Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I strongly urge people to give Mo Yan a read. Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out is probably his most well known of his works and it is a pretty great book to read. Basically going through cycles of reincarnation the main character experiences different cultural and political changes that happens in China and is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

To reveal my own ignorance: who's Dorris Lessing? I've actually seen a lot of her books about in second-hand shops, but I passed them by.

I have The Good Terrorist sitting on a stack of books to be read for over a year now so I'll just parrot what some one told me when I bought the book: she is a feminist commie who sucked a mystic's cock and occasionally wrote scifi. I don't think that was meant as an endorsement but I took it as one.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That would be really interesting. I don't think I've read anything by a Scandinavian author that didn't have the word "saga" somewhere in the title. Even Hunger is perpetually sitting on my kindle, downloaded and not yet read, for which, yes, I am ashamed!

Hunger is insanely good and if you like Kafka at all you would enjoy it immensely.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Lot 49 posted:

You should read it asap. It's really strong.

I will eventually. I have a larger backlog than some one who has swallowed a bottle of one a day multivitamins.

• Locked thread