Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Someone get photos of Grover Norquist at burning man this year. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LoveMeDead posted:

Which regional? I go to the Ga. regional every year. Hoping to make it to the big burn in a few years when I'm done with grad school. So jealous of all of you.

Alchemy loving owns, I love Cherokee Farms.

Glad it's early October this year so the weather should be really nice.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LoveMeDead posted:

We should have a mini-goon meet at Alchemy. :) I'm part of a theme camp that has grown from 6 people last year to 21 this year. It's going to be interesting.

I'm definitely down. Which theme camp is it?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LoveMeDead posted:

Bizzarnival, we have the mustache ride.

Now I just have to figure out how to explain that someone is stopping by "from the internet". :)

Just tell them I'm from Science. I know those guys well enough that I may as well be.

E: I vaguely recognize both your camp name and the existence of a mustache ride.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm reading about BM because my girlfriend heard about it and wants to go. Judging from the thread it's great fun, but I couldn't help and did some math.

There were 70k attendees last year. With $380 admission price, that's 26.6 Million Dollars. Not counting vehicle permits and other sources of income that probably exist. So what they do with all that money? They don't give you food or electricity or showers or pick the trash after you, they don't pay people since so many want to volunteer, they don't pay for art because I see people raising money to create and bring their art projects.

How does that comply with the Principles? You pay a lot of money to be able to express your self, be self-reliant, and to clean after yourself! It sounds like the most ingenious and cynical money factory ever.

don't think about the principles too much, they unravel really easily upon examination

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

gadgethugs posted:

yeah especially leave no trace, civic responsibility, and radical inclusion

radical self entitlement seems to hold up year round tho

Decommodification kind of gets undermined by the amount of money changing hands outside of burns as well

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Alchemy(The Georgia Regional) was by far the best of the three burns I've been to so far. Incendias and Circus Combustus blew my mind.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LoveMeDead posted:

It was amazing this year. It is the only regional I've ever been to, but it's the 7th year I've been. Incendia is probably the coolest camp ever. We are probably going to go to Serendipity in TN next year. Much smaller, but I've heard good things about it.

Did you stop by Bizzarnival? That's my camp.

I believe I did Thursday night in between drinking at science. Memory of that night is a bit spotty though :v:

I'd like to go to Serendipity if I can next year. Usually I go to Euphoria but that's right in the middle of finals so I may have to miss that this year.

I just want to go to a summer regional so I don't have to wear/carry around 7 layers on burn night for when the temperature starts dropping like a rock.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

You guys should checkout the Kentucky Regional, Reclaimation. It is the second weekend of May. This is my home burn and it really laid back but fun as hell! We even have real potties and hot showers!

...hot showers?

Sign me the gently caress up.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Any of y'all at Euphoria? Probably one of the best burns I've been to so far. Great weather and awesome vibes, and all of the camp mates I've had in the past that like to generate drama couldn't make it!

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Throwdown posted:

"6. Volunteers may work for many years without reimbursement or consideration for the value of their experience."

Last I heard that is what volunteers do.

Hm, you sure showed them by sniping one sentence of the complaint.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Hello friends,

I am helping start a small sound camp at a regional later this year, and could use some advice on how to determine power generation requirements. We're going to be running a projector mapped onto a structure with visuals to accompany our music. I imagine all together running the whole setup will draw a decent amount of power but I really don't know what math I should be doing to figure that out, and I guess nobody else involved in the camp does either, so any help would be very appreciated.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
An event on public land with almost 70,000 people has cops??? :eyepop:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Anyone doing Euphoria this year? Might be looking for a group to camp with since my usual group probably isn't gonna make it :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

BgRdMchne posted:

I keep hearing about burning man and it seems like a rainbow gathering for rich assholes, but with booze, portapotties, police, and cars.

Is that about right?

correct

• Locked thread