Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
If even the smallest part of you thinks you maybe, might like to go to Burning Man someday, just go. 2013 was my first year and I had the most amazing time. I plan on going this year as well. It's like disney land for adults. Nowhere else in the world can you stumble upon a tee-pee in the desert serving hot chocolate, or grab a cup of tea in a huge tent filled with mummified cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know BMORG is using a different ticket service/system this year right? Have the earlier sales been clusterfucks? I'm hoping I dont have to babysit my web browser for hours like last year.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just got tickets in 6 minutes. Last year it was hours, 3 or so if I remember right. If you're in queue already I'd say your chances are almost for sure.

Edit* not even an hour later and all tickets are sold. Wow.

a dingus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 26, 2014

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Definitely don't buy an overpriced ticket on stubhub. Tickets that are sold for over fave value can be voided. Just register for STEP when it opens and keep an eye out for tickets. Plan like you're going and you already have a ticket because they're easy to find close to the event.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't wait to get back there. STEP opens on the 15 for anyone looking for a ticket.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for one too! But more importantly a parking pass. This ticket and parking pass system is such a load of poo poo.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is everyones experience with hexayurts? Worth it? I only need something small enough to sleep in, with emphasis on staying cool. Last year I stayed in an older RV and we barely ran the air conditioner so it was more of a shade structure than anything. By the end of the week I was a grumpy rear end in a top hat who wasn't having much fun because I couldn't sleep. Are they worth building over a tent? Dropping a couple hundred on materials sounds like a fair trade if it'll vastly improve my burn. I have also heard canvas tents are decent, I think my brother has a small military surplus one I could snag if thats the kind people are talking about.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
It sounds like I'd definitely want some type of cooling. I'm not sure if I'll be able to have stuff driven to the playa from here in CT or if I'll have to pick up most things except for clothes in Vegas. Building a yurt and swamp cooler on the playa or in the middle of vegas sounds like a stupid idea, I might have to settle on a monkey hut and tent. I'll have to do a bit more research.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mandaryn posted:

I just buy ice every couple of days and transfer it to ziplock baggies, and then I have nice cold water to drink too.

I've heard a lot of people having good luck with this. I might give it a shot. You might be able to keep it frozen for longer if you've got your cooler off the ground and wrapped in a blanket. I imagine you could buy a block of dry ice, wrap in in a blanket or a couple towels and stick it in the bottom of your cooler. You'd lose a bunch of space but you'd have great insulation and you probably wouldnt have to worry about the food you place on top of it freezing solid.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
What are reasonable camp dues? I found a theme camp that is open to new members, seem cool, like a camp that actually contributes, is a community and not just a plug and play outlet... but they want $250. (Meals, generators, showers, booze, sound system, storage space, porta-poties...) By Thursday I'd almost pay that for just a shower, but its a tough sell to my camp mates and I can't tell if it'd be worth it or not.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Duke Jeffrie posted:

I have a vehicle pass I no longer need as I've decided to take the Burner Express. But to transfer the ticket it seems I have to change the name at will Call. The problem is when I get the Express they give me my entry ticket when I get the bus, so I bypass the regular entry and Will Call process.

How the heck do I transfer my vehicle pass?

I found a pass thankfully! But to change the name of something at will call I think you just need to email ticket support with the details. If you're looking to transfer it within the last couple weeks, you need a note declaring who you sold it to, a copy of your drivers license and credit card or something. There is a ticket FAQ on their website.

Unrelated but if anyone is still holding out for STEP, I just got tickets through there yesterday and I got in queue about 15 minutes after it opened. I guess there is still hope if you got in early?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo! I'm camping with BRCU this year too. I dunno if I'll actually put my tent there as my friends didn't want to pay dues, but I'll definitely spend most/all of my not-exploring time there.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a recruitment post on... reddit... and after some back and forth through email and phone they seemed pretty cool so I jumped in.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I might be a little concerned about the marine battery, but even Wal-Marts out in Colorado had pallets and pallets of basic supplies ready for Burners so I'm sure any store in Reno is prepared.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
So the man is going to be over 100' tall this year I've heard. Rad.

I'm excited as poo poo, probably more so than my virgin year as now I know what to expect/understand the event better. Does anyone know some cheap storage places for about 4 people's worth of gear?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alfajor posted:

Since you're virgins, I'll say it: do NOT drive all the way to Black Rock City without a ticket. Whoever doesn't have a ticket will have a really bad time.

Last year this English guy who camped behind us flew into Reno without a ticket or a ride. Ballsy.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
If your friend has to stay in Reno his best bet might be at the airport. They have a booth set up for burner ride shares and I bet it sees a bunch of traffic.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been seeing weather reports through reddit that predict high 80s and lows in the 50s. Anyone have same or conflicting reports from a trustworthy source? I'm surprised its predicted to be so mild.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

If you go to the airport at 6 or 7am and put your name on a list you can wait around for a generous pilot to take you up for a scenic ride. They were offering ultralight flights too, but EVERYONE said they were terrifying. I would have done one if they hadn;t been grounded that day.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those are the moments I absolutely love about Burning Man. In the moment, getting a geography lesson in the middle of the desert from a woman dressed as a mouse in a bra and g-string seems normal, but recant the story to anyone who has never been and they can't help but wonder what the hell else goes on.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was it really that easy to find a fave value ticket the last couple weeks up to the event? I saw people walking the gate line and hanging around Gerlach looking to buy.

I was lucky and was able to snag 2 at the very end of STEP, had it not been for that I'm not sure two of my group would have been able to go.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
It turns out the ticket sale is 12 noon PST (not eastern like I thought) and they don't accept Amex. This dumb goon almost screwed up buying his ticket. Hopefully this info helps another goon who is just as dumb.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see people complaining about all the tickets on stub hub... but do each of those postings really equate to one ticket sold? I mean, what stops someone from posting a "ticket" on there for an outrageous amount and then going out to find one once someone buys it? I'm sure the people scalping have no qualms about selling a ticket they don't have and then saying "tough luck!" and refunding the money if they can't find one in time for the event.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is BRCU still by the portapotties? Cool people, smelly spot unfortunately. But... That's some goood poopin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dunno, this year was strange. The weather, eh, harsh but you can't control it. But the portapotties seemed trashed and I wasn't terribly excited by a lot of stuff I saw on the Playa. The man burn was a lot more exciting than last year, that's for sure.

I still had fun, but I'm on board with the "something was off vibe"

• Locked thread