Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Ya know what? I'm gonna go this year. I've never been before but last night I decided it was going to be my year. Gonna buy my ticket Wednesday and hope everything else just falls into place (with reasonable preparation obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

486 posted:

I hope you pre-registered for the sale before noon today, otherwise you might have to wait instead of buying that ticket on Wednesday. http://tickets.burningman.com

I think you've made a good decision!

Yup, all preregistered. I've been doing a bit of research on this for a few years now but was never really serious about it. Now just seems like a good time.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Just got mine, horay!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Welp.

Burning Man Twitter posted:

Individual Sale tickets are sold out. There'll be more opportunities to get tix through STEP & the OMG Sale. http//tickets.burningman.com

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
This year's theme just has me so stoked to be a first-timer. The more I research about the theme and the event, the more I can't wait. I haven't been this excited in a long time. I'm scouring the internet trying to find practical clothing that also fits somewhat with the theme of the silk road caravans. I've been looking a lot into like WW II era type garments but I'm not 100% sure yet.

e: maybe something more Indian or Persian themed, I don't know. Anyone have resources to buy these types of things online?

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 20, 2014

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

White Chocolate posted:

Finally a viable burn in the NY region.
the facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/portalburn/
The NY regional person just blasted it out. Of course I want to do this with all my bros.

I'm only about 2 hours from there in the REAL upstate New York. I just requested to join the FB group so hopefully, I can make it.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
So, a group of friends with whom I was originally planning on camping with, got into a different camp than expected (which is all good and well, they're super excited) but now I'm a virgin camper left to find a new camp on my own somewhat last minute here. Does anyone belong to, or know of a camp in the SoCal area that's looking for a new burner? I'm trying to use a variety of resources and I've been checking on the eplaya and BM subreddit so I'm sure I'll come across something but I just wanted to check here as well if anyone had suggestions. I have no problem paying camp dues and will contribute in any way possible. I have skills as an audio engineer (I know there's a lot of music camps) but can build and do other things too, anything to participate! Thanks!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Alfajor posted:

YES
Come to HomeBrauHaus, drink beer, sit at our motherfucking benches that we've been building, and say hi!

Let's say... Friday at 4pm? 3:15 and A

I like this idea. Somehow, our camp is at 6:00 and E. I don't know if that'll be a good thing or a bad thing. This will be my first time and I'm so excited that if not for working 15+ hour days for the past week and 6 more days ahead without a day off, I wouldn't be able to sleep. I'm about 60% packed for my trip to LA with a few odds and ends left that I can pick up across the country. No sense in bringing them when I can buy them locally.

One question though. I know playa dust will get in anywhere and everywhere but I still need to buy a tent and most a made up of 2 parts with an inner, breathable mesh and an outer waterproof shell. Will this kind be ok for the week on the playa or should I look for something less "breathable" with no ventilation for dust to get in?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Fly into San Fransisco and take the burner express.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Chouffe posted:

No, in fact there's a usually a mad dash to submit events once they open because they only have so much room in the book. There will be many online that don't make it into the book. The ones that make it into the book will likely be more well-attended due to being in the book.

Edit: it's called the What Where When

Oh my god, I just looked at the online events page and holy gently caress, my head is going to explode even more now with things that I want to do than before. 7 days will not be enough...

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Opulent Temple brings a major system. That's about 1/2 of what we use to cover a 5000+ seat arena.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/powersoft_k10_amplifiers_drive_low_end_for_opulent_temple_at_burning_man_fe/

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

QuantumDeep posted:

Got this from a girl outside the port-a-potties after giving her a wet wipe:

One of these days Daft Punk actually should play the trash fence at dawn only to have like 5 virgins show up.

All I can say about my first experience as of this moment is wow, just wow.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I had one of those "playa provides" moments when I was actually returning from Burning Man to Los Angeles on Monday night. In my drunken stupor on a random adventure one afternoon, I was biking past a table with rubber stampers and a sign that said "magic wands." Naturally, I couldn't pass this up so I plastered myself with stamps and grabbed a "magic wand." The wand in reality was just a paint stirrer with some neat little designs and patterns on it but none the less, I threw it in my daypack and carried on my way. Well, when I finally arrived back in LA, where I was staying with my friend, I needed a key to get into the gated area of his apartment complex. Being 1am, there was no one around but we had arranged for me to call him when I arrived so that he could open the gate up to let me in. Well, I called him 4 or 5 times but clearly, he left his phone on vibrate or it was out of battery. So there I was, at 1am after driving 14 hours and being up for over 36 straight standing outside of this locked gate with all my stuff and all I wanted to do was sleep. So, I started looking around for something that I could use to pry between the door and the frame to pop the lock and get in. Well, When I opened my backpack, that stupid magic wand that I thought about throwing out multiple times was the perfect size and shape to get the job done. After a little prying and jiggling, I managed to get the door open and was finally able to get to his apartment. Turns out, even after we had a conversation 2 hours before about keeping the phone on, that he had it on vibrate and never heard my calls. I guess everything does happen for a reason out there.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Anyone see the Toilet Bowl, our bowling alley at the 9.00 Promenade toilets? Was on the crew for it this year. Some of the electronics ended up not working and we had a lot of generator troubles, but I think all in all it was a success.

Yes! We were on our way somewhere else or I think we were riding on an art car and needed to hop off for a bit but I do remember the "Toilet Bowl." There was a long line for bowling since it was like 11pm on Friday or something but I tried to take a (excuse the pun) crappy picture of it because I thought it was hilarious.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Smeed posted:

Those are the moments I absolutely love about Burning Man. In the moment, getting a geography lesson in the middle of the desert from a woman dressed as a mouse in a bra and g-string seems normal, but recant the story to anyone who has never been and they can't help but wonder what the hell else goes on.

I biked down a random street after some day drinking around 5pm and was asked if I "wanted to be a carrot." In the spirit of the event I said "hell yes!". Next thing I know, I'm dressed in a bunch of orange clothing marching with about 50 other people shouting anti-rabbit slogans and heading towards the man. We met up with Animal Control, danced to some music, provided by a man dressed up as a cop DJing from a garbage can, and drank a red juice directly out of a cooler. Some one handed out some special cookies and we partied until the rabbits showed up. Oh, animal control had syringes with liquor to give out if anyone was "caught" but we drank most of it before the bunnies even showed up. Eventually, they poured out of a large, dragon art-car and tried to get to the man. We attempted to block all the entrances but there were just too many of them. We all then partied around the man again some more.

Best part of that story was that I locked my bike up at the camp where the rally began but I didn't remember where that was when it ended so I was going all around the 7-8 o'clock neighborhoods telling that story and asking people if they knew where a "carrot camp" was. Naturally, they all assumed I was on something (which I kind of was) but no one seemed to know anything about it. It took me until like 3pm the next day to find out they were somewhere in the French Quarter. I didn't think I was that close to the Esplanade but I guess I was. Probably one of my favorite Burning Man stories so far. No one in the default world will understand that story...

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Tickets in less than 3 hours!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
line paused :confused:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
wtf. I clicked right at 3pm est, waited in line and it says they're all sold out. How is that possible? Did anyone else manage to get tickets?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
it wasn't nearly this bad last year. something doesn't seem right...

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Burning Man absolutely posts their financial information. It's in the After Burn report every year. They haven't released 2014's yet but here's 2013's.\

http://burningman.org/culture/history/brc-history/afterburn/2013-2/financial-chart/

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Kind of glad I wasn't able to make it this year then. I really don't like the amount of attention that the media keeps giving to this event because I fear it's drawing the "wrong crowd" in.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Hello friends,

I am helping start a small sound camp at a regional later this year, and could use some advice on how to determine power generation requirements. We're going to be running a projector mapped onto a structure with visuals to accompany our music. I imagine all together running the whole setup will draw a decent amount of power but I really don't know what math I should be doing to figure that out, and I guess nobody else involved in the camp does either, so any help would be very appreciated.

It's all about the wattage with audio. A smaller 2000-4000 watt generator should be sufficient for a few speakers on sticks or with a small amplifier and a projector plus some lights. I don't know how most portable generators divide up circuits but you don't want to be pulling more than like 15-20amps, per circuit, as well. The wattage will usually be more of a factor than amperage though.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Cell phone reception? Pack it up boys, time to move to another remote location (and not tell anyone). Half the reason I loved Burning Man was because there was NO cell phone reception. Like OniKun said, I saw a lot of people not "living in the moment" last year when I went and it sounds like this year was even worse. So much for BMO cracking down on Turn-key and plug and play. Even in my limited experience, it's obvious that there is a serious breakdown of culture going on. I had a great time at a regional this year and it gave me a much greater sense of how things used to be.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Main sale is tomorrow, everyone got their popcorn so we can watch what flavor of clusterfuck it turns into this year?

Blue? Well, best of luck to everyone. I'll be joining the fray again as well this year. If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably do another regional or two. Firefly looks awesome.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
FML. Looks like another summer of regionals. Not that it's a bad thing. I'll just have to take a vacation out west instead.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Make Burning Man Great Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Hence the reason for regionals. They just feel more "genuine" anyway. I loved going to the big burn though. There's nothing like it.

• Locked thread