Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Arbitrarily tying laureates to levels of education is only slightly less bizarre than suggesting Solzhenitsyn is more obscure than Anatole France, but less than Coetzee.

Remind me again how this is any more helpful than just listing them chronologically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
With Hamsun, anything written before 1900 is worth tracking down (Hunger, Pan, Mysteries, Victoria) - really fantastic books with a sort of late-Romantic fixation on impulse and irrational behaviour, like if Notes from the Underground was rewritten as a pitiless Nordic fairytale.

Unfortunately he went crazy and started on a downward spiral which ended with him claiming Hitler was something like the father of mankind, driving Norwegians to send his books back to him en masse. That he's one of the greatest writers of the 19th century has always tended to get a little clouded by the fact his later life was a trainwreck of unbelievable proportions.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

barkingclam posted:

I think it's interesting how some writers were less popular than you'd assume. For example, when Malcolm Cowley put together The Portable Faulkner in 1946, most of those novels were out of print. It wasn't until after he won the Nobel in 1949 that Faulkner started winning Pulitzers, too (for A Fable and The Reivers).
It's probably worth noting that, in Faulkner's case at least, he was huge in France - Sartre supposedly said he was a god to young French people.

Back in the US, at the height of his fame, he did a halftime radio interview at a football game where they introduced him as the winner of the Mobil Prize.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

I have the first book of her crazy sci-fi sequence
Have you got through it yet? I've been curious, but well-written sci-fi is a list that, in my experience at least, pretty much starts and ends with Lem.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

It's supposed to be announced early October, but I'm not sure if it's set in stone - from memory I think there are a few possible dates depending on how much time the Academy need to make their mind up.

As for who's going to win? God knows, but it'd be nice if they acknowledged the existence of Africa (Mia Couto and Ngugi wa Thiongo would both make strong candidates).

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

Peter Handke's probably even less likely than Murakami - the Academy's been giving him the cold shoulder for years, even before he gave the eulogy at Milošević's funeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

That's kind of funny - his books have been going slowly, agonisingly out of print.

Missing Person was on Book Depository for years at 70-80% off (down to about 2 euros), and they still couldn't move it. Now they're finally rid of them all and he wins the Nobel Prize.

• Locked thread