Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!
45 minutes! :f5:

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Darryl Lict posted:

I think I got tickets. Is there a delay in getting an email response? My old Ticketfly account wasn't working so I reapplied to a new one. It shows that I bought the tickets, but I still haven't received email confirmation.

It may take a some time to come through, especially with the current server load. But as long as you have a conformation number, you've got the tickets.

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

This was my first burn, and holy crap! It was like living in a dream world. Highlights included:

- Dancing like I'd never danced in my life and not caring if people thought I was crazy.
- Going to the trash fence Thursday morning to watch sunrise and the Embrace burn and meeting a group of people grilling sausages and sharing cigars with them.
- Delivering mail for the post office and seeing the looks on people faces when they got a letter from the default world. One woman said I'd restored her faith in humanity because she couldn't believe that a bunch of volunteers could get a letter to her from her mom in Puerto Rico.
- Dancing on the treehouse art car from right after the man fell until it parked in its camp at around 7am.

I'd waited years to go to burning man and prepped for months, and it was so worth it. I want to take everyone I know now. This was my first, but certainly not my last.

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 2, 2014

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

El Spamo posted:

Hard year this year, so I'm counting it a victory to even make it at all. No fancy costumes, but I've got my fiddle so all is well. Stop by the Dusty Swan, 415 and A and drink whiskey to irish tunes!

I was camped at the Hookah Lounge and came by there all the time. I loved the Dusty Swan, and was saddened to hear that it won't be returning next year, but I get how much work it is to set up something like that. If you are who I think you are, we had a pretty good conversation about getting flogged at Totem Wolf's Pirate Bar followed by you taking me there to receive said flogging. Thanks for all you guys did to bring that bar to the playa.

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 2, 2014

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

goodness posted:

Can't wait to see everyone's pictures! I live through you..at least until next year :D

Anyone bring back some great pins?

Got this from a girl outside the port-a-potties after giving her a wet wipe:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 2, 2014

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

I actually camped next to the guy who made that video (Dr. Yes), and he was a really super awesome guy who gave me the best advice ever: Say yes to everything. Made my first burn so much more special (and got me into a little bit of trouble, but hey, Burning Man :) ).

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 3, 2014

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

486 posted:

Along those lines: We (or I, on behalf of the Las Vegas group behind that project/boom) would appreciate all the sweet footage of the boom you may have! Every angle, every "OH gently caress!" We would like to compile them into a lovely video scrapbook

edit: I'd also love to hear your stories about the boom. Apparently it was powerful and hot enough to be felt past the esplanade and bright enough to make solar lights turn off throughout the city. A couple of our pyro team members got 2nd degree burns

I was in a bar at 4:15 and A, and all of a sudden we felt this blast of air, and we were all like "What the gently caress?!?!", so a bunch of people went outside and eventually came back in and told us what had happened. At first we thought it was some group with a giant air cannon nearby, until we realized that everyone in the area had felt it, and then the story started to spread. Well done, and thank you for all the work you guys did for all the burns. They were all truly spectacular :)

As a sidenote, how are those team members with the second degree burns doing now?

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Alfajor posted:

Way cool. Thanks for explaining.

How's everyone's decompression thus far? Hating life? Swallowed the urge to make eye contact and say hi to everyone by now?

Yes! I went to a club last night and was shocked when everyone didn't want to give me a giant bear hug!

In all seriousness, I am coming down a little bit. I've started sharing my pictures and stories with friends and family, and I'm finding that helps quite a bit. I'm also looking into a regional decomp event. I think I really need to meet up with some local burners, especially first timers, because I feel like they're in the same boat I am.

My friend (who hasn't been to BM) sent me this article that's been helping: http://burnerlove.com/2012/09/14/5-ways-to-make-life-more-like-burning-man/

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Anyone see the Toilet Bowl, our bowling alley at the 9.00 Promenade toilets? Was on the crew for it this year. Some of the electronics ended up not working and we had a lot of generator troubles, but I think all in all it was a success.

I actually had to do a double-take when I saw it, being like "Is that a loving bowling alley in the middle of the desert?!" I threw a gutter ball, and then had to resist the urge to ride my bike down the lane and knock the pins down. I loved this piece. Thank you to you and everyone who helped bring it to fruition :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Anyone had any experience with the Burner Express? It'd cost me about the same to fly into Reno as to drive out and back, assuming gas stays under $3...

I took it last year from Reno and it was awesome. It was my first burn, and I got to meet some pretty cool people on the bus. We got to skip all the lines going into and coming out of BRC, but obviously still got stuck in traffic on the roads. My only issue (and this is pretty much unavoidable) is that they turn the air conditioning while on the sand, so you're pretty much baking and sweating inside a hot sticky smelly box with about 60 other people for about 45 minutes. You won't have access to your luggage while you're going there (you can bring a backpack with you in the bus cabin), so be sure to pack lots of water and some snacks. Overall though, it was a highly positive experience that I would not hesitate to repeat again.

Protip: Pack your dust mask and goggles in your backpack that you have with you in the bus. You don't wanna be searching through your luggage for these items when the playa greets you with your very first dust storm!

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Sounds lovely. My biggest concern is packing in enough water to last me the week. That and sleeping arrangements. I usually hammock it, and I can't see a good way to get sufficiently sturdy materials into a package that'll fly. :P

For the sleeping arrangements, I bought a sleeping bag, sleeping pad and a tent and fit all that in one bag checked bag that I took on a flight from Toronto. As for water, the large luggage package on the burner express allows you to bring 4 bags, so I put a 2.5 Gallon container in each one for a total of 10 gallons. I still ended up needing more, so I bought ice at centre camp and melted it. I took 2 bags to Reno on the plane with 2 empty duffel bags inside which I filled with supplies I purchased in Reno (water, snacks, last minute costumes etc) and took 4 bags on the bus. I don't know much about hammocks, but if you search hard enough, I'm sure someone somewhere has come up with an extremly portable solution.

• Locked thread