Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I think Murakami is really too lightweight if you look at the profiles of previous winners. And it's unlikely to be another North American after Alice Munro won the prize last year, especially seeing as there's been only one previous occasion in all the history when the prize stayed outside of Europe for three years straight (and it was due to Walcott who lives in UK anyway).

While I wouldn't write off the chances of Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o (and he is really good from what I've read) or the perennial poet duo Adunis & Ko Un, I really think it will be a European this year. The most often mentioned names are Ismail Kadare and Javier Marias, but people like Svetlana Alexievitch (although the conflict in Ukraine might damage her chances as this Nobel committee doesn't seem to want to get political), Jon Fosse (but he's probably too young still), Laszlo Krazsnahorkai, Juan Goytisolo, Milan Kundera (his time might've passed by now) and others are also ranking highly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I think Murakami is really too lightweight if you look at the profiles of previous winners.

No, I agree completely. He's also been nominated several times already without result, so I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

I can remember telling myself a while back that Murakami shouldn't win for that very reason. His stuff's too contemporary, and not innovative at all. But over the years I've looped back only because the dude is such a health nut compared to most writers that I think if he holds out long enough, it's not entirely improbable.

But yeah, Kadare would fall in line with the Man Booker International calling it ahead of the Nobel. I've been meaning to check out his stuff. Other Europeans include Umberto Eco and Peter Handke. In the UK, they're also naming Salman Rushdie.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Peter Handke's probably even less likely than Murakami - the Academy's been giving him the cold shoulder for years, even before he gave the eulogy at Milošević's funeral.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd be amazed if Pynchon won, though it'd be worth it for a very angry Phillip Roth.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

The announcement's been confirmed for this Thursday. Murakami and Ngugi still among the favorites.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Okay, well, most of us were way off. Patrick Modiano just won the 2014 Nobel Prize.

Good call on saying it would be a European this time around.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ah. Who he?

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
That's kind of funny - his books have been going slowly, agonisingly out of print.

Missing Person was on Book Depository for years at 70-80% off (down to about 2 euros), and they still couldn't move it. Now they're finally rid of them all and he wins the Nobel Prize.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ah. Who he?

He doesn't even have a picture of him on Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Alice Munro's Wikipedia page was pretty drat bare just before her Nobel win (still doesn't have a picture of her either). Now there's a whole section about her writing process.

I'm looking forward to the same treatment on Modiano's page so I can find out who the hell he is. Missing Person sounds interesting.

• Locked thread