Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda
New thread, new shameless promotion! In the last thread, I had mentioned that Las Vegas as a community is contributing a nuclear bomb to the burn this year. We are currently in the middle of our IndieGoGo crowd-funding campaign and making purchases to start building! If any of you are patch whores like my friends, this should be a pretty sweet one to add to the jacket. Check it out and help us spread the word, please! It will be a burn you won't want to miss.

Nuclear Dream
@ IndieGoGo
@ Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

IceLicker posted:

Ya know what? I'm gonna go this year. I've never been before but last night I decided it was going to be my year. Gonna buy my ticket Wednesday and hope everything else just falls into place (with reasonable preparation obviously).

I hope you pre-registered for the sale before noon today, otherwise you might have to wait instead of buying that ticket on Wednesday. http://tickets.burningman.com

I think you've made a good decision!

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

White Chocolate posted:

The rangers could use you but the medical people probably are going to be full of volunteers. I went(2011) to the med station and they were full of people. You probably would enjoy being a ranger more fyi.

FYI, one does not just decide to be a ranger and start working. You have to have gone to the burn at least 2 years, attend ranger training, pass an on-playa mentorship, and be approved before you can sign up for official ranger shifts. http://rangers.burningman.com/

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

Alfajor posted:

Please add to OP:

Along those lines: We (or I, on behalf of the Las Vegas group behind that project/boom) would appreciate all the sweet footage of the boom you may have! Every angle, every "OH gently caress!" We would like to compile them into a lovely video scrapbook

edit: I'd also love to hear your stories about the boom. Apparently it was powerful and hot enough to be felt past the esplanade and bright enough to make solar lights turn off throughout the city. A couple of our pyro team members got 2nd degree burns

486 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 5, 2014

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

QuantumDeep posted:

As a sidenote, how are those team members with the second degree burns doing now?

Healing nicely and grinning like idiots. The burns were mainly on their arms. They knew they should have worn long sleeves, but safety third, right?

I was working the perimeter directly behind BORING in that gif. When you work a burn perimeter, you're not supposed to look back at the project at all, just watch the crowd. Of course we all peeked when we felt the heat, but seeing everyone's faces during the blast was hilarious and quite rewarding!

edit: My favorite video so far: http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152371826013358&fref=nf
The creator of LOVE had no idea what was coming :flame:

486 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 5, 2014

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

OniKun posted:

drat. I didn't even know that happened. What day was this?

A little after 9pm on Thursday, around 4:30 and 1000 feet from the man.

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

goodness posted:

How viable is it for me to go to Burning Man solo for my first time and I don't even have a ticket or even a backpack yet.

As long as you have the money to spend on the gear, transportation, and food you'll need, you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda
My roommate just got back from Australia where he attended the Blazing Swan festival in Kulin a couple weeks ago. He was invited there to re-create his Nuclear Dream mushroom cloud.

He said it was an incredible event despite the fact that the wind blew embers from their main burn into his tent and burned it to the ground.

Any Australian burners ITT catch this?

• Locked thread