Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Got a ticket and a car pass. See you guys on the playa :)

So excited. Hoping I can find a camp to play a DJ set or production at. Not going to hold my breath though... I just don't know anything about the different camps and where my sound would fit at. I have some friends who know lots of people that play at sound camps, but I'm not interested in playing electro or dnb / whatever on the playa.

I'll most likely be camping with Burning Sky.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OniKun posted:

I know some camps have open decks, but honestly, DJs are really a dime a dozen out there... everyone wants to play a set somewhere. I'm sure you can find something if you put your ear to the ground, though. Welcome!

Yeah that is kinda what turned me off (to the soundcamp route). I'm not a dime a dozen DJ (not trying to sound full of myself or anything, I just have a very particular style that is uncommon if not completely unique). I have a lot of friends (and fans) going and I know they would kill to see me do a 3 hour trip hop set or something of the like, so that would be what I want to do. Honestly whats better than 3 hours of chilled out beats at 2pm when it's 100 degrees. Nothing. Pure bliss. (just add weed)

Jaz posted:

My camp is planning to have a small DJ setup. You are welcome to come and play on it. We will be mostly chilling out in our dome, no big nightclub vibe/stage or anything.

Ask me closer the burn to confirm our sound system will exist :)

Noted! Will be sure to PM you in a few months :)

Chilling out music is what I specialize in. It's what I want to play. I have no interest in doing a 10pm headliner/high energy type set, cause it's just not my style.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 11, 2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I want to be this person. Next year :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mitztronic posted:

Honestly whats better than 3 hours of chilled out beats at 2pm when it's 100 degrees.

Speaking of:

https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/chromatic-shift

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Alfajor posted:

Anyone want to donate a Segway?

Fight on?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

stratdax posted:

Edit: Oh yeah he doesn't have a vehicle pass, which I need. After looking around at all the FAQs, I still don't get it. Are Vehicle Passes physical things? If I buy a ticket from this guy then a vehicle pass from somebody else later, do I still need to go to will-call to pick up my vehicle pass, or what?

I've never been before, but have a ticket + car pass and my receipt says willcall. IDK if physical tickets were an option? Cant remember

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

minato posted:

A quick Google suggests that Timur Sardarov is a rich-as-gently caress Russian entrepreneur, which would explain why he could afford to bring acts as big as that to the desert, and why he can announce it so early (most sound camps don't announce any line-up until a couple of weeks before the event because DJs who are forced to pay their own way to the event tend to become unusually flakey when they need to actually prepare to go)

So when did artists stop playing for free? Carl Cox spent $30k of his own money in 2010, for example, to play at BM.

Speaking of... I don't know if I'm going to end up playing at BM. I don't even know where to start and I'm not really interested in camping WITH a soundcamp, which makes me just one of a million people that want to play at BM so it's hard to stick out. I guess we're less than 2 months out so I'm starting all my prep. I know some goons said they would have a soundsystem up, so I'd be down to do that still. I need to rent a laptop w/ insurance somewhere and get it all set up. Much to do

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 7, 2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I have secured a netbook for burning man w/ a backup. If any goons who are bringing soundsystems want to host me for an hour or two, let me know :)

I'm guessing with my software running I will have maybe 4 or 5 hours of battery life if I'm careful. I need to do some testing, but that should give me a couple 2 hours sets or more 1 hour sets.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

HappyHelmet posted:

If people have a sound system setup I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you borrowed a bit of their electricity to make sure you have more power than that, no?

:downs:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
We are shooting for 8:00 and D (many goons in this group)

I have exhausted my networking abilities from festival friends and don't have a single connection to any soundcamps or groups with a soundsystem, so I think I'll just focus on meeting people this year and maybe get a shot at playing somewhere next year. Still going to bring some minimal gear in case something comes up while there :)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Alfajor posted:

IMO: It gets cold, but not so cold that you've got to worry about your legs.

It's been below freezing in years past... I've heard its been pretty warm the past few years but you really never know from what I hear.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
got a tentative schedule

Monday 8-10pm - Desert Shift (Trip Hop)
Thursday 8-10pm - Dune Traveler (Psychedelic)

follow updates here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/461808887289932/

or add me on facebook (facebook.com/jonmitz) and print out the burner map before you go.

edit: burner map: https://burnermap.com/map/

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 19, 2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I have this http://facebook.com/mitztronic and this https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz. Since I never really play out often or anything, my fanbase is pretty small and I think they all pretty much just use my soundcloud page.

Also, you're too kind. :)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 18, 2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Smeed posted:

I've been seeing weather reports through reddit that predict high 80s and lows in the 50s. Anyone have same or conflicting reports from a trustworthy source? I'm surprised its predicted to be so mild.

Keep in mind weather forcasts arent really that accurate after a few days at best. Sometimes they are, sometimes they arent, but you cant count on them.

Based on the weather forcasts, you can expect 80's and 50's with 20-50% humidity, but as for clouds, winds, rain, etc you dont know.

It did rain a week or so ago, and the more it rains leading up to BM the less dust is in the air, but I'm not sure if it rained close enough that it will make any meaningful impact.

Plan for everything - 40+ MPH winds, hail and rain, 90-100 degree weather. I doubt it will go below freezing this year, at least :3

gadgethugs posted:

the weather is going to do whatever the gently caress it's going to do

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 20, 2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
i have a few items packed :nervous:

hopefully i dont get kept at work until 7pm today again.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
God drat that was insane... can't wait for next year. Many lessons learned. Many experiences.

I recorded my two DJ sets. One got cut short. They are online here:

https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/sets/burning-man-2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Did we get a goon meat pic? I vaguely recall taking one but I was so drunk that could just be the desert playing tricks on my mind

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

The look on my co-workers faces when I tell them I found a bowling alley in the desert is priceless everytime.

When I tell someone I got ice cream in deep playa at 2pm when it was 90 degrees.

My only regret about that story is my friends found snowcones the day before.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
SF burners, I'll be playing at decompression 4-4:45 at the 21st st stage (rhino redemption)!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'm looking into buying tickets for next year. I don't have a ton of money to put aside for this, what is the resale policy for tickets that are bought? If for some reason I need to sell a ticket I bought in February is there going to be a problem?

The resell policy is that if you try to sell your ticket above face value you can go gently caress yourself and your ticket can be voided if BM finds out.

Other than that you shouldn't have a problem selling the ticket to someone. :)

e: derp somehow missed this post. I'm :downs:

Magnus Gallant posted:

Cool. I don't suck I'm not trying to screw people. 200+ dollars is a lot at my salary.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mitztronic posted:

SF burners, I'll be playing at decompression 4-4:45 at the 21st st stage (rhino redemption)!

https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/decompression-2014

Hope to play many more sets than this year at next year's BM!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Alfajor posted:

Tickets aquired! According to TicketFly, "Tickets are scheduled to be sent on Wed, June 17, 2015"

:toot:

Presale? Wasnt that last month

e: ah "Directed Group Sale"

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

goodness posted:

How viable is it for me to go to Burning Man solo for my first time and I don't even have a ticket or even a backpack yet.

Seeing as how it is at the end of August, yes.

Tickets haven't even gone on sale for non-recurring theme camp or stupid rich people yet.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

BlueBayou posted:

this does not bode well for ticket sales

Different provider. Ticketfly is set up to handle high volume, the burner website, haha, no

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
well this is totally hosed

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

BlueBayou posted:

Im an idiot for waiting for the green button.

One of my friends looked at the code and it only refreshed the button every 30,000 miliseconds (30 seconds), then warned us all not to wait.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Darryl Lict posted:

gently caress, tickets sold out. It took a couple of minutes for me to get into the site, guess I was too late.

I was in <3 seconds after it opened and didn't get tickets. My fiancee got tickets, although we were hoping to get 4 total to help our 2 virgin friends to come. Not having a ticket really psychologically sets people back from planning to go, so I hope the both still plan to come!

e: e

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 18, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

That website is such poo poo. I'm not going to bother reading the previous articles because of how terrible 2015's is

e: there's some actual good information near the end of the article about scalping

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Liquid Communism posted:

Same here, guess I'm not heading out after all.

Yeah it's not like there are two more sales or hundreds/thousands of people who won't be able to go and who wont scalp their tickets or anything

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Get mod permission is always a safe bet, unless you don't care about possibly getting banned.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
PS: Having my (goon) wedding on Sept 1st (Tuesday), followed by a massive party all day and night at our theme camp. All goons welcome to attend

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Approved theme camps are up, no placement yet. My camp was approved, celebrate :cheers:

https://www.burningman.org/event/brc/2015-theme-camps/

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

salted hash browns posted:

This year we have been talking about collecting camp dues through Venmo, has anyone had problems with this approach in the past?

It's working fine for us.

The only limit on venmo is that each user can only send $3k per week. There's no limit on receiving, so you can have everyone pay one guy and then distribute from there. With a little organization and planning, there really shouldn't be any reason your camp needs to move more than $3k per week around

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
It's a government shakedown.

"In 2011, Burning Man paid $858,000; in 2012, $1.4 million and in 2013, $2.9 million.
This year, Burning Man expects the additional requirements alone to cost between $1 million and $1.2 million, which would bring total dues paid to the BLM to nearly $5 million, Graham said. Burning Man's special recreation permit is the largest in the country."

Last year was $4M. gently caress them. This should be illegal.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

BMorg doesn't publish their financials so I can't find exact numbers from them regarding ticket sales or costs to put on the festival but I definitely don't feel bad for them regarding land use fees. Nevada should be able to reap the benefits of an annual festival attended by 70,000 people with deep pockets. BMorg takes in more money in ticket sales than it spend on logistics, facilities, staff, and art grants, I'm sure they can spare a few million for land use permits.

Not that that's an excuse for the ludicrous demands of the police with that stupid cop village they want...

mitztronic posted:

"2011 - $858,000
2012, $1.4 million
2013, $2.9 million
2014, $4 million
2015, $5 million+

explain how this cost increase is reasonable?

edit: found this, they've posted more detailed info for 2013 somewhere online as well: http://burningman.org/event/preparation/ticket-money/

edit 2: Forgot to post this aritcle I saw today: http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/06/26/reid-want-toilets-burning-man-go-gerlach/29357821/

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 28, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

. They don't even have to worry about the talent/musician fees most other festivals have to endure.

They also don't get merch and alcohol profits, which for the typical 3 day festival I imagine amounts to millions of dollars

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 28, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Weren't applications due over a month ago, and any time to update the application now closed? Or is this for next year? Confused

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I don't think the word profit means what you think it means

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Just a last request for any DJs or musicians who want a sound stage to perform on, please PM me or reply if you don't have PMs with an email. Happy to host you at our camp!

(or anyone who knows a goon or non-goon who doesn't read this thread who would be interested in this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OniKun posted:

Spreadsheet Man.

I am a spreadsheet man for my camp.

Without our spreadsheet I doubt things would be going as smoothly as they are. Really helps to be organized, especially with costs, budgets, camp dues, reimbursement, projects, events, food & water, logistics, manifests, vehicle organization...

• Locked thread