, especially considering the former is almost positively true.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Unless Sharper does the needful within the short-term without damaging his head, the connection between his behavior and his brain is only fruitful for the worst sort of sensationalism.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

That's true. Not a lot of point in speculating about it, since there's not much chance of getting actual data any time soon. In any case most people who do have CTE somehow manage not to commit violent felonies.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Disinhibition means doing and saying random poo poo that your internal filter would otherwise suppress. If the desire and execution to rape someone was a sign of CTE, this would be the first time it was reported and would completely change the thought process and research on the disease.

In other words, Darren Sharper is a rapist who may have CTE, but there is no way CTE contributed to his desire to rape women. In fact, he probably has always been involved in this type of behavior and only now just got caught. At least statistically that is the most likely outcome.

Not every weird or deplorable thing is associated with CTE people. Even in NFL ranks, CTE is more rare than we likely think it is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Rape: A classic fencing response

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I was talking with a friend regarding this story. We got onto the topic of reporting rape and my friend was trying to tell me that he thinks ~20% of rapes are faked. Also, it's the victim's fault for not reporting rape as soon as it occurs (or soon after) :negative:

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
That's some calculated poo poo right there. Some real methodical bad guy stuff. He'd have to know how to dose the morphine right without the victims going into respiratory arrest...and then the Ambien basically takes away the memory of it.

Real twisted poo poo.

I hope he never sees the light of day again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Disinhibition means doing and saying random poo poo that your internal filter would otherwise suppress. If the desire and execution to rape someone was a sign of CTE, this would be the first time it was reported and would completely change the thought process and research on the disease.

In other words, Darren Sharper is a rapist who may have CTE, but there is no way CTE contributed to his desire to rape women. In fact, he probably has always been involved in this type of behavior and only now just got caught. At least statistically that is the most likely outcome.

Not every weird or deplorable thing is associated with CTE people. Even in NFL ranks, CTE is more rare than we likely think it is.

Thank you for being an actual authority on this matter so that we can do away with the sophomoric pseudo-philosophy.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Kalit posted:

I was talking with a friend regarding this story. We got onto the topic of reporting rape and my friend was trying to tell me that he thinks ~20% of rapes are faked. Also, it's the victim's fault for not reporting rape as soon as it occurs (or soon after) :negative:

I de-friended Darren Sharper as soon as this story hit, I just assumed everyone else did the same.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TyroneGoldstein posted:

That's some calculated poo poo right there. Some real methodical bad guy stuff. He'd have to know how to dose the morphine right without the victims going into respiratory arrest...and then the Ambien basically takes away the memory of it.

Real twisted poo poo.

I hope he never sees the light of day again.

The most carefulest measurin safety in da league

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah is morphine a normal date rape drug? Where do you even get morphine?

EDIT: I phrased that poorly.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 17, 2014

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Shadow225 posted:

I don't know about morphine's use in a case like this but as a football player with loads of typical injuries and pain I wouldn't be all that surprised if he simply has a pharmaceutical connection somewhere. I know you can get at least some basic forms of it with a prescription.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

Sean Payton probably hooked him up.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wow two pages in and I'm already finally knowing exactly what makes a rapist tick thank god

Hardfl1p is killing it though

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Wow two pages in and I'm already finally knowing exactly what makes a rapist tick thank god

Hardfl1p is killing it though

Violent Impulses? Have you played any football lately? :v:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chichevache posted:

Thank you for being an actual authority on this matter so that we can do away with the sophomoric pseudo-philosophy.

swickles is an authority on CTE?

swickles posted:

In other words, Darren Sharper is a rapist who may have CTE, but there is no way CTE contributed to his desire to rape women.
Nobody said this that I can see.

quote:

At least statistically that is the most likely outcome.
What stats are those, ex-athletes with CTE and rape confessions?

quote:

Even in NFL ranks, CTE is more rare than we likely think it is.
What's your source for this claim too

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles is an authority on anything medical. If I get something stuck up my butt I am sending him a PM.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Welcome back Larch :)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rap posted:

swickles is an authority on CTE?

Not CTE in particular, in fact there are only a handful of authorities on it since its such a new thing. I do however consider myself an authority on head trauma based on my two years as a senior research associate in a major trauma center and the 24 publications on the subject.

quote:

Nobody said this that I can see.

Larch (although shame on me for giving him credibility) and a few others have been implying exactly as much in this thread.

quote:

What stats are those, ex-athletes with CTE and rape confessions?

By statistically I meant its far more likely that Sharper is just a plain old run of the mill rapist than a rapist that was created by head trauma, CTE or otherwise.

quote:

What's your source for this claim too

I have no source for this, because such a source does not exist. We do not know the rate of CTE in NFL players, nor do we have any reliable detection methods for it other than posthumous methods. However, almost anytime an NFL player or even ex-NFL player is involved in a crime, some type of violence, the media and even some TFF posters immediately jump to CTE as the cause of said events. Hell, the mods had to squash CTE talk after the Belcher incident because people were teeing off on it just like they did with "fencing response". Its going to be years until we are able to confirm our current suspicions about CTE, its pathophysiology, course, and treatment.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

Not CTE in particular, in fact there are only a handful of authorities on it since its such a new thing. I do however consider myself an authority on head trauma based on my two years as a senior research associate in a major trauma center and the 24 publications on the subject.

:laffo:

Holy poo poo if that's not a verbal uppercut I don't know what is

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

An uppercut Ray Rice would be proud of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

swickles posted:

AAA DOLFAN posted:

:laffo:

Holy poo poo if that's not a verbal uppercut I don't know what is

yep guess I got pretty owned... drat

quote:

Larch (although shame on me for giving him credibility) and a few others have been implying exactly as much in this thread.
I took his post to mean that there's a chance he decided to do it because of brain trauma, not that it gave him the idea but that he decided to act on the idea. You know, the way CTE seems to have affected the behavior of several other athletes, made them moodier, angrier, more prone to violence and outbursts. John Mackey refused to brush his teeth until his wife faked a letter from Paul Tagliabue. Their actions kind of come out of nowhere and exaggerate their impulses.

quote:

I have no source for this, because such a source does not exist. We do not know the rate of CTE in NFL players, nor do we have any reliable detection methods for it other than posthumous methods.

OK, and what have those methods shown us? What's that percentage of brains studied that have shown CTE?

• Locked thread