Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
Good OP.

During the last week or so, Helen Zille, leader of the opposition, seemed to have lost it completely. I think the DA will urgently have to rethink their leadership strategy.

The DA's growing Zille headache

The MG posted:

Her latest fight was with journalist Carien du Plessis over a City Press article on the party's manifesto, which Zille alleges is factually incorrect and evidence of bias on Du Plessis's part. Zille also took issue with Du Plessis commenting on the hashtag "DA is a joke" on Twitter.

Many in her party say Zille went too far when she made reference to Du Plessis's background. "She is so terrified that she will be damned by her own complexion that she has to bend over to prove her political correctness," ran one of a string of attacks by Zille over two days, and: "Carien is trying so desperately to hide the Missus class from which she comes."

What a fucknut. I personally can't fathom letting someone like that run for presidency. They've lost my (already grudging) vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Is "Missus class" a South African thing? Also, who will you be voting for if not DA (if that's not too personal)?

Yeah it is, it refers to a spoilt middle class white (Afrikaans?) woman in this context I guess. In the olden days (and probably still) black domestic staff would refer to their employers as the Baas and the Miesies.

Regarding voting, I am pretty baffled tbh. I used to say that I vote out of spite. It worked like this: I'd vote DA in the provincials (Western Cape) because it made the ANC so desperately unhappy to lose it and I'd vote for every trendy alternative to the opposition in the nationals to spite the DA because I don't like their style of opposition and am not particularly impressed with their manifesto. It's always made me childishly happy to do so. In the last election there was no trendy alternative, so I had to go all blue (grudgingly, as I've mentioned). This time I was going to cheerfully throw away my vote on Agang, but they've already made a complete hash of things. I was leaning blue again, but now I couldn't possibly. So the long and short of it is that I don't know. I really like some of the younger DA leaders and I hope they'll take the party in a different direction from where it's been in the past ten years, but they're just way too young to rely on right now.

Edit: I might just vote red for the hell of it (to spite the ancestors and the ANC in one fell swoop, hah), but I have issues with Malema and the fact that he's basically exploiting some really worthwhile policy ideas to try and keep the taxman and the law from his door. But he won't need my help, I'm pretty sure he's going to do really well anyway.

Phaeoacremonium fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 4, 2014

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah, this has been pretty much my voting strategy. Independent Democrats in 2004, yes? :shepface::hf::shepface:

I think I once voted ANC in the provincial elections, but mainly because it was them vs the IFP, and they promised to sort out the Ulundi-Pietermaritzburg-as-capital of KZN kerfuffle.

To be honest, the ANC aren't too far from where I'd consider voting, if I weren't deeply concerned about them having no strong opposition (and being deep in corporate pockets).

ID 2004 buddy! :shepface::hf::shepface:

It's a shame, because from a pure policy perspective I'd vote ANC like a shot if things were different. Unfortunately I can't. I can't bring myself to vote for a party that thinks it's a-okay to put a corrupt buffoon like Zuma up for election (nevermind re-election). My biggest pet peeve with them (aside from the obvious corruption and nepotism problems and their kak attitude in general) is that they failed to reform education despite having every opportunity to do so. That also ties directly into the failure of land reform and various other things.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
So who's anxiously awaiting the Nkandla report today?

I don't know what her findings are going to be, but I have to say I admire Thuli Madonsela immensely. She has the biggest set of brass balls in SA politics.

• Locked thread