Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You don't know who Pinter is? Maybe his fame hasn't spread outside of Britain, but he was a playwright who earned the title of public figure. There's a passable production of the Birthday Party on Youtube, which is his most famous play. He's basically a less-weird Beckett, in that none of his plays have people buried in soil up to the neck.
To reveal my own ignorance: who's Dorris Lessing? I've actually seen a lot of her books about in second-hand shops, but I passed them by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Oh, of course I read a lot of obituaries arguing whether it's fair to call her a feminist. She's also the author whose reaction to winning the Nobel was an exasperated "Oh Christ?" I guess I'm just bad with names!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBODHFBZ8k

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Steppenwolf is probably his most accessable, loner descends into madness-type stuff. Glass Bead Game is basically a sci-fi novel where society is dedicated to Bach-like fuges, and I couldn't get on with it. Siddhartha seems like it would be good and I've seen good reviews from a lot of smart people, but I've not got my hands on a copy yet.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I guess I'm very tired, and liable to confuse German writers with alliterative names. I liked The Tin Drum then.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'd be amazed if Pynchon won, though it'd be worth it for a very angry Phillip Roth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ah. Who he?

• Locked thread