Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chichevache posted:

Well at least they will have enough DNA evidence to convict this sick gently caress. Sharper never wraps up.

Apparently your team winning a Super Bowl magically turns you into a good poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Explain Pats and Packers fans. :colbert:

Well, Pats fans haven't won in a decade so the dropoff is to be expected.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lote posted:

Who is better at their respective crime sprees: Sam Hurd, Aaron Hernandez, or Darren Sharper?

Sharper for sure. Hernandez was just dumb. You might give it to Hurd based on the allegations of entrapment and such.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

GAY KARATE MAN posted:

Ray Ray was the only one smart enough to burn the evidence.

So you're an nfl player, why do you need to drug and rape women to have sex with them? Unless you get off on that kind of.....oh....oh god.

Its been pretty well established that rape isn't about sexual gratification but about power.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I'm no psychiatrist, but I thought that it was usually, but not always, about power. Meaning that sometimes it can be just about the sex.

I don't have the data in front of me, but I would be surprised if more than 5% of rapes occurred because a guy just wanted to get off and not because he was acting on a power fantasy. So yes, sometimes, but rarely.

edit: In retrospect I still think 5% is way too high.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

CTE is unambiguously linked with disinhibition with regard to aggression and violence. Now CTE doesn't make anyone do anything, and there's no indication that I know of that Sharper has it in the first place, but the bare possibility of some connection can't be dismissed out of hand.

Disinhibition means doing and saying random poo poo that your internal filter would otherwise suppress. If the desire and execution to rape someone was a sign of CTE, this would be the first time it was reported and would completely change the thought process and research on the disease.

In other words, Darren Sharper is a rapist who may have CTE, but there is no way CTE contributed to his desire to rape women. In fact, he probably has always been involved in this type of behavior and only now just got caught. At least statistically that is the most likely outcome.

Not every weird or deplorable thing is associated with CTE people. Even in NFL ranks, CTE is more rare than we likely think it is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rap posted:

swickles is an authority on CTE?

Not CTE in particular, in fact there are only a handful of authorities on it since its such a new thing. I do however consider myself an authority on head trauma based on my two years as a senior research associate in a major trauma center and the 24 publications on the subject.

quote:

Nobody said this that I can see.

Larch (although shame on me for giving him credibility) and a few others have been implying exactly as much in this thread.

quote:

What stats are those, ex-athletes with CTE and rape confessions?

By statistically I meant its far more likely that Sharper is just a plain old run of the mill rapist than a rapist that was created by head trauma, CTE or otherwise.

quote:

What's your source for this claim too

I have no source for this, because such a source does not exist. We do not know the rate of CTE in NFL players, nor do we have any reliable detection methods for it other than posthumous methods. However, almost anytime an NFL player or even ex-NFL player is involved in a crime, some type of violence, the media and even some TFF posters immediately jump to CTE as the cause of said events. Hell, the mods had to squash CTE talk after the Belcher incident because people were teeing off on it just like they did with "fencing response". Its going to be years until we are able to confirm our current suspicions about CTE, its pathophysiology, course, and treatment.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rap posted:

OK, and what have those methods shown us? What's that percentage of brains studied that have shown CTE?

Well, right now the only way to diagnose CTE is a pathologist has to do a dissection of the brain. That said, its not always easy to get a hold of those brains. Have you read League of Denial? It details races between competing entities (including the NFL) to get the brains of those who have died and are suspected of having CTE. And by percentage do you mean among NFL players? Boxers? The general population (which may or may not include those at a higher risk of developing CTE such as boxers or football players). I don't know the number off the top of my head for the specific groups, and I highly doubt there is any data on the general population. Keep in mind that when they do these types of autopsies, they are looking for CTE. In other words, unlike a lot of other conditions, CTE is not found incidentally on autopsy. Not everyone gets autopsied, and not everyone who gets autopsied has that detailed an examination of the brain.

Its also important to keep in mind that the currently proposed pathogenesis of CTE is not repeated concussions, but chronic, continuous sub-concussive blows, similar to those experienced by linemen in the first second after that ball is snapped. In fact, from a CTE prospective, its better to be a Wes Welker, and even Jahvid Best than it is to be any offensive or defensive linemen. At least, this is what the current data suggests.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rap posted:

No, we don't know how much it might appear in the general population. But the prevalence of CTE among football players could be extremely high. I'm having trouble finding a case where they looked for it and didn't find it. So it's more rare than we think it is, even though every time they look they find it?

Again, they are looking for it. Its how you start to build the knowledge about a disease. You wouldn't look for CTE in a newborn that died of pneumonia. They specifically isolate cases that they believe will have CTE and examine the brains. The idea is to get a specific set of conditions that they can then use to diagnose and define CTE. Once they have this criteria, they expand the study to include healthy brains and the general population to see if it isn't incidental. With CTE, these researchers are trying to define a brand new disease, which is incredibly difficult to do in one that exists in the general population. These people are trying to do it in a very small population.

In general, if you want to learn about epidemiology, a good place to start is to look up what case studies are. Then compare that to longitudinal studies and cohort studies. They find it every time they look for it because they are not performing an autopsy on everyone who played football. They are only looking at people who they have a high suspicion of having the disease. It would be like if I was trying to find a link between smokers and lung cancer. I am only going to look at people who died and had pulmonary symptoms. I am basically going to ignore those who smoked but died of some other condition entirely until I have a decent set of data which I can use to compare and determine if it was from lung cancer or something else.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rap posted:

Chris Henry had symptoms? A 17-year-old high school kid had symptoms? Junior Seau was acting crazy before he killed himself?

Its hard to say these people had symptoms when we don't yet know exactly what these symptoms are. This disease is in its infancy and yes there are some signs and symptoms that are consistent form case to case, but as a physician I can't comment on things like what you are saying, because I haven't interviewed them nor read their medical charts. Have medical officials come out and said they had symptoms of CTE or is it the media just saying "they were acting weird"? Its important because if we want this disease recognized and something to be done about it, we first need data and study of it with the same rigor that we apply to any other disease. This is the first I am hearing that Chris Henry had symptoms. And if he had symptoms, how are they discernible from a whole host of other symptoms that indicate something else? The same symptoms of CTE could also be attributed to early onset Alzheimers (a genetic form that can affect people in their 20'). Why can't those symptoms be tied to cancer, autoimmune diseases, and literally thousands of other things that can affect the CNS? Assuming that its CTE related because they played football is dangerous and would setback research in that area, and others back by years. There is a reason a protocol is in place to define and learn about new diseases.

Also, you named 3 cases out of tens of thousands of players. Not exactly the statistical power we are looking for.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

Has there been any research at all done by the DoD of guys coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan? I'd imagine combat provides all sorts of magnificent opportunities to get a concussion

Again, its not a single concussion or even several concussions. Currently its thought that its caused by repeated, frequent, sub-concussive blows. So a soldiers would actually be a poor population, at least by the current thinking.

Rap posted:

I would swear you just said they're only testing for it in people who have shown signs of it

but hey maybe I'm a medical statistics retard and I'm missing something better talk down to me more to make sure

Nobody said he had symptoms, which is my point. They found it even though he wasn't turning moody or angry.

When you are trying to define a disease, you first look at a patient. That patient will show a ton of signs and symptoms. Many of those will turn out to not be related to the disease you are trying to define. For instance, lets say a player is suspected of having CTE because they are (in your words) acting crazy before their death. But they were a lineman, are now overweight and also have diabetes and hypertension and metabolic syndrome. Also, they drink a ton which may or may not be related to a possible CTE diagnosis and they have liver, pancreas, and neurological damage from it. You need to isolate the signs and symptoms that occur in not just this patient, but all the others you get that could be a result of CTE. We look for CTE based on hunches, and so we cast a very very wide net. As we examine these players, we may find that symptom X or sign Y is not of significance, and we narrow our net until we have a clear picture of what this disease is.

As for Chris Henry, he didn't have clinical symptoms as you said. However, again, we know very little about the pathogenesis of this disease. The lesions may develop early on, but the signs and symptoms don't appear for years or at all. You are trying to draw a lot of conclusions from isolated findings in a disease the medical community and even the experts know very little about. Like I said, we are still trying to define this disease and what it is. Its not like diabetes or something that has been known about for thousands of years.

edit: drat, its late. I will make a CTE megathread if there is interest in it in the next few days.

swickles fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 18, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Except its not found in every player. You have a great example of confirmation bias going. You only hear about when its found in players, no one ever reports when it isn't found.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lote posted:

He's using ambien and morphine, which is a very unusual combination for a guy that probably doesn't have the greatest knowledge in pharmacology. The only thing missing from formal anesthesia that you'd be getting in a operation would be the inhaled anesthetic. He's using a poor man's substitute drug cocktail. The morphine (or fentanyl in surgical procedures) is given so that you don't feel pain and move while you're out.

The morphine is particularly puzzling as to why he would have gone with that on his own. It's a Schedule 2 drug in the United States so that means that doctors must fill out forms in "triplicate" in order to prescribe it.

Ambien is given out to pretty much anyone who wants a script for it. Its not usually scrutinized. As a former NFL player, I am sure he has chronic pain conditions. A standard regimen (once you have gotten to the level of prescribing narcotics) is a long acting drug like oxycontin and then usually something like morphine for breakthrough pain. I doubt he is on such a regimen though likely either got his morphine on the street or a shady doctor. Plenty of places have "clinics" where they give out opiates with the same level of caution and scrutiny as the medical marijuana clinics that give out cards. You just pay out the rear end for it, and he certainly can.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lote posted:

I just think it's very strange that he's one step away from having the patient go under a throwtogether anesthesia regimen that you would be more likely to see in an operating room. All he would need would be an inhalation agent. Most doctors use iso/des/sevoflurane but they used to use things like ether and chloroform which are common industrial solvents.

Coming from the anesthesia side, it seems really weird that anesthesia practices are either trickling down or being discovered on their own by druggies.

Are you an anesthesiologist too? :hfive:

Mixing opiates and benzos or a benzo like compound in this case is pretty common in the drug world. Lots of people use both, that's how most overdoses occur, too much respiratory depression. Well, alcohol + one of those is the most common, but mixing drugs happens a lot too.

edit: oh and because the derail occurred in this thread, here is the link to the CTE megathread I finally got around to making:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610024

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lote posted:

No. Just studying for the surgery shelf and reviewing common anesthetics. They told us that anesthesia would be on there. :downsgun:

Unless its changed in the last 5 or so years, there wasn't any anesthesia on the surgery shelf (assuming you are taking the standardized/nationalized one). There are some topics that have cross over in terms of lines and tubes, and some medications that are given intraoperatively, but I don't recall any straight up anesthesia being on there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drat Chiche you are the JR Smith of posting. Tons of points but only because you take a ton of shots.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

How will all this work with the trials? Is it first come first serve where whoever arrested him first gets to try him first? Whats the protocol?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So when does this become a federal case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

Technically, neither did Sandusky.

Yeah, this is the direction we want this thread to go.

• Locked thread