Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I find the "obscure" list a little strange since writers like Vargas Llosa, Pamuk, Lessing, and Coetzee always seem to be at the bookstore? I assume this is because they are all fairly recent winners.

Anyway, Coetzee wrote Waiting for the Barbarians, which is one of my favorite books. I'd definitely recommend it. His style is really distinctive but hard to pin down or really describe.

I recently read Pamuk's My Name is Red and wrote about it here. Parts of it are really good but the pacing is terrible and it gets incredibly repetitive at parts. I'd probably read more Pamuk though.

I read Vargas Llosa's Death in the Andes, which wasn't bad but didn't blow me away. Then I read the beginning of The War at the End of the World at a bookstore a while back and was hooked and really need to pick it up.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread