Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Heard back from GPE so I'm getting kinda excited for that. Now back to wondering if tickets will have sold out by the time my flight lands tomorrow. Just checked and there is no WiFi on my plane to New Orleans. What kind of future is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

goodness posted:

I'm doing Burning Man next year.

That's good. Next year will have been better two years from now.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Can't speak more good words about the hexayurt and swamp cooler combo. My partner and I had an H12 tricked out like a (very) small flat. Shelves, drawers, full sized futon. Also 120v AC provided by solar panels but I digress. Hey Booger what thickness boards did you use ? The first year we used our hexayurt (without a swamp cooler) the temperature was more or less bearable for naps any time of the day. The biggest benefit the swamp cooler brought was keeping a consistent temperature throughout the day with all the door opening / closing.

Unrelated to hexayurts; who else is doing GPE this year? I'm all signed up in their management system now I just need to figure out who to sleep with for a sweet perimiter shift.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

OniKun posted:

Perimeter fills up really fast. You just have to keep your eye out for one to open up and jump on it. It's kind of tough, and you'll probably do a midnight - 6am or 6am - noon shift for one.

I'm working something around seven shifts this year, I just recently signed up for all of my stuff and I'm totally excited.

Yeah turns out you can just sign up for this poo poo! Working 6am-Noon perimeter shift on first Monday. Then two gate shifts later in the week.

Gods I'm going to need to figure out what to do for vacation after this burn.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

schweg posted:

Hi folks, virgin with ticket here. Anybody ever see a hexayurt with A/C on playa (or other non-RV structure)?

I'm camping with a bunch of virgins and a couple second-years and they're all whining about how we need A/C and generators for the yurts we're building. The idea of going out and air conditioning the desert sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong? Seems like a ton of things to go wrong especially since we wouldn't be able to try it out ahead of time due to travel logistics.

I think I'm going to try to push for evap coolers. I've seen plenty of glowing recommendations (including the ones above). Anybody ever been disappointed by a FIGJAM-style evap cooler while trying to sleep in after a late night?

I was able to sleep fine (my first year, in a H12 hexayurt) without a swamp cooler.

I've seen people use commercial sized air conditioners to cool entire villages of yurts and tents. It's amazing what people will do in the name of glamping!

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress tents, hammocks all day every day. Cooler during the day, warmer at night because the ground isn't leeching out your precious body heat.

After the van with all our camp infrastructure was ganked in Oakland last year some neighbors donated a hammock pavilion.

I did a lot of napping last year.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Mandaryn posted:

I visited your camp! That hammock dome was lovely…. KFC, yes?

Nope. But KFC was the other camp that had their stuff lifted in the east bay.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Y'all like wind right?

Saw this pop up on social media and then disappear :tinfoil:

edit: here's another shot

gadgethugs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 10, 2014

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

mitztronic posted:

We are shooting for 8:00 and D (many goons in this group)

I have exhausted my networking abilities from festival friends and don't have a single connection to any soundcamps or groups with a soundsystem, so I think I'll just focus on meeting people this year and maybe get a shot at playing somewhere next year. Still going to bring some minimal gear in case something comes up while there :)

That's pretty close to where I'll be - 745 and C

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Alfajor posted:

Since you're virgins, I'll say it: do NOT drive all the way to Black Rock City without a ticket. Whoever doesn't have a ticket will have a really bad time.

Also everyone in the vehicle will have a bad time. If anyone doesn't have a ticket... everyone who has a valid ticket gets it voided.

At least that's what I read on the internet.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

stratdax posted:

Okay one more question. I'm having a tough time figuring out what guys wear on their lower half to keep warm during the night. Long johns + hiking-type pants? Leather? Jeans??? Any suggestions? I don't want to get too crazy with buying festival-specific stuff, because I'm only ever gonna use it this one time. At all the other festivals I go to it stays relatively warm at night. Thanks guys.

Really long socks and one of these http://www.thegoofygiftshop.com/weenie_warmers.php

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

OniKun posted:

I leave on Thursday and I have packed absolutely none of the things. fuckfuckfuck

See ya'll out there.

Yeah I leave today and :aaa:

But for real I'm pretty sure I've gotten worse at packing ahead of time. I'm just glad we are overnighting in Reno on the way up otherwise I'd probably my borderline psychotic now.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Smeed posted:

I've been seeing weather reports through reddit that predict high 80s and lows in the 50s. Anyone have same or conflicting reports from a trustworthy source? I'm surprised its predicted to be so mild.

Make sure the weather reports are coming from as close to BRC as possible. The difference between even Gerlach and playa can be pretty extreme.

This is the most local weather station I'm aware of. I think it's on the comms tower near center camp? Also don't forget that the weather is going to do whatever the gently caress it's going to do. Be prepared for the playa to turn into a lake bed for a day or so.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
So working with GPE was kinda rad. While I didn't find any hippies stowed away during my gate shifts my very first perimeter shift during the storm on Monday was kinda interesting.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Remember everyone; wait at least three weeks before breaking up with your goldfish.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Ninja Pangolin posted:

Have some pictures. Also a few bonus shots of our bike rehab in a magical junkyard in Gerlach.

Nice schedule one drugs there.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

slogsdon posted:

don't think about the principles too much, they unravel really easily upon examination

yeah especially leave no trace, civic responsibility, and radical inclusion

radical self entitlement seems to hold up year round tho

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Also don't forget that a lot of tickets don't sell at face price. The Org comps a good number of performers for fire conclave and other volunteers, as well as the low income ticket program, and what they give to the locals.

And then there are the "exception" tickets that may or may not be a thing at the box office for extraordinary circumstances. I heard of prices ranging from $650 to $800. Also pretty sure the "early bird" tickets tend to go for more than the normal face value as well.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Love that tubatron.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
On that note good luck to everyone in the directed sale :dance:

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Any of you heading to the Santa Cruz regional in a few weeks?

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Or for that matter, are any of you heading to the shenanigans happening in Toronto tonight?

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Eldritch Sandwich posted:

We were there, we're part of the Site 3 crew. Hope you had a chance to stop by and see some fire!

Was Site 3 where the fire trucks slowly cruised by before deciding everything was under control and continuing along?

If so, yes!

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
When I read that article I just assumed that BLM was jealous of the sweet BM commissary.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Any of y'all gonna be at ephemerisle. Details are shaping up but I should be there the whole time.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Ephemerisle has the best moop. We found a giant floating couch, a floating disco ball that belongs to the bump bed (they put their art car on a barge), and we pulled up another anchor with one of our own anchors.

OniKun posted:

Anyone working GP&E this year? If so, see you in the hole.

Yeah just signed up for my lighthouse and apex shifts. See you in the hole indeed.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Turtle Blogger posted:

Is there a goon meetup this year?

Sounds to me like you just volunteered to set that up

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Prowler posted:

The tears are real.

I'm a virgin burner seeking a ticket or two. Since the OP is from last year, are there any new/good places other than CL to find tickets? It's beginning to sound like, if I even find one, I'll be paying more at least 25% markup.

...which at this point, though it's encouraging the wrong

The playa might provide?

Or you could crash https://www.facebook.com/events/1421491501502902/

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Clearly BRC isn't inhospitable enough. Need to move someplace even less comfortable.

You've heard of the Afrikaburn franchise right ?

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Which one of you fuckers did I see with the :russbus: license plate on the 447 today.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Alfajor posted:

This year wasn't the usual "hot and dusty", it was more cold and dusty. I think a whole bunch of people (probably Southern Californians :rolleyes: ) didn't prepare, and that's why Friday/Saturday night weren't as busy as usual burn nights.

I did a double shift at gate on Friday and most of the people leaving were doing so precisely because it was too cold and dusty.

They all seemed so sad about it.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Christ you two stop bickering about edm bullshit.

While outside connectivity remains handy for all kinds of reasons, I completely agree about not living in the moment. Stop chasing the outside validation and just be while manifesting in the desert.

I'd say I am kinda biased because I accepted a new job while out on playa this year but I've always felt this way.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

What did they get arrested for? There was an article published recently with the FOIA requests about BM'13 which had exactly two arrests the whole week, both for punching a BLM Ranger ("simple assault"). Has BLM gotten way worse in the last two years?

The majority of arrests I witnessed first hand, or heard of second hand were for appropriate causes appropriate.

The amount of vehicles being searched after a K9 "signaled" was about the same. That aspect of LEO activity remains a clear cash grab.

I feel like the LEO presence is about the same, however now that they have a station on esplanade (and retain their heavy presence out near point 1), there is less showing of the flag. Backup is never far away...

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

RACHET posted:

I'd just go back to the BHB to be reminded of the cool people that make this event when I dealt with too many assholes.

Pretty sure it's the classiest bar on playa. I loved rolling up to 0600 shifts to hear Billie Holiday or Patsy Cline on the 'jukebox".

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
I'll be there but not because I'm visiting but because I like enjoying a tonic and bitters before I head out on gate shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

Think how much fossil fuels, garbage, and otherwise these people waste to celebrate communing with nature or whatever.

Nobody makes the pilgrimage to Black Rock City in order to lower their carbon footprint.

• Locked thread