Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

I can't find a single article laying it all out neatly, but this short piece explains some of the tensions within the party between the "old guard", composed of party stalwart liberals, and the "black caucus", largely composed of up and coming black legislators who are trying to push the DA to some slightly more left leaning positions.

They had a big argument about the DA's stance on BEE at the end of last year when the old guard liberals forced the party to withdraw it's support for the Employment Equity Amendment Bill. The "black caucus" responded by forcing the party to make a token statement in support of BEE at their policy conference at the end of last year.

Since then there has been some indications Lindiwe Mazibuko, the leader of the DA in Parliament and firm Zille ally, has been drawing closer to the pro-change faction in the party led by Masizole Mnqasela and Khume Ramulifho. The attempt to merge with Agang SA seems to have riled the old guard faction with Athol Trollip, the man who challenged Zille for leadership of the party and the DA's candidate for premier in the Eastern Cape, giving public interviews blasting Zille and Ramphele. There are definately some knives being sharpened.

A lot of focus is on the DA's candidate for premier in Gauteng, Mmusi Maimane. He has been groomed by Zille and is seen by many as her heir apparent, the pro-change faction have been courting him but he seems to have reacted cooly to their advances so far. The Daily Maverick did a good piece about him recently, he's being positioned as the Obama of South Africa as you can see by this subtle campaign poster:

How does the wider black community in South Africa view the black members of the DA?

Also in regards to the ANC left, is the SACP basically moribund at this point? It seems like if anyone should lead a left rebellion, it should be them, but I haven't heard anything about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

But sadly, yes, there are definitely the equivalent of Freepers. And yes, there are also whites who will, in polite (white) company, say that they want Apartheid back, and use horrific racial slurs. I don't think it's much worse than, say, the Deep South, but that's not saying much. They wouldn't say those things in public, though. I'd also guess that a lot of the people joining the AWB (or, say, voting for the Freedom Front Plus) would fall into that category.

Why is Freedom Front Plus part of the ANC government?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Phaeoacremonium posted:

Good OP.

During the last week or so, Helen Zille, leader of the opposition, seemed to have lost it completely. I think the DA will urgently have to rethink their leadership strategy.

The DA's growing Zille headache

What a fucknut. I personally can't fathom letting someone like that run for presidency. They've lost my (already grudging) vote.

Is "Missus class" a South African thing? Also, who will you be voting for if not DA (if that's not too personal)?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Good for them. ANC isn't for the workers anymore.

One thing I'm curious about, though. In the EU, economic decline has lead to increased support for right wing/anti-immigrant parties. In South Africa it seems like the right wing parties are all "white" parties, while almost every other party openly claims to support, at the very least, social democracy. Is there a chance (or danger, I guess) that a black, anti-immigrant party could form and be successful? Or a black right wing party?

• Locked thread