Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Malcolm posted:

Maybe an Antebellum South theme camp is in order? (Utilizing the low-income ticket program naturally)

Paula Deen Camp won't be around this year unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
HMMMM. I just saw this commercial on television featuring P-Diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtVOmhnw-k

Does anyone else read a Burning Man context into this as much as I do? Maybe Puffy was only at BM last year for market research purposes.

I was also reminded of this Taco Bell commercial from 2 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSU1tVoat1Y

gently caress co-opting culture.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
There's an East Coast regional in Schuylkill Haven, PA this weekend called Freeform Arts Festival (http://freeform-festival.com/). I'll be there grilling up some burgers and DJing some music. Any other people going to be in attendance?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
another tip i would add is don't have a specific plan for the week. see the things you want to see, if you happen to pass by a camp doing some kind of workshop and you want to check it out, go for it. feel free to page through the event guide they give you and pick out some things that sound fun as well, but i would caution against scheduling a day plan of activities. part of the magic of the playa is floating organically between different sites and camps you'll find as well as taking it easy at your tent or with friends. filling your time with a regimented schedule will lead to focusing too much on what you could be doing and not enough time focusing on what's going on around you.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Can I just say how happy I am for everyone who will be going this year and how good of a time you're going to have? I don't even think many of the new kids on the block realize it yet. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A loving BLAST AND GO DANCING AND SEE AMAZING PEOPLE AND AMAZING THINGS AND YOU'LL PROBABLY BE A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE DUST BUT IT WILL PASS AND THEN YOU'LL HAVE AN EVEN MORE AMAZING TIME SO IF YOU'RE NOT EXCITED YET I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE gently caress TO TELL YOU!

GET EXCITED, YOU'RE GOING TO BURNING MAN!!!

Please write something for me on the temple and also try to hang out in front of the BM live steam webcam as much as possible and wave to me because I'm gonna try (again) to watch it this year.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Last year I remember reading a lot of the "OMG rich people at BM!!1" after the event occurred. This year I'm seeing a lot of the same type of articles, but this time BEFORE the burn has even happened (chock full of even more conjecture about of how the wealthy are spoiling themselves at BRC). I'm interested to hear how this year goes for the proletariate among us.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I read that a few groups wandered over to the "fancy camps" to see how hospitable they were to strangers. No one tried to enter any of the camps necessarily, the areas were set up with a circle of RVs on the outside, but when they approached, a couple of the sherpa/party planners/whatever got very pissed and went out to confront the group (maybe 5 people from the story I read).

One sherpa ended up getting physical with one of the group members who was writing down notes about the encounter. Also a member of one of the camps came out and threw a fit at the group, mistaking something one of the burners had as a video camera. He was threatening to start punching people if this report is to be believed. :cripes:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

minato posted:

Really? The "circling of the wagons" of RVs is pretty common in big camps, it helps prevent randoms from wandering through. Opulent Temple in particular had bad experiences with people nicking things like bikes or generators(!), or just wandering over and using the shower structures. Not to mention the RV-wall shields the camp from the wind and the view of the cops who might be looking for illicit drug use. The big camps also tend to have a bracelet or necklace which identifies a person as a member of the camp so they can identify strangers. OT gets a bit nervous about non-members backstage, because those people often bring drugs and do them out in the open, and that's an invitation to get the whole camp searched. But in all my years I've never actually seen a confrontation.

Edit: I guess you mean this article: http://recode.net/2014/08/29/k-street-black-rock-burning-mans-billionaires-row/ I think it's terrible journalism. They went over there to "test the hospitality", which already suggests the writer doesn't know what they're on about - no-one's obligated to give you anything at Burning Man. And they didn't even know for sure if the camp they went to was turnkey. If someone stood around outside my camp and started taking notes and filming it, I'd probably tell them to gently caress off too.

I can understand an operation like OT wanting to keep a secure perimeter around their backstage area since they're a) handling expensive sound equipment b) giving back to the festival by putting on great music acts and want security/safety for their performers, and c) OT is one of the premier and most well known camps on the playa (known for handing expensive gear and hosting famous DJs!).

Despite the fact that these "turnkey" camps might cater to an exclusive and super wealthy clientele they are still playa camps in my opinion. No one really has the "right" to enter someone else's camp uninvited but I see no foul in trying to go out and "meet the neighbors" so to speak. Harassing a camp is another no-no but I don't think most burners have that kind of intention (also I don't see what the 6 or so person group did in that article as harassment, just genuine curiosity).

Even in the free for all camping areas I run across a lot of people who come in an RV, build a little camp, and mostly just keep to themselves or meet one or two other friends during the week and that is a completely valid way to experience your week at Burning Man. I'm not going to judge so and so's experience on the playa as "valid" and so and so #2's experience as "not valid", but even the free for allers who are there just for themselves are still completely approachable, friendly, kind, and some even like to give things out and attract some company over. In spite of being there for their own agenda these free for allers still embrace the principals of the festival. They might "close themselves off" by being a loner who's camp makes no pretense about being anything more than a place they sleep at night but they're not actively cordoning off their camps and dispatching security anytime someone gets "too close" to their spot.

It shouldn't be something I concern myself with too much because Burning Man isn't "my" festival any more than it is some wealthy person's festival. It's something we all share and make together. It's building a city in the desert, and as the festival goes on, its city starts to develop the same conventions and issues as any real city would (and for better or worse I think that aspect is neat). But nonetheless it is something I wonder about since one of the things that makes BM so unique is that it's not just another music camping festival, it's a cultural experiment in the desert with tons of art FEATURING some music, but as the cultural cache of the festival grows more and more I feel it's an event that risks becoming just another music camping festival (abet in an inconvenient place). Burning Man will never feature a VIP section like most music festivals, but what are turnkey camps but an impromptu VIP section? Burning Man will never demand that people share and interact with each other, but what does a festival that's known for openness and inclusiveness among participants become when you have paid security staff approach and accost you for wanting to go over to your neighbor's camp (as well as neighbors who will get fuming mad at you for just coming over)?

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 1, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
BMorg doesn't publish their financials so I can't find exact numbers from them regarding ticket sales or costs to put on the festival but I definitely don't feel bad for them regarding land use fees. Nevada should be able to reap the benefits of an annual festival attended by 70,000 people with deep pockets. BMorg takes in more money in ticket sales than it spend on logistics, facilities, staff, and art grants, I'm sure they can spare a few million for land use permits.

Not that that's an excuse for the ludicrous demands of the police with that stupid cop village they want...

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 28, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm glad Harry Reid told his own guys to quit acting like whiney bratty children. It was pretty obvious they put in that request as a gently caress you to BMorg with absolutely no expectation of it being fulfilled. Gerlach could use the extra patronage anyway.

Forbes estimated about $25 million in profit from ticket sales in 2014 (http://fortune.com/2014/08/29/burning-mans-bacchanal-big-ticket-sales-big-costs/) and it's certainly an event (and full time company) full of expenses, but BM does rake in the dough. They don't even have to worry about the talent/musician fees most other festivals have to endure. They pay some staff but an even bigger army of volunteers help keep the festival running.

$5 million is definitely a gouge by BLM and it's unfair at the least to Burning Man but I get the impression it's not an expense they can't reasonably afford. Nevada needs BM more that we need them so there's always going to be that pressure too.

I'm surprised BM only gives out $1 million in art grants too, I thought it would be significantly more in support of the arts at the festival.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Presale - 4000 tickets @ $800/each = $3,200,000
Directed Group Sale - 20,000 tickets @ $390/each = $7,800,000 + (10,000 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $500,000) = $8,300,000
Individual Sale - 40,000 tickets @ $390/each = $15,600,000 + (12,000 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $600,000) = $16,200,000
OMG Sale - 1,000 tickets @ $390/each = $390,000 + (1250 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $62,500) = $452,500
Low Income - 4,000 tickets @ $190/each = $760,000

$3,200,000 + $8,300,000 + $16,200,000 + $452,500 + $760,000 = $28,912,500

$28,912,500 - $5,000,000 = $23,912,500 profit from ticket sales after BLM fees

I still don't see a problem here.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
BMOrg LLC and Black Rock LLC are just companies like any other business, I dunno why some burners cant't acknowledge this. There's no one on the 42nd floor of the BMOrg complex lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills but they're not a small time operation either. Expenses are expenses and Burning Man costs a hell of a lot to put on every year so it's no surprise their expenses beyond the BLM permits run into the millions, however, the organization's budget also doesn't reset to $0 after every year nor do they find themselves restricted by the same financial situations as other festivals or even other companies (paying crew minimum wages, adhering to health and safety regulations, hiring talent, dealing with on site vendors, etc).

I'm not a knocking BMOrg (necessarily), it's just a reality of life, and disregarding that aspect of Burning Man ignores how much time and work goes into making the event happen and disenfranchises every volunteer, DPW member, burner medic, toilet truck worker, ranger, organizer, and anyone else who gives a large part of their life every summer to make sure the festival goes smooth and everyone has a good time.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
http://megagogo.co/

About This Project
We want to help Burning Man attendees continue their favorite week of the year, and allow them to keep experiencing the genuine community and deep connections they can only feel while at Burning Man. To do this, we will build a 300-mile wall around the entire Bay Area during Burning Man.

For the rest of us, what’s normally our favorite week of the year… lasts forever!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I always wanted to visit the salt flats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
It's been a pretty unseasonably warm winter, so maybe?

• Locked thread