Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
It's going to be my first time this year, so I'm underprepped as all hell, and I'm freaking out!

However, I want to plug my camp who is a bunch of cool people. Stop by Backfire at 7:15 and Cosimo anytime for ~SENSATIONS~! We'll be providing Vietnamese coffee between 11 AM to 1 PM on Tuesday and Friday along with our main event on Friday from 8 to 11 PM.

I'm planning on going out and around most of the time, but ask around for "Z" at my camp. Hope to see you there!

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Come visit me at 9 and plaza @ planet earth.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
:siren: i suggest a goon meet at COLOR DAY :siren:
Dress up in 1 color only, and get arranged for cool photo shoots. I think this is the 4th year happening.

Thursday, 4pm - meet The Man-side of Catacomb of Veils .
Photoshoot is at 4:30. Then, my wife and a hot redhead lead some yoga stuff, and possibly a twerkshop.

https://www.facebook.com/events/570509986486187/

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
This looks like a cool idea! Added both locations^^^^^^^^^ to my to-go list. See you soon!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Although personal constraints have kept me from going, please have all the fun.

Planet Earth was the best last year for a lot of reasons.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Alfajor posted:

:siren: i suggest a goon meet at COLOR DAY :siren:
Dress up in 1 color only, and get arranged for cool photo shoots. I think this is the 4th year happening.

Thursday, 4pm - meet The Man-side of Catacomb of Veils .
Photoshoot is at 4:30. Then, my wife and a hot redhead lead some yoga stuff, and possibly a twerkshop.

https://www.facebook.com/events/570509986486187/

Is black an okay color? I'm pretty much packing only black clothes (outside of my work clothes) so that I fit in at the Black Hole.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

As long as you're 1 color only, pick any color. And yes, black is a color - so is white.

Can't wait to ask everyone there if they have stairs in their house :)

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Grognan posted:

Although personal constraints have kept me from going, please have all the fun.

Planet Earth was the best last year for a lot of reasons.

I know it may come off as biased but PE is the best.

Edit: Playa name is Nemo Curat in case anyone comes by.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Whoever hosed with the yuppies, good work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vitamin P posted:

Whoever hosed with the yuppies, good work.

Oh?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/burning-man-vip-camp-vandalized-white-party-article-1.2777654

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
That's a pile of dog poo poo.

The first loving principle of BM is Radical Inclusion, and that doesn't go out the window just because "but I don't wannaaaa!" I got irrationally mad when I saw Paris Hilton's vacuous Instagram pics out there but so what, I'm not going to go trash her camp. That's literally the definition of terrorism; "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes." All these vandals are saying is that they don't care about the principles of Burning Man at all, they just want to experience it with people exactly like them, and everyone else stay out. gently caress 'em.

I never camped with White Ocean but I know a few of the people that are part of that camp, and they are not rich 1%s. The founders might be rich, but they also make up 1% of the camp. The rest of the camp are just regular burners, and they work like dogs to get that camp set up. The founders used their money to provide my not-rich acquaintances with a platform to make their art and do their thing, but yet somehow everyone in the camp has to suffer for that?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

God, that was kind of inevitable, wasn't it? I mean, how did they think plug and play camps were going to end up, given the general ethos of Burners leans heavily towards 'NO, gently caress YOU' and a disregard for consequences.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Especially since part of the terrorism was dumping a lot of potable water on the playa.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seems like a smart target there. Dump their water so they end up leaving early, and cause them a massive MOOP problem to interfere with future placement.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

minato posted:

The rest of the camp are just regular burners, and they work like dogs to get that camp set up.
I think thats part of what spurred this on. The Russian mafia eurotrash using the poors as their servants at burning man like they were "back home".

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/comments/512486/vandals_ransacked_white_ocean_camp/

quote:

I was invited as part of a group to support an art installation. Turns out it was owned by some rich guy and their idea of a camp was for the small group of rich guy and friends to sit around smoking cigarettes and drinking all day, while the rest of us prepared meals, dealt with trash, and hunted down pump trucks to service their RVs.

I met some wonderful people at the 2015 burn, but I will never again be tricked into being manual labor for useless parasites who didn't give a flying gently caress about the principles of Burning Man.

I feel bad for the white ocean staffers who had to deal with entitled rich dickheads demanding everything be fixed right away.

But someone also said this:

quote:

Rumor : this was not some anti-PnP/occupy playa "direct action", but payback from some equally "connected" and extremely dissatisfied customers from last year, who may have been turned away at the airport on the basis of dodgy tickets supplied by White Ocean as part of expensive vacation package.

In general the walled off camps need to be forbidden. You go out there youre there. No walls and no servants.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

FRINGE posted:

I think thats part of what spurred this on. The Russian mafia eurotrash using the poors as their servants at burning man like they were "back home".
When I camped with Opulent Temple a few times, it was expected that everyone would get stuck in with the massive amounts of donkey work required. The camp leaders didn't do much physically, but then they'd just spent the last 3 months fund-raising, organizing, and herding all the cats (because everyone's unpaid obviously, so lots of camp members don't fulfill their obligations). So I don't belittle them for that, but to someone who doesn't know the massive amount of effort that goes on behind the scenes, it might look like the leaders were entitled and lazy. As someone in that Reddit thread put it, "Do you think Larry Harvey pounds rebar?"

FRINGE posted:

In general the walled off camps need to be forbidden. You go out there youre there. No walls and no servants.
The "wall of RVs with tents in the middle" is common among many camps. If they don't, then they get random passer-throughs opportunistically stealing anything that isn't nailed down, and law enforcement also wanders through and busts people doing whatever illicit substances they might see. Making a single entrance puts a stop to all that. I admit it might make them seem unwelcoming, but so what? It's their camp, they can do what they like.

If White Ocean hosed some people over with dodgy tickets then that puts a different spin on things. It's not political then, it's personal. Given the extensiveness of the damage and the planning it must have needed, Occam's razor suggests to me that revenge is a stronger motivator than some protest against poorly-defined principles.

But either way, it's brought out some terrible opinions. WO's Facebook page is full of commenters who condone it and think they deserved it. It just seems to be founded in resentment against people richer than they are, which I feel is a pretty poor excuse to hate on someone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

minato posted:

But either way, it's brought out some terrible opinions. WO's Facebook page is full of commenters who condone it and think they deserved it. It just seems to be founded in resentment against people richer than they are, which I feel is a pretty poor excuse to hate on someone.

Nah. Pretty understandable resentment, in fact. Gentrification's a bitch when you're not on the affluent side of it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 5, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

minato posted:

The first loving principle of BM is Radical Inclusion

While it doesn't justify this sort of vandalism, every time someone says this it sounds more like an excuse than an adherence to any sort of principle. How many of the other principles get sacrificed on its alter? Inclusion means the doors are open no matter who you are and in fact we should go out and invite people in, but it doesn't mean every sort of behaviour is acceptable from those who come through the door.

Which you obviously recognize, since you rightly find the behaviour of the vandals unacceptable, instead of arguing we shouldnt be condemning them because of inclusion.

So go ahead and (rightly) condemn the vandals and their vandalism, but I don't see what it has to do with inclusion, and by making it about inclusion you are condemning not only the vandals but people who are peacefully pushing for a change in acceptable behaviours.

In my limited opinion anyway

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 5, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FRINGE posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/comments/512486/vandals_ransacked_white_ocean_camp/

But someone also said this:

What else does Reddit say?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

GlyphGryph posted:

Which you obviously recognize, since you rightly find the behaviour of the vandals unacceptable, instead of arguing we shouldnt be condemning them because of inclusion.
My point of bringing up inclusion was because the vandalism was (supposedly) a statement of radical exclusion, as a protest against White Ocean supposedly not adhering to Radical Inclusion. It seems hypocritical to protest about acting inclusively by excluding through sabotage and intimidation.

That might be by-the-by now if the motivation was in fact a personal vendetta painted up as a protest. But the community's reaction of "they deserved it" suggests the ripples will continue affect the community for a while. Some might be inspired to take action next year against people they don't like, and then it's all downhill from there.

And to clarify, White Ocean is not a plug-n-play camp in the sense that it was a walled off community that provided accommodation to rich clients. I'm sure they did that too, but they also provided a large amount of very-expensive-to-produce entertainment to everyone. The walled off part was the living area, for privacy and security. Their front porch was open to everyone, and 2 years ago we wandered in there and hung out uninvited without a problem. So I don't get where people get the "White Ocean is unwelcoming and exclusive" from.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

minato posted:

My point of bringing up inclusion was because the vandalism was (supposedly) a statement of radical exclusion, as a protest against White Ocean supposedly not adhering to Radical Inclusion. It seems hypocritical to protest about acting inclusively by excluding through sabotage and intimidation.
While I don't think terrorism is or was the appropriate tactic, I don't think it's hypocritical to employ one of the few tactics likely to achieve an element of success given the very narrow window of opportunity. Were they saying "go away" or "don't do this"? Because private chefs seem to go against "radical self-reliance". I'm not knocking people wanting their RVs (although I know others that have) to escape the dust storms and have a decompression space but I kinda feel if you get to Saturday and a part of you isn't thinking "thank god this poo poo is almost over I just want a shower and to have someone bring me unlimited coffee refills" then IMO you hosed up a little.

quote:

And to clarify, White Ocean is not a plug-n-play camp in the sense that it was a walled off community that provided accommodation to rich clients. I'm sure they did that too, but they also provided a large amount of very-expensive-to-produce entertainment to everyone. The walled off part was the living area, for privacy and security. Their front porch was open to everyone, and 2 years ago we wandered in there and hung out uninvited without a problem. So I don't get where people get the "White Ocean is unwelcoming and exclusive" from.
When I went years ago and the walled off areas were just starting to show up at the larger camps the tone of exclusivity created by the walls was really apparent. Further, no one is forcing a camp to provide that kind of entertainment so the notion that privacy and security are necessary seems to be begging the question. The theme camps getting privileged locations used to be controversial in itself, sealing off areas is quite the step beyond that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Darth123123 posted:

What else does Reddit say?
Your wit! :downs: It is so sharp! :emo:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

minato posted:

Wanting people to cease bringing behaviour you find objectionable to Burning Man does not seem, to me, to be a statement of radical exclusion? Can you explain?

Reminder, we're not disagreeing about whether it's wrong, I'm just not understanding the narrative you're trying to build here and am a bit concerned about the potential consequences.

Maybe we should just clarify - would you see disallowing camps like this (or more specifically, camps like what people perceive this camp to be) to be acceptable if it was done through political means and enforced by legitimate burn teams? If so, what makes this an "inclusion" issue, but not that? And if not, do you think there should be no actual limits on behaviour at all in the interest of the first principle?

Edit: I'm not actually particularly invested in this as an argument, maybe I'm just not understanding something obvious.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 6, 2016

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Sigh, drama.

I had a great 9th burn. Exodus took about 10 hours from BRC address to my home (in Reno), which is not the worst ever, but far from the best as well.
The Man burn was a bit underwhelming for me, especially after having hiked through a dust storm to get there.
The Temple burn was much more excellent, it burned beautifully and the crowd feel was spot on - all the goosebumps. The energy of the whole Temple experience is what's most unique about BM for me, at this point.

One of my favorite camps was the Black Rock City Bicycle course, on 3:00 and D. Simple, interactive, and hit it several times a day on my way to the potties.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

GlyphGryph posted:

And if not, do you think there should be no actual limits on behaviour at all in the interest of the first principle?
Yes, although I'm talking about "limits on behaviour" as "the way someone experiences Burning Man", and not "following the BM org's rules". People should have the freedom to do Burning Man the way they want to, as there is no One True Way to do it.

That said, in my experience most Burners do at least somewhat try to follow the principles. Radical Inclusion is defined by the BM org as "Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community." So I feel if someone who is trying to follow the principles has a problem with how else someone else does Burning Man, they should at least try talking with them first, and failing that, include them anyway. Not exclude them (and others) by intimidation.

(I've read comments to the effect of "Well I was thinking of going for the first time next year, but if I have to risk my stuff getting destroyed because I'm perceived as doing it wrong then forget that." So these actions are already excluding people who could be valuable community members.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Some of those principles are actually enforced though, aren't they? (to a greater or lesser extent) - if someone's "way someone experiences Burning Man" violates the Decommodification or Leave No Trace principles, would you say that we should strive to "include them anyway" despite them being completely unwilling to to adhere to either of those principles, or even worse explicitly intending to act against them?

I guess I can see now how you're saying this act in particular could be taken by some people as saying certain "types" are unwelcome, simply by virtue of operating outside the rules and thus people not being able to tell if they might be the next targets for doing it wrong (despite making an honest effort)...

But, as a corollary, is it a problem that we are "unwelcoming" to those who wish to sell things things at burning man, who desire that sort of experience? Should we not be allowed to say "no, that behaviour is not acceptable, you yourself are welcome but you must be willing to keep to the principles in so and so a way and the method you are proposing to participate is not welcome"?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 6, 2016

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

GlyphGryph posted:

Should we not be allowed to say "no, that behaviour is not acceptable, you yourself are welcome but you must be willing to keep to the principles in so and so a way and the method you are proposing to participate is not welcome"?
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I feel that's exactly what someone should say. But say it persuasively, not burn a cross in their front yard.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

edit: eh

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 6, 2016

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
We had a girl show up on Sunday looking for a ride from Reno to Tahoe (we helped her). Turns our her boyfriend broke his back on the night of the burn and had to be airlifted to Reno. Real rough time.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

minato posted:

WO's Facebook page is full of commenters who condone it and think they deserved it.

They are right.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

mitztronic posted:

We had a girl show up on Sunday looking for a ride from Reno to Tahoe (we helped her). Turns our her boyfriend broke his back on the night of the burn and had to be airlifted to Reno. Real rough time.

How'd he break a back?

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Darth123123 posted:

How'd he break a back?

Threw his back out glueing trailer doors and cutting power lines

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Darth123123 posted:

How'd he break a back?

He climbed up a speaker stack and I imagine took a shortcut on the way down, probably not on purpose, but I wasn't there...

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

So, did anyone else walk/ride into the dust to meet up for Color Day? No one asked me about stairs (but then again, I didn't ask anyone either).

GO TEAM GREEN! I'm the one with the bowtie :c00lbert:

Rest of the pictures are here: http://laurenlemon.tumblr.com/post/150123636759/color-day-burning-man-2016-this-year-our-house.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
First time this year. I had a list of stuff that I wanted to do and I didn't even check off a single item but I still had an unfathomable amount of fun. What a crazy loving ride!

I can't wait until next year.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
RE: The White Ocean thing

1. gently caress Plug and Play, but if you want to prank/interact with/gently caress with their camp, do it in a way that opens a dialogue and isn't damaging. I think they're a stupid fucktard camp too (especially knowing certain things about who camps there and what they do) but stupid fucktards are allowed at Burning Man too and they do provide a pretty big and cool thing to share with the community. Also, straight vandalism that floods the playa, screws with potable water, etc doesn't really hurt a millionaire camp with vendor service. They had fixed everything except the damage to the playa by the next night so I mean, woo good prank guys. They have trucks coming from Reno daily with everything they need, and one more truck isn't much of a problem. Vandalism doesn't engage them and the russian mafia billionaires and crown princes that camp in there aren't going to go "gee, someone dumped bullion cubes into my water. I gotta rethink my Burn and how I approach my life." DPW taking over the 747 and demanding to speak with Larry Harvey while engaging the city and other participants in some good ol' fashioned theater? That's good. That didn't gently caress the playa up and it probably made someone think.

2. It's pretty much confirmed as an entirely inside job by disgruntled ex-workers at this point so it wasn't even really vandalism by people looking to get justice as much as it was sabotage by people who feel stiffed.

Also my sixth year was my best loving year ever and I thought I was going to graduate, but not anymore.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
This year was my first time making it to the after party at the GSR and wow... I saw that Halcyon was clean as a whistle and I was dirty as hell so I made it a point to give him a big bear hug.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

OniKun posted:

RE: The White Ocean thing

1. gently caress Plug and Play, but if you want to prank/interact with/gently caress with their camp, do it in a way that opens a dialogue and isn't damaging. I think they're a stupid fucktard camp too (especially knowing certain things about who camps there and what they do) but stupid fucktards are allowed at Burning Man too and they do provide a pretty big and cool thing to share with the community. Also, straight vandalism that floods the playa, screws with potable water, etc doesn't really hurt a millionaire camp with vendor service. They had fixed everything except the damage to the playa by the next night so I mean, woo good prank guys. They have trucks coming from Reno daily with everything they need, and one more truck isn't much of a problem. Vandalism doesn't engage them and the russian mafia billionaires and crown princes that camp in there aren't going to go "gee, someone dumped bullion cubes into my water. I gotta rethink my Burn and how I approach my life." DPW taking over the 747 and demanding to speak with Larry Harvey while engaging the city and other participants in some good ol' fashioned theater? That's good. That didn't gently caress the playa up and it probably made someone think.

2. It's pretty much confirmed as an entirely inside job by disgruntled ex-workers at this point so it wasn't even really vandalism by people looking to get justice as much as it was sabotage by people who feel stiffed.

Also my sixth year was my best loving year ever and I thought I was going to graduate, but not anymore.

Not condoning what was done but the amount of water that was said to be dumped would just be absorbed into the playa within seconds.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I keep hearing about burning man and it seems like a rainbow gathering for rich assholes, but with booze, portapotties, police, and cars.

Is that about right?

• Locked thread