Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminus
May 6, 2008

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

There's an East Coast regional in Schuylkill Haven, PA this weekend called Freeform Arts Festival (http://freeform-festival.com/). I'll be there grilling up some burgers and DJing some music. Any other people going to be in attendance?

I'll be there. This will be my second burn and I'm pretty excited about it. The first one was last fall's Playa Del Fuego, which was fun but also during a huge rainstorm in the middle of a muddy field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Anyone planning on going to Playa Del Fuego in Townsend, DE next week? Going to be my second year going and it looks like it's gonna to be just as muddy as last year!

Terminus
May 6, 2008
So apparently my burn group has decided that yes, we are going to Frostburn this year, a winter burn that takes in place in the West Virginia mountains, on a mountaintop, in the middle of February. Anyone been to this or other cold time burns before? I want to get an idea of how bad this is going to be before I decide to disregard all logic and go anyway.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Did anyone here go to(and survive) Frostburn this year? It was my first time and it was pretty intense, strong winds that destroyed many tents, including ours, whiteout conditions, and a low of -5 not including wind chill.

Trudging through thick snow, icy winds cutting into you anywhere it can, you can just barely make out the yurt in front of you through the blinding snow, you walk up to it and force the door open using all of your strength. The wind slams it shut behind you and you hear the familiar sound of Bangarang and you realized you just found a rave in a blizzard. Welcome home.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
I've got a friend going this year and it looks like a ton of fun, but it's a bit too far and too expensive for me at the moment. Plus I've got Frostburn to plan for! I've got all my cold weather gear from last year and the weather can't possibly be worse this year...can it? :ohdear:

Terminus
May 6, 2008
My personal hope is 30s to 40s with some snow. But honestly as long as we don't have the sustained winds and below zero temps it will be better than last year. Around 30 tents got destroyed, including mine while I was napping in it. Even some of the sturdier structures at the theme camps got messed up pretty bad.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Just to add in as well, you could always try a regional first. They're smaller of course, but they're also cheaper for tickets, set up, and travel. I've yet to go to the big burn in the desert but I've loved every regional I've been to. Next one will be my 9th and my camp is setting up a big tower made of scaffolding covered in lights so people can climb it and look out over the muddy swamp in Delaware playa.
Here's a list of the ones in Canada if you're interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regional_Burning_Man_events#Canada

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Anyone going to Playa Del Fuego in Delware this weekend? Somehow I'm thinking it's not likely, but I figure it might be fun to meet a burner goon. (My camp isn't doing it's normal, aka busy, thing due to an unforeseen accident at Spring PDF among other reasons).

Also! Anyone been to Transformus? I'm trying to get my camp to go next year and any positive stories would help. It's a ten hour drive for us, but I've heard good great things!

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Yeah, being in a swamp in DE seems to amplify the mud from any given storm. It was bad enough that my friend got his 4 wheel drive truck stuck in the mud for a while after trying to help someone. Were you there last Spring? My camp is somewhat responsible for wristband numbers actually corresponding to a name and contact info this burn!

Also, on a serious note a burner died at Fall PDF this year. Apparently it was an older guy who passed in his tent Sunday night/Monday morning. No real details yet, but I could see a variety of reasons this year, as it was not an easy burn for anyone... :(

Terminus
May 6, 2008

IronDoge posted:

I've managed to avoid getting stuck despite driving a sedan. I was there for spring! My group camped in the backfield as Tarp City and our thing was distributing electric screwdrivers (redbull + vodka + OJ) to get everybody going in the morning.

Fall PDF also got featured in some newspapers as "the secret delaware burning man". Not because of the death I don't think.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/10/10/playa-del-fuego-delawares-answer-burning-man/91874632/
Cue all the folks who forget about the inclusivity part and moan about how it's ruined now.

Hey backfield buddy. :respek:
I'm with Camp Wrong Way, we bring the climbable scaffolding, aka Love Tower, aka the Backfield Beacon. For the first time, and despite safety railing around the whole drat thing someone fell off last Spring.Coincidences being what they are though we had made a bar for that burn out of plywood that we built entirely with the intention of burning on Sunday and when the guy fell on it he crashed through and it managed to break his fall. 25 foot fall with only a few stitches thankfully, although it did bum out pretty much everyone at our camp as they all felt responsible and thought he was worse off then he actually was. He was even back on Monday to get his stuff and he got a burner name, Dan Lazarus. His name is Dave.

And yeah, I never really understood the fear of more burners thing. I feel like burns are good at weeding out people who are just looking for a low effort outdoor party. Maybe the prospect of more burners will be enough to get PDF to up it's search for a new location though. The current location is good for now but I've heard of some problems with the vets, mainly in regards to female burners, and being more than 10 feet above sea level can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus
May 6, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Whats this?

Cat calls, whistles, etc directed at some of the less clothed female burners. I've never actually seen it happen, but I hear about it often enough that I don't doubt it happens. Just one of a few reasons PDF should try to find some new land.

• Locked thread