Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chichevache posted:

Thank you for being an actual authority on this matter so that we can do away with the sophomoric pseudo-philosophy.

swickles is an authority on CTE?

swickles posted:

In other words, Darren Sharper is a rapist who may have CTE, but there is no way CTE contributed to his desire to rape women.
Nobody said this that I can see.

quote:

At least statistically that is the most likely outcome.
What stats are those, ex-athletes with CTE and rape confessions?

quote:

Even in NFL ranks, CTE is more rare than we likely think it is.
What's your source for this claim too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

swickles posted:

Not CTE in particular, in fact there are only a handful of authorities on it since its such a new thing. I do however consider myself an authority on head trauma based on my two years as a senior research associate in a major trauma center and the 24 publications on the subject.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

:laffo:

Holy poo poo if that's not a verbal uppercut I don't know what is

yep guess I got pretty owned... drat

quote:

Larch (although shame on me for giving him credibility) and a few others have been implying exactly as much in this thread.
I took his post to mean that there's a chance he decided to do it because of brain trauma, not that it gave him the idea but that he decided to act on the idea. You know, the way CTE seems to have affected the behavior of several other athletes, made them moodier, angrier, more prone to violence and outbursts. John Mackey refused to brush his teeth until his wife faked a letter from Paul Tagliabue. Their actions kind of come out of nowhere and exaggerate their impulses.

quote:

I have no source for this, because such a source does not exist. We do not know the rate of CTE in NFL players, nor do we have any reliable detection methods for it other than posthumous methods.

OK, and what have those methods shown us? What's that percentage of brains studied that have shown CTE?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
No, we don't know how much it might appear in the general population. But the prevalence of CTE among football players could be extremely high. I'm having trouble finding a case where they looked for it and didn't find it. So it's more rare than we think it is, even though every time they look they find it?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Chris Henry had symptoms? A 17-year-old high school kid had symptoms? Junior Seau was acting crazy before he killed himself?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

swickles posted:

Its hard to say these people had symptoms when we don't yet know exactly what these symptoms are.
I would swear you just said they're only testing for it in people who have shown signs of it

quote:

They specifically isolate cases that they believe will have CTE and examine the brains.
but hey maybe I'm a medical statistics retard and I'm missing something better talk down to me more to make sure

quote:

This is the first I am hearing that Chris Henry had symptoms.
Nobody said he had symptoms, which is my point. They found it even though he wasn't turning moody or angry.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
So basically the summary is, they've found it every time they've looked including in wide receivers and safeties, not typical "repeated subconcussive hits" positions, and CTE is highly suspected of influencing people's behavior, but for someone to suggest Darren Sharper had it and it influenced his behavior is crazy, and also it probably doesn't happen as often as people think even though the evidence so far says every NFL player could have it.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Ok well I intended my last post to wrap up the derail, sorry guys you know I'd always prefer jokes but I don't really joke about rape so much and I thought a lot of that dismissal was pretty full of poo poo including telling me it's confirmation bias and not bothering to produce even one case where it wasn't found

v2vian man fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 18, 2014

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

One step ahead of ya, slowpoke!

But seriously i have noticed the same and hope all is well. I know how lovely it can be to move to a big new city without really anyone or anything

That's what I moved away from actually. And I think you guys are maybe just responding to this thread and when I also went after swickles in another thread and frankly crazy it's got me worried about you just as much

Chiche I don't worry about you pal, at this point I know you're doing you in your own way

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

That's the post you opt to get on a soap box over? Really?

hahahah yeah really

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Daltos there was never any wonder why you never get laid

Ork of Fiction posted:

Sex was basically assured

awful

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Daltos is occupying his usual spot somewhere in the haze between mockery, self-mockery and real actual thoughts

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Gerund posted:

Maybe this is a '6 million in the holocaust sounds impossible' reaction, but is it possible that departments with open cases are tagging Sharper for open cases?

Because drat, man.

I'd think a victim's statement either would or wouldn't mention "I was with an NFL player named Darren Sharper that night"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

sweet thursday posted:

Listen: Billy Pilgrim has cum unstuck in time

hahah

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Regnevelc posted:

I watched this movie about 3 weeks after losing my dad. The end was not a fun watch.

ever find your dad?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chichevache posted:

I don't think Chicago is good for you.

That was actually an extremely v2 joke, J Bansal vintage if i don't miss my guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
figured reg was up for it :)

• Locked thread