Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Replying to Ootrek's post in the other thread:

Ootrek posted:

From my perspective, they were playing devil's advocate to make up for the lack of people on the other side willing to post in that thread. It might not have been approached in the right way, but I think it was step in the right direction wrt bringing more debate to that forum.
Yeah, Null Byte's posts also seemed to be getting increasingly better as the discussion progressed, which indicates a certain sincerity to me. (As opposed to just wanting to stir up poo poo for no reason.) It's not like writing out a huge post telling people how they're wrong as your first move is likely to work either, those have a habit of being ignored or replied to with far less effort than was put into them. The approach of challenging a specific post, and then building up a discussion from there, is basically how most arguments in D&D go. Except in this case, Null Byte was probated when the discussion started moving on to the specific topic of how to relate politically to people whose political language is heavily focused on morality, instead of the perhaps played out discussion of abortion. Sure, maybe his first posts weren't 100% top grade D&D, but why not just give the (from my perspective at least) improving discussion a chance? At least further discussion might have made up for the "damage" of the initial posts, but now it's just a few pages of people being annoyed/mad/condescending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rando posted:

What did it say originally?
It was just a short sentence or two, telling people to people to post probations/bans they disagreed with. Basically, he posted the thread Ralp seems to have given a go-ahead for here:

Fernhill posted:

Ralp, didn't you say somewhere in QCS that someone could create a bans/probations thread? Both the question and suggestion threads have a lot of people asking about specific things in the Leper's Colony, and it might make things easier to read if that was in a thread of its own.

Ralp posted:

Yeah that's fine. I'll make a new Quick Suggestions thread too but I'm phone posting til tonight or tomorrow.

• Locked thread