Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gadgethugs posted:

Nice schedule one drugs there.
Maybe they live in Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Living in Colorado's not much of a defense when the picture's clearly taken in Nevada. :D

Shh! Maybe that was the lunch they packed for the road trip leaving Colorado (or Washington)! :ninja:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

goodness posted:

the planning of all planning
Well its not scaling Everest, but yeah more or less.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Ticket drama (and prices) seems to be ongoing and profitable.

2012:
http://burners.me/2012/02/10/exploring-the-other-part-ii-greed/

2013:
http://burners.me/2013/06/19/conspiracy-theories-meet-burning-man/

2014:
http://burners.me/2014/02/26/ticket-chaos-vehicle-passes-now-500-tickets-1500/
http://burners.me/2014/07/24/moretickets/

2015:
http://burners.me/2015/02/18/ticket-hell/

Also blah blah satanism blah blah drama.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

It's kind of hilarious, there's already people trying to use vehicle passes as barter to get into theme camps over on eplaya.
Huh? Theme camps usually require both work and financial contributions. They dont seem competitive to get into..?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/06/26/blm-wants-vip-compound-burning-man/29318493/

quote:

BLM wants $1 million VIP compound from Burning Man

Among the amenities included in the request are flushing toilets to be cleaned daily by Burning Man staff, a laundry with washers and dryers, on-demand hot water, air conditioning, vanity mirrors, refrigerators and couches.

BLM officials contend that their staff can no longer stay in the "primitive" accommodations available in Gerlach, which is about 20 minutes from the event location.

"We're very concerned about where we put people that are part of our staff and that are part of the support and permitting," said BLM Winnemucca District Manager Gene Seidlitz.

"It's safe to say that if you were working 14 to 16 hours a day in white-out conditions on the hot playa, you don't want them to be unrested.

Details of the request were included in an email exchange obtained by the RGJ between a Burning Man official and Bob Abbey, the former BLM director who is now a consultant for Burning Man organizers.

"Having been a career BLM employee, I expect agency employees to behave competently and professionally in their interactions with the public," Abbey said in his email. "I don't see these traits being applied in their dealings with (Black Rock City)."

Abbey went on to say that BLM won't "change their strategy of threatening your permit until you agree to everything they are demanding including the latest BS proposal for providing VIP facilities for law enforcement and (Department of Interior) officials."

BLM Special Agent Dan Love of Salt Lake City was cited multiple times as the person behind many of the BLM requests, according to the emails. He did not return requests for comment. Love also led the BLM operation against Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy that ended in a standoff with Bundy's armed supporters.

Who are the VIPs?

While one map names some of the government officials who will be staying at the compound, it does not name the dozen or so "VIPs."

The RGJ has filed a Freedom of Information Act request for the schedules of federal officials who could be at the event.

Fat little piggy went to market free butter.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/06/26/blm-demands-burning-man-provide-hour-access-ice-cream/29357065/

quote:

BLM demands Burning Man provide 24-hour access to ice cream

Choco Tacos, M&Ms, licorice and Chobani Greek Yogurt are just a few of the food items officials for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management are demanding Burning Man organizers provide them at this year's festival, according to documents obtained by the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Those demands by the BLM, unprecedented in Burning Man's history, have turned into a point of contention as organizers negotiate with the agency for their annual permit to stage the event in the Black Rock Desert this summer.

Mandatory Items for Breakfast

• Butter and margarine

Mandatory Items for Hot Lunch/ Dinners

• Butter and margarine

Mandatory items for 24 Hour Service Bar

... Including but not limited to the following: Personal pizzas, Hot Pockets, burritos, noodle cups, M&Ms, Snickers, Payday, Skittles, licorice, jerky, meat and cheese snacks, cookies, brownies, protein bars, nuts, chips, popcorn, fresh fruit, apples, oranges, bananas, etc.

Ice Cream: This needs to be in a standalone freezer for ice cream available all day long

• Drumstick

• Choco Taco

• Individual served ice cream assorted flavors

• Popsicles

• Ice cream sandwiches

Lunch and Hot Dinners

• Steak -10 oz. (boneless) or 14 oz. (bone-in), or Beef - 10 oz. (boneless) or 14 oz. (bone-in), or

• Beef and Pork Ribs - 10 oz. (boneless) or 18 oz. (bone-in), or Pork - 10 oz. (boneless) or 14 oz. (bone-in),, or Poultry - 8 oz. (boneless) or 14 oz. (bone-in), or Ham - 8 oz. (boneless) or 12 oz. (bone-in), or Fish - 8 oz.

Menu Variety

Menu items shall provide variety on a daily basis as to the types of meat and bread used in sandwiches, other sack lunch entrees, snacks, juices and other meal items served. Menus may include a wide variety of recipes. The following are examples of variety options.

• Meat

• Beef

• Steaks - rib, loin, T-bone, New York, sirloin, cubed, filet and pepper steak.

• Roast - Prime rib and sliced roast.

• Short Ribs - baked, broiled and barbecued.

• Ground Beef - lasagna, meat loaf, meatballs in spaghetti sauce and ground beef patties.

• Pork

• Chops - loin cut, spare-ribs, country style ribs and barbecued.

• Roast - sliced and tenderloin.

• Ham - sliced.

• Sausage

• Chops - grilled and barbecued.

• Roast - sliced.

• Poultry

• Sliced, or whole pieces or parts (such as breast, thigh or leg).

• Fish - grilled, baked fillets or steaks.

• Processed Meat Items - pastrami, Polish/Italian sausage and corned beef.

• Breakfast Meat - ham, bacon, sausage, steak and pork chops.

I edited the longass list obviously, but seriously...

Butter, Butter, Candy, Candy, Candy, Candy, Candy, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat.

The piggies want the ticket sales to let them have a free billionaire campout in the desert.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/06/26/reid-want-toilets-burning-man-go-gerlach/29357821/

quote:

Reid to BLM: You want flush toilets at Burning Man? Go to Gerlach

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., sent a letter Friday to Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell following the Reno Gazette-Journal's investigation into lavish demands the U.S. Bureau of Land Management made to Burning Man organizers.

Rep. Mark Amodei, R-Nev., also reacted to the news that BLM is demanding Burning Man provide a $1 million encampment for federal agents at the event this summer. He said he's concerned about the ethics of BLM's request.

quote:

BLM officials contend that their staff can no longer stay in the "primitive" accommodations available in Gerlach

Mandatory ChocoTacos!

Its almost like the BLM doesnt actually .. care about the land all that much?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

quote:

DPW

The Department of Public Works (DPW) undertakes the massive task of building, maintaining, and cleaning up Black Rock City. The city occupies over 4 square miles. Its facilities are assembled from 200 lampposts, 2,000 street signs, over 6,000 t-stakes, several thousand concrete form stakes, and 12 miles of fence. It encompasses an airport, banks of port-a-potties, several temporary buildings, acres of shade structure, 24 burn platforms, and 200 burn barrels. The construction of this metropolis requires thousands of hours of labor by hundreds of dedicated workers, all accomplished in a month’s time, in very harsh high-desert conditions a hundred miles from the nearest source of building supplies. Transportation, food service, sanitation, material acquisition, living quarters, fuel, and equipment maintenance are just some of the tasks to be managed. Logistics alone can be a daunting challenge.

BMO pockets a lot of money in ways that I think suck, but theres no reason to allow the piggies to demand endless butter and flushing toilets in the middle of a no-city-infrastructure salt flat via an extortion letter.

I mean this is a real issue (unlike the cops needing butter fountains):

http://burners.me/2014/09/27/burnileaks-workers-want-rights/

quote:

Issues relating to common labor rights

These are things that break federal or state labor laws.

1. Workers are often paid far below minimum wage for manual labor, and do not receive overtime pay.

2. Workers often do not receive forced breaks or the correct amount of days off. Some worked weeks straight, and were on-call at night.

3. Workers are discouraged from sharing information about pay with each other.

4. Workers are not provided with adequate safety gear or training.

5. Workers are discouraged from organizing and in some cases, intimidated in response.

6. Volunteers may work for many years without reimbursement or consideration for the value of their experience.

7. Budgets and pay rates stay the same every year and are not adjusted for inflation, but workers are asked to do more every year – meaning that every year the entire paid workforce effectively receives a pay cut.

8. Managers, Board members, and crew members are allowed to get away with harassment and assault of other crew members and keep their jobs

Its actually a longer article, thats just the core list.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Huh.

quote:

Burning Man festival hit with horrifying infestation as CEO considers moving event to Utah

Organizers of the Burning Man festival confirmed that the Nevada-based event has some uninvited guests this year — a massive mosquito infestation, Business Insider reported.

“What’s going on? We don’t know. We don’t know how the little critters survive in the heat and the sun,” John Curley wrote in the festival blog. “All we know is that if you pick up some wood, you’re likely to uncover hundreds or thousands of the things. They’ve blown up inches deep against the sides of the Commissary tent. They’ve covered the carpets at the Depot. They’re all over the Man Base. So it’s not a localized occurrence, it’s everywhere.”

KNTV-TV identified the bugs as mosquitos, adding that organizers are determining whether they pose a health threat to festival goers

As the event grapples with the plague, music site Less Than 3 reported that, according to CEO Marian Goodell, she is looking “longingly” toward perhaps moving the event to Utah, citing a 9 percent entertainment tax levied against Burning Man under Nevada law.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

mitztronic posted:

They are considering moving to Utah because of the 9% entertainment tax, not because of the bugs.

Yeah but I was surprised (I shouldnt be).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Get all those triphop and downtempo hours up on soundcloud for the poor beleaguered job-havers. :(

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

gadgethugs posted:

You've heard of the Afrikaburn franchise right ?
Time for Somalia PirateBurn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDv4sYwjO0

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Grognan posted:

Had the BLM rangers visit our camp three times this year. Two arrests and a medical intervention. Goddamn what a year.
The rangers arrest people? That ... doesnt make sense?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I had never heard the BLM referred to as rangers before.

They sure were mad about those choco-tacos and butter fountains I guess.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

minato posted:

The rest of the camp are just regular burners, and they work like dogs to get that camp set up.
I think thats part of what spurred this on. The Russian mafia eurotrash using the poors as their servants at burning man like they were "back home".

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/comments/512486/vandals_ransacked_white_ocean_camp/

quote:

I was invited as part of a group to support an art installation. Turns out it was owned by some rich guy and their idea of a camp was for the small group of rich guy and friends to sit around smoking cigarettes and drinking all day, while the rest of us prepared meals, dealt with trash, and hunted down pump trucks to service their RVs.

I met some wonderful people at the 2015 burn, but I will never again be tricked into being manual labor for useless parasites who didn't give a flying gently caress about the principles of Burning Man.

I feel bad for the white ocean staffers who had to deal with entitled rich dickheads demanding everything be fixed right away.

But someone also said this:

quote:

Rumor : this was not some anti-PnP/occupy playa "direct action", but payback from some equally "connected" and extremely dissatisfied customers from last year, who may have been turned away at the airport on the basis of dodgy tickets supplied by White Ocean as part of expensive vacation package.

In general the walled off camps need to be forbidden. You go out there youre there. No walls and no servants.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

What else does Reddit say?
Your wit! :downs: It is so sharp! :emo:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

BgRdMchne posted:

I keep hearing about burning man and it seems like a rainbow gathering for rich assholes, but with booze, portapotties, police, and cars.

Is that about right?

Theres 70000 people ranging from the poorest poors that get there somehow to the most obnoxious billionaires that fly in to take a selfie and leave.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Think how much fossil fuels, garbage, and otherwise these people waste to celebrate communing with nature or whatever.

poo poo thats deep. I heard that Al Gore owns a house with electricity!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Was he there?
No, I think the orgy dome instituted a "no Secret Service" policy so he probably went clubbing baby seals again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Terminus posted:

I've heard of some problems with the vets, mainly in regards to female burners

Whats this?

• Locked thread