Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That dungeon music was fantastic. I'm not too into the rest of the soundtrack - not enough melody for my taste - but this is definitely a huge standout for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

That dungeon music was fantastic. I'm not too into the rest of the soundtrack - not enough melody for my taste - but this is definitely a huge standout for me.

The lack of melody makes it creepier for me. The whole game sort of feels like you're walking around the edge of a crime scene with no tape up, and you're starting to suspect you may be the criminal.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The lack of melody makes it creepier for me. The whole game sort of feels like you're walking around the edge of a crime scene with no tape up, and you're starting to suspect you may be the criminal.

Yeah, that kind of aimless, ambient soundtrack is generally used to make things seem unreal or unsettling - again, Yume Nikki is another example of such.

As far as melodically-driven pieces, the circus and the hotel/roof songs are probably the best in the soundtrack, possibly with a honorable mention to the song that plays when you start the Windmill.

shoelace
Jul 25, 2013
I've got to say that the hotel music is probably my favourite track so far. That song and the setting feel so EarthBound-y! I also really like the music in the Red Sea dungeon, for reasons I can't totally explain. It feels really oppressive.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
uh oh...oh no!...

Oh...this isn't supposed to happen.

New Characters!
I'm sorry.

New Cards!
I'm sorry.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Oh man

10/10. I have an idea what you did, but man the subtitles were a fit of presentation genius.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ummm...

:psyduck:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Still better than doing that loving part the normal way! :shepicide:

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Late night update. I'm still not entirely sure what was going on last time, but it shouldn't happen again.

New Characters!

Rank
A nod to the Zelda series, this guy is the Hero of His Family. Cutting bushes is a rough job.

New Cards!

No. 15
I am sorry. It is my nature.

No. 24
My mom always told me, 'If you do that arch long enough, your spine will stay that way!'

No. 36
I'm doing a great job.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I never finished that NPC chase sidequest when I played. I never figured out to go talk to Rank after the bear, and so I'm really curious to see how that turns out!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Though for LP purposes, wouldn't the glitch episode work better as 8.5? It starts off in more or less the same spot that episode 8 ended at, and gives a view of some of the madness hidden deep within the game. :unsmigghh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

chocolatekake posted:

uh oh...oh no!...

Oh...this isn't supposed to happen.

New Characters!
I'm sorry.

New Cards!
I'm sorry.

This was genius. If you told us this was the real ending to the game, I'd take it.

As for the real episode 8, I really love that garden at the end. The music, the vibrant colors, it really makes for a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
If the dialog pops up when you're in the air, the hitbox resets to the ground but the sprite doesn't. This was also a way to show off a glitch I had just discovered :cool:

KataraniSword posted:

Though for LP purposes, wouldn't the glitch episode work better as 8.5? It starts off in more or less the same spot that episode 8 ended at, and gives a view of some of the madness hidden deep within the game. :unsmigghh:

It might. I've got a plan, though.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

I don't know why it keeps doing this

No new characters
No new cards

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 28, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't know where this is going but I'm liking it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

chocolatekake posted:

I don't know why it keeps doing this

Huh. The music sounded differently than I remembered. Were you playing an earlier version for this video?

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

KataraniSword posted:

Huh. The music sounded differently than I remembered. Were you playing an earlier version for this video?

I only played a little with the music at the end. Otherwise it's all the same in the latest version.

Well, that's the end of the game. Or is it? We've still got some things left to see and collect, so stick around!
Also, the game was just updated with a Korean translation, so check that out if you're interested!

New Characters!

Briar
It turns out Briar is Young's friend.

No New Cards!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Once everything is said and done, I would really love a full plot analysis of this, because I'm loving lost.

Still enjoying this, though. Thanks for the LP.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

azren posted:

Once everything is said and done, I would really love a full plot analysis of this, because I'm loving lost.

I think it's one of those things that is up for interpretation.
I got the idea that it's a sort of Vanilla Sky situation, where Young is in a virtual world playing the part of the hero. But his doubts and subconcious eventually warp things into the nightmare we see here.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that was an ending...

Hi.
I'm your friend.
Fight me.
Ok, you got me.
Oh, don't drown you silly. Swim!
Let's eat!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's a literal dream world, that much is obvious if you ever choose to not continue your game - Young wakes up, goes outside, and you go to the title screen. As to why it's a dream, and what it means, is a bit more open-ended.

Given how heavily the developers claimed that the game drew from Link's Awakening (a game where the ultimate goal turns out to be the waking of a god and subsequent destruction of that god's dream) and Yume Nikki (whose dream allegories are obvious) for its design, I'm of the mindset that the dream is supposed to be an escape from something - likely something involving Briar, who is the only other character as omnipresent in the game as Young himself, Sage (who often tries to act as Young's "conscience"), and Mitra (who serves more as moral support).

Whether Briar is a reflection of Young himself or a friend that Young has had a falling out with is uncertain, but Sage and Mitra are a bit more obvious - they serve basically as the archetypical devil and angel you'd see in something like a cartoon. Sage generally scoffs at the world around him and actively tries to delay the inevitable. Are you sure you're strong enough for this? Look at the big badass over here, swinging a broom like a loser. In contrast, Mitra pushes the player to go further, do more. You can do it, says Mitra, everything will work out. The ending sequence in particular shows a definite conflict driven by those two ideologies, with the snow world being the extreme reaches of Sage's portrayed cynicism (leading to the depressed, nihilistic snowmen) and the gold/fire world being the extreme reaches of Mitra's boundless optimism (with pretty much everyone there being self-centered, crass douchecanoes). After you go through both areas, both Sage and Mitra seem to come to a realization, that neither one is entirely in the right or the wrong.

Thus, in his dream, Young's resolve sorts itself out and he goes on to face "the Darkness", Briar. (Yes, Briar is "the darkness", and yes, Sage did say in the beginning of the game that you had to save Briar from it.) Things do work out for the best, in the end, though, and Briar and Young walk out... into the ocean... to have a sandwich. :confuoot:

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Here's the part where I tell you that you can drown on that patch of water after the boss fight and have to do it again. Like I did. :(

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
iirc, the dictionary defines Anodyne as a painkilling drug. Maybe the events that occured in Young's dream world were meant to overcome a traumatic experience that he had with Briar? Though I gotta say getting closure via a Gannondorf-esque boss seems a bit odd to me.

Good job with the LP man. I played this about a year ago and adored it. Glad you brought this to the limelight.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Highwang posted:

iirc, the dictionary defines Anodyne as a painkilling drug. Maybe the events that occured in Young's dream world were meant to overcome a traumatic experience that he had with Briar? Though I gotta say getting closure via a Gannondorf-esque boss seems a bit odd to me.

Anodyne is also "blandly inoffensive", a definition a lot of reviewers use to pan the game, thinking that they are witty. The idea, either way, is that it's something that makes you numb to the world around you for whatever reason. Some people think that means the narrative is Young trying to come to terms with his own escapism into things like video games (see: the Wall) as he comes of age.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to the bonus elements. Are we going to find out who "The Seeing One" is, or did I miss that somewhere?

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Glazius posted:

Looking forward to the bonus elements. Are we going to find out who "The Seeing One" is, or did I miss that somewhere?

I just read an article posted by Sean Hogan about what he thinks were the failings of Anodyne. He mentioned The Seeing One specifically as something they didn't develop well.

We already saw all there is about The Seeing One in the game. That is, in the first dungeon and the last dungeon. I think The Seeing One is like the central embodiment of Young's paranoia. The first dungeon and surrounding area is kind of about paranoia in general. The first boss, who I think is The Seeing One (it's name is Seer in the credits) even says, be careful who you trust. In the last dungeon, the circus, the people who follow The Seeing One have been injured or scarred and seem insecure. So maybe that's another sort of paranoia about being "normal" looking (or just "normal" in general as the case may be).

Link to the article in case anyone is interested.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 2, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

The first part of the post-game item collection. There's a lot! I'll be posting another (very short) one tomorrow probably.

No New Characters!

New Cards!

No. 39
I hope you enjoyed your stay.

No. 41
I'm just here to lead you astray.

No. 42
You like like a pyramid to us, too!

No. 43
It's the same drat play, night after night, and the pay sucks.

No. 46
What do you mean money doesn't grown on trees? Eheheheh!

No. 47
I'm nothing but an illusion.

No. 48
I'LL TAKE IT OUT ON YOU.

New ??? (Items)!

You're rolling in it!

Once the property of a famous Bubble Mage

If your graphics become scrambled, look at the pokedex entry of an official Pokemon.

This heart has no name.

Please visit the electric monsters' world.

A kitty statue. Cute, but useless.

It's red.

It's blue.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 13, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
The ??? (Items)

You're rolling in it!

Once the property of a famous Bubble Mage

If your graphics become scrambled, look at the pokedex entry of an official Pokemon.

This heart has no name.

Please visit the electric monsters' world.

A kitty statue. Cute, but useless.

Oh my!!!!

Oh no!!!!

It's black.

It's red.

It's green.

It's blue.

It's white.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 18, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I see you already had that item when you started recording. I apologize for that wasted time. Are you going to explain that horror in a video, or should we go over it in the thread?

Also, for those watching at home, all of the colored squares are identical, just with "It's red" replaced by "It's <color in question>". He currently has Red and Blue obtained on-camera.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If everything is part of Young's subconsciousness, Youngtown and Rebel have somewhat apparent meanings.

The Manager and Watcher/Pyro (The boss on the Apartments) though. I have no idea.

I really like Anodyne and I hope their next game turns out well.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

KataraniSword posted:

I see you already had that item when you started recording. I apologize for that wasted time. Are you going to explain that horror in a video, or should we go over it in the thread?

Also, for those watching at home, all of the colored squares are identical, just with "It's red" replaced by "It's <color in question>". He currently has Red and Blue obtained on-camera.

Thanks for reminding me I forgot the blue squares in the post. Also...

I let the game sit while I went and watched TV. The first time, I actually sat there.

No New Characters!

No New Cards!

New ??? (Items)!

It's green.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 13, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That rabbit thing is dumb as gently caress. My condolences for having to sit through it the first time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ViggyNash posted:

That rabbit thing is dumb as gently caress. My condolences for having to sit through it the first time.

2 hours is more or less an accurate estimate, too: it takes about 15 minutes for the rabbit to cross the first half of the screen, and the other hour and forty-five minutes to do the second half, one pixel at a maddening time.

All the while making that obnoxious "chirp chirp chirp chirp" noise that ruins one of Anodyne's BETTER songs.

This item alone was the reason I understood why kake didn't want to do the postgame at first. While the rest of it is guesswork and/or shameless curiosity, this item is just so painfully arbitrary and... yes, you have to sit in ONE SPOT, without moving, for 2 hours. In a game that can actually be comfortably beaten in three. (The speedrun achievement on Steam isn't actually that hard to get, if you know where you're going and don't spend time getting lost/exploring.)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Did something change with the card below the inter-dimensional area?

The last time I played, I remember getting really frustrated at a bastard of a steam vent puzzle in that area.

Also as far as the swap extension goes, you have to be careful with it. There's a few areas you can get to that are really cool, but if you head off in the wrong direction, you can actually swap yourself into an area you weren't meant to reach in normal play.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 14, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, kinda binged on this LP. This game just scratches the Zelda itch without being really pure Zelda. The dust mechanic is really well thought out.

The bunny is bullshit though. :colbert:

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

The final episode should be up sometime in the next few days. See if you can figure out the bonus stuff I'll be showing off as well. I gave some hints in this episode and also episode 10.

No New Characters!

New Cards!

No. 37
.......??

No. 38
Who carved all of us anyways?

No. 40
Seening as you've gotten to this point, you must be quite Intrasting.

No. 45
At least I'm not a stick.

New ??? (Items)!

Oh my!!!!

Oh no!!!!

It's black.

It's white.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 18, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Archives is a fascinating area and I wish we could see more of it at once without that stupid low-light filter. I think it's basically a dumping ground for all of Young's (and Intra's?) potential sprites/animations, with an added creepy feel once you realize that there's at least one room in the setup with a bunch of dead Youngs. Also, if the Dimensional Rift looks familiar, look back at the very first update. :ssh:

And oh boy! Now we get to see the methods that speedrunners use to break the hell out of the game! :neckbeard:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wow, this sure is the game that keeps on giving, isn't it? I love how there's still so much exploration and experimentation to do after the main game is over--and not "now you can play the whole game again, but HARDER".

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Man, I didn't know about ANY of these new levels! These are crazy!

Edit: Also apparently the devs of Anodyne/Even the Ocean found some tweets of me fawning over Anodyne and I sent them your way OP. The internet's such a tiny place. :v:

Highwang fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Highwang posted:

Man, I didn't know about ANY of these new levels! These are crazy!

Edit: Also apparently the devs of Anodyne/Even the Ocean found some tweets of me fawning over Anodyne and I sent them your way OP. The internet's such a tiny place. :v:

Yeah. The first time I played this I was happy ending with the boss. But I kept finding threads of people finding out all these new locations and stuff, it was pretty fun even half a year after it was released!

And that's awesome, thanks!

KataraniSword posted:

Archives is a fascinating area and I wish we could see more of it at once without that stupid low-light filter.

You'll see some of it in the final video!

• Locked thread