Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Man. I was all registered for tickets and ready to go, and here I was thinking in the wrong timezone. What an idiot I am. I've never been, but I just finished college and got a job, and now I can afford to go for the first time ever. Just now found the thread: Should I buy the way way way expensive tickets on stubhub, or cross my fingers that I hear about STEP in time whenever that happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Smeed posted:

Definitely don't buy an overpriced ticket on stubhub. Tickets that are sold for over fave value can be voided. Just register for STEP when it opens and keep an eye out for tickets. Plan like you're going and you already have a ticket because they're easy to find close to the event.

Got it. I didn't know about them voiding tickets which are overpriced, so thanks.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Weaponized Cum posted:

Pretty much what my seasoned veteran friends said. Just buy everything and pretend you're there! You'll find a ticket. I don't have one, yet, but at least our art car is looking nice!

Haven't got mine yet either, but I'm taking your advice to heart and I'm gonna start working on my EL wire art project and my drink mixing robot. If I don't get a ticket, gently caress it, I've still got some EL wire and a drink mixing robot!

Speaking of drink mixing, I'm told that bar standards are pretty unique out there; do I need to worry about anything in particular if I plan on giving people alcohol? Can people who can't legally drink even go? Does anyone care about what's legal anyway?

Also, are people going to be annoyed at me if I serve mixed drinks that aren't margaritas made of tang mix?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

stratdax posted:

I forgot the STEP opened today at noon. I just registered, two hours after it opened. From previous years, does anybody know if this means I'm a million places down the queue, or if I have a good shot at getting a ticket?

Same question, but 7 instead of 2. :/

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

stratdax posted:

I've been making posts in eplaya, facebook ticket exchange groups, searching through Craigslist, been going to local fundraisers and events, and have been on the STEP since it opened, but no luck so far. I'm going to the local regional (Burn in the Forest), hopefully there will be some leads there. In the meantime, if anybody here is selling their ticket (+vehicle pass), I'd be all over that. My email is my username at hotmail.com

Everyone else is in the same boat. Don't worry too much. Make your plans, shell out the extra few bucks for cancelable plane tickets if you've gotta fly, just in case. It'll probably work out. People will notice with three weeks to go that they can't get off work in time, or they can't afford the trip, or whatever. Tickets will quite likely be available at face value a week or so beforehand. A guy I work with has got this elaborate computer model worked out based on historical data and he's pretty sure.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

That's about half the problem right there. Everybody and their mother who got through bought an extra ticket just in case a friend didn't get through, so now there's a vast number of tickets floating around that are going to be dumped closer to the event when who can actually go works out. Suppose that's a good thing for the SF and Reno folks who can pick up and run to the playa on a whim, but it makes it hard for anyone trying to coordinate getting a camp out there but not big enough to be in the distributed sale.

It sucks, but it's also the only way to be reasonably sure you'll have what you need. My partner and I have a friend who will absolutely come if he gets any kind of chance, and another friend who says "maybe". So between us we were aiming for 3-4 tickets. Our maybe wasn't going to put out $400 (we didn't even ask), and our other friend hosed up and didn't register in time. We got our 4, which we acknowledge was a huge, huge stroke of luck. So it would be good to get our ship in order soon, even though we're six months out? Is there even a mechanism for ethical resale right now?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

mitztronic posted:

They are considering moving to Utah because of the 9% entertainment tax, not because of the bugs.

Also the bugs will probably be dead but you should prepare and bring afterbite, anti bug spray, and an epipen if you hAve ever been severely allergic to bugs

Burning Man 2015: Carnival of Bugs

I really want the bugs to be dead when we get there, but I haven't seen anybody say that yet. Where did you hear that?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

What did they get arrested for? There was an article published recently with the FOIA requests about BM'13 which had exactly two arrests the whole week, both for punching a BLM Ranger ("simple assault"). Has BLM gotten way worse in the last two years?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Nifty posted:

How were the bugs? What temperature was it getting down to?

We saw a bug once. It looked pretty weird! No big issues, no one I know got a single bug bite.

And yeah, it got really cold; we left after the burn and our car's external thermometer said 36. Take that with a grain of salt, but still, it was cold. I felt really bad for the folks hitching to Reno; it must have been really rough standing outside in the exodus line.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

E: don't read anything on the internet on April 1.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Well, is it possible they'll reclaim a bunch like they did last year with the "exploits" and the omg will be huge? This is only my second year, is that a common thing or was last year pretty unique? We got 6/8 tickets for our small retro-diner-themed camp but we really need all 8 folks for this to come off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Darth123123 posted:

Think how much fossil fuels, garbage, and otherwise these people waste to celebrate communing with nature or whatever.

BRC is not a good fit for Thoreau-style communing with nature completely independent of "it's really hard to get there".

1) it's never very dark
2) it's never very quiet
3) you're never very isolated
4) all the nature is trying to kill you

I'm not saying nobody thinks of it that way, but I would be surprised if that view was very widespread.

• Locked thread