Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Who is better at their respective crime sprees: Sam Hurd, Aaron Hernandez, or Darren Sharper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shadow225 posted:

Yeah is morphine a normal date rape drug? Where do you even get morphine?

EDIT: I phrased that poorly.

He's using ambien and morphine, which is a very unusual combination for a guy that probably doesn't have the greatest knowledge in pharmacology. The only thing missing from formal anesthesia that you'd be getting in a operation would be the inhaled anesthetic. He's using a poor man's substitute drug cocktail. The morphine (or fentanyl in surgical procedures) is given so that you don't feel pain and move while you're out.

The morphine is particularly puzzling as to why he would have gone with that on his own. It's a Schedule 2 drug in the United States so that means that doctors must fill out forms in "triplicate" in order to prescribe it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

swickles posted:

Ambien is given out to pretty much anyone who wants a script for it. Its not usually scrutinized. As a former NFL player, I am sure he has chronic pain conditions. A standard regimen (once you have gotten to the level of prescribing narcotics) is a long acting drug like oxycontin and then usually something like morphine for breakthrough pain. I doubt he is on such a regimen though likely either got his morphine on the street or a shady doctor. Plenty of places have "clinics" where they give out opiates with the same level of caution and scrutiny as the medical marijuana clinics that give out cards. You just pay out the rear end for it, and he certainly can.

I just think it's very strange that he's one step away from having the patient go under a throwtogether anesthesia regimen that you would be more likely to see in an operating room. All he would need would be an inhalation agent. Most doctors use iso/des/sevoflurane but they used to use things like ether and chloroform which are common industrial solvents.

Coming from the anesthesia side, it seems really weird that anesthesia practices are either trickling down or being discovered on their own by druggies.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

swickles posted:

Are you an anesthesiologist too? :hfive:

Mixing opiates and benzos or a benzo like compound in this case is pretty common in the drug world. Lots of people use both, that's how most overdoses occur, too much respiratory depression. Well, alcohol + one of those is the most common, but mixing drugs happens a lot too.

edit: oh and because the derail occurred in this thread, here is the link to the CTE megathread I finally got around to making:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610024

No. Just studying for the surgery shelf and reviewing common anesthetics. They told us that anesthesia would be on there. :downsgun:

• Locked thread