Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
That was completely terrible. We had FOUR people get in out of approx 34 people trying. 8 tickets for a group of 40, with 10 DGS, we arent even at 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Make Burning Man Great Again.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Ok who does firefly and why do I have to mail in a release form before I even get a ticket? Jeebus.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

zmcnulty posted:

I'm in this queue with no idea as to whether or not I will actually be able to buy a ticket. All I see is some green bar slowly inching along. It wouldn't be a problem but I am actually losing sleep over this, it's 4:24AM where I am.

update: whelp this looks like the beginning of the end, thanks for playing!

Yeah, I didn't even get out of the waiting lobby this year. Luckily I don't have a camp counting on me to show up, so if I do a couple regionals instead I'm just out the dust. I may just drive out to the Playa some time outside of the burn window to get my dose, it's beautiful country out there anyway.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Zero people (out of 8) in our group got tickets.

Yeah there'll be a few available closer to the time as people cancel, but the scrabble for the breadcrumbs is too drawn out and stressful for me to make it worth it. And there's no way we can begin planning if we can't ensure a minimum number of tickets. So it looks like we'll be doing other festivals.

Next year I think we'll have to join a large camp to have a reasonable chance of getting tickets in the DGS. The Main Sale is just a joke at this point.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It really is. The narrative you'll get from most of the placed camps who don't have to worry about it as much is 'the Playa will provide', unfortunately unless you can drop everything and put together all your resources and plans at the last minute it doesn't work out so hot.

If I was in Reno or San Fran, I'd be willing to bet on a last minute ticket and make the plans, but not from 1700 miles away.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Poodge posted:

I did really want to go to burning man, but I heard from someone that people have been drugged via their drinks that they personally know

This can and does happen anywhere there are people and drinks. Bars, parties, concerts, dates, burning man, anywhere.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

White Chocolate posted:

Ok who does firefly and why do I have to mail in a release form before I even get a ticket? Jeebus.

I'm going this year. I imagine the release form bit is to help weed out those who aren't serious about attending, knocking out the "want to go so I'll sign up but can't be arsed to actually do it if I get in" folk right off the bat?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Telsa Cola posted:

Hey all, this is a bit of an odd question so sorry in advanced and further apologizes if this post does not belong here. A friend of mine is doing a capstone research project on Burning Man and is having trouble finding volunteers to take an anonymous online survey about people's experiences. She has apparently approached both the eplaya forum and the main BM page but apparently has been turned down due to it being seen as advertisement or self promotion and is running out of ideas. I was wondering if any of y'all would be interested in helping out. If so I can either email you the link or post it in this thread if that is acceptable. Thanks!

Did you consider posting the link to this survey here? And on reddit, etc?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Alfajor posted:

Also there are a ton of facebook groups.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Alfajor posted:

Yeah I was wondering if that would be alright to do, Ill shoot her an email asking her if its okay to post it here.

Eldritch Sandwich
Nov 1, 2007
Baked by Beelzebub

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm going this year. I imagine the release form bit is to help weed out those who aren't serious about attending, knocking out the "want to go so I'll sign up but can't be arsed to actually do it if I get in" folk right off the bat?

Yes, that's pretty much the case. To answer your earlier question, I've been put on the waiting list almost every time and I've always gotten a ticket. You just need to stick it out!

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
I had such a good time at Burning Man that I genuinely felt no desire to go back, also I went in 2001 and 9/11 happened a few days after we got back so I think that played a part in it. If you're on the fence about going and it's not about money or your long term employment you should go.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

E: don't read anything on the internet on April 1.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Looking for any downtempo/chill/lounge style (any subgenre) DJs, if anyone is interested or has a friend that is interested, let me know by either responding or PM!

@Alfajor in case you'll be there for the week and want to play this year, let me know

@Dessert Rose if you play downtempo stuff let me know (i.e. psy chill like desert dwellers, etc)? I am still working on our dance-focused party, but if you're coming again this year I'm sure our fire spinners wouldn't mind you doing a psy trance set

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
People are airing the ticketing dirty laundry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/comments/4ebxow/mega_tldr_on_how_ticketfly_screwed_up_the_ticket/

I say 0% chance BMorg or ticketfly respond to this. They got their money, they don't care.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ticketing's been a hot mess for five years now, and the BORG's only response has been to make it more expensive and harder for people who don't have fat stacks of cash to go.

The takeaway has always been that if you really want to go, you buy in on the Christmas pre-sale and take the triple costs as the anti-headache premium.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 12, 2016

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Hence the reason for regionals. They just feel more "genuine" anyway. I loved going to the big burn though. There's nothing like it.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Turns out I unknowingly probably exploited the first of those issues in the reddit post. I clicked my unique link early. Then, for the entire "queue time" I kept getting the error that my promo code was invalid, even when it should have been counting down. Then, right at 12:05, I clicked refresh again (for the 100th time) and magically I had 2 tickets. I never even saw any queue walking man graphics or anything

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's a really obvious exploit, one that I would have assumed any competent ticket vendor would have had an answer for.

Sometimes I overestimate the competence of vendors.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
They're also paid $700,000 a year from bmorg

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Well, is it possible they'll reclaim a bunch like they did last year with the "exploits" and the omg will be huge? This is only my second year, is that a common thing or was last year pretty unique? We got 6/8 tickets for our small retro-diner-themed camp but we really need all 8 folks for this to come off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The ticket sale has, at least from my perspective, been getting worse every year as demand rises. Back in 2011 I bought a ticket a few days after the Main Sale started, and there were still ~5k available. It's kind of to be expected as the Silicon Valley folks more and more treat BM as a vacation spot, scalpers try to make money on the sale, and the BLM and State of Nevada both try to milk the event as one of the few cash cows in the area.

I'm kinda hoping it'll be better in a couple years. The Silicon Valley bubble is showing signs of popping, so that and a couple really bad weather years should at least put more participants rather than spectators in line.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 13, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I got my Firefly tickets and that's all I care about now, I'm gonna get to go to a burn for the first time!

Now I just need to figure out what that's actually going to end up entailing, and continue to ignore the rising anxiety that this will all prove to be a terrible mistake as I manage to convince all the cool burner folk that I'm the biggest loser on earth. :v:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
they got their money, so they arent going to do anything. no surprise there.

http://journal.burningman.org/2016/04/black-rock-city/ticketing/waiting-room-huh-heres-what-happened-in-the-2016-main-ticket-sale/

what they SHOULD do is either void all purchases and try again, or void all "front of the line" people and move the tickets to the OMG sale. But they have their money.

I say this as someone who both had reserved DGS and as someone who has tickets (my wife got through)

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Flight booked, heading in on Friday so I will have some farting around to do beforehand.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Camp dues paid for Planet Earth. Never camped with these guys before but a bunch of local friends do, looking forward to it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Calling for DJs for a couple of our camp's parties. Looking for a couple more people, so if any of you are going this year again let me know!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I think I might be down, since now I'm more confident I'll be at the party in the desert. Message me so we can chat about it!

Also, our camp now has a location: "The Flaming Ugly Cowboy Saloon" at 2:45 and B. loving score :slick:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oh man, just got back from my first ever burn (Firefly), and it was incredible.

This thread existing was largely responsible for the chain of events that lead to it happening, so thanks to all of you, and it was cool to meet my first fellow goon in real life as well.

But wow. What a great time. I can't wait to go again next year, and now I really, really want to do an art project of some sort as well.

Eldritch Sandwich
Nov 1, 2007
Baked by Beelzebub

GlyphGryph posted:

This thread existing was largely responsible for the chain of events that lead to it happening, so thanks to all of you, and it was cool to meet my first fellow goon in real life as well.

But wow. What a great time. I can't wait to go again next year, and now I really, really want to do an art project of some sort as well.

It was a pleasure to meet you, I'm glad you had a great time! Firefly is an absolute blast. Looking forward to seeing you again next year!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

USPS knocked on my door, needed a signature to deliver my tickets. Oh yeah! :c00l:

Now to start preparing things like music playlists and mixes, lights, and the pack/food lists. The man burns in 58 days!!

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

GlyphGryph posted:

If you ever make it down to Florida for a regional I highly recommend Love Burn. For the past 6 years I have been involved in the inner workings of the burn oranges burns but recently dropped out and am now the fire lead and a member of the art grant committee for Love Burn. The burn is only on it's 4th but already to capacity with huge camps such as Incendia. The reason I wanted to let you know is if you wanted to build something I can point you in the right direction having been a member of the AGC's for years. You would be surprised how much surplus money a lot of the burns have due to people not knowing the process or being intimidated for some reason and not submitting applications. It's basically money to bring your dream project to life. I dropped out of the burnt oranges AGC when I was on their committee so that I could get funding to build a haunted house. It is useful and under used which his sad because everyone loves seeing new poo poo that catches the eye.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Sorry about the double post but separate subject. Post your address here so that I can come say hi or we can have a meet up. I am at Planet Earth 9 and Plaza, ask for Nemo.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 21, 2016

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I'm a Ranger and I'm camping in the Black Hole this year. RIP me. Don't come visit, the Gate people will set you on fire for fun. Feel free to leave me a note at Ranger HQ - I'm Ranger Turnip.

Who's that lady I met a few years ago who brought her spinning wheel? I think she was a goon.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
I'll be there but not because I'm visiting but because I like enjoying a tonic and bitters before I head out on gate shifts.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ayyyyyyyy finally got my dates figured out, now I can actually plan poo poo!
I'll be arriving at BRC on Tuesday evening, which is great because I'll be doing a 2 hour DJ set at mitztronic's camp on Wednesday around sunset, and my wife and a good friend will probably be there looking to get weird.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Anyone have any room near their camp for a +1? It's my third year and I'm going alone for the first time. I've got a truck, a 6' stretch yurt and am completely self sufficient. Last year I ended up way out in the boonies so this year I'd like to try and camp nearer to a larger group or at least find a larger group to hang out with. I am not a crazy person I promise! I am also not afraid to get weird however. I am also planning on bringing ~15 gallons of home brewed beer if anyone is interested either way.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Packing up and have the jitters like crazy. Come find me at your friendly neighborhood indoor 80's club, Planet Earth. I will be the one with the mohawk breathing fire.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Obligatory just finished my yurt and freaking out since I don't have anything else to freak out about post

• Locked thread