Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Nobel season's right around the corner. Is it alright if I revive this thread?

Ngugi Wa Thiog'o's a strong frontrunner this year. I started reading Wizard of the Crow recently and it's solid. Other favorites include Joyce Carol Oates, Milan Kundera,Thomas Pynchon, and, of course, Haruki Murakami.

Personally, I would love it if Ko Un took the win this year since his name's been in the running for over a decade now. Tomas Transtromer's a good friend of Un's and for some reason people were making a big stink of it in Korea that he got snubbed in the year Transtromer won, them both being poets and all. It would also be a landmark victory since he would be the first native Korean to win the award.

Who are goons rooting for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

I can remember telling myself a while back that Murakami shouldn't win for that very reason. His stuff's too contemporary, and not innovative at all. But over the years I've looped back only because the dude is such a health nut compared to most writers that I think if he holds out long enough, it's not entirely improbable.

But yeah, Kadare would fall in line with the Man Booker International calling it ahead of the Nobel. I've been meaning to check out his stuff. Other Europeans include Umberto Eco and Peter Handke. In the UK, they're also naming Salman Rushdie.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

The announcement's been confirmed for this Thursday. Murakami and Ngugi still among the favorites.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Okay, well, most of us were way off. Patrick Modiano just won the 2014 Nobel Prize.

Good call on saying it would be a European this time around.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Alice Munro's Wikipedia page was pretty drat bare just before her Nobel win (still doesn't have a picture of her either). Now there's a whole section about her writing process.

I'm looking forward to the same treatment on Modiano's page so I can find out who the hell he is. Missing Person sounds interesting.

• Locked thread