Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I'm not South African but I'm really glad this thread exists, I've been kind of fascinated with SA for a long time and it's definitely enlightening. Anyway, a totally random question: I know the SA constitution guarantees freedom of speech, but how does this apply to hate groups or anti-democratic parties? Is it like Germany where the AWB would probably be banned and Terre'Blanche (when he was alive) probably convicted of hate speech, or more like the US where they can organize/say whatever they want until an actual crime occurs? Also, I'm sure in polite company no one would say they want apartheid back, but is this something that you'd hear from reactionary whites (think the SA equivalent of Freepers) or have even they moved on?

I hope this isn't breaking the thread rules by bringing this stuff up. I of course don't advocate any of those points of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

So here in the US we have various fact-checking organizations such as PolitiFact, Factcheck.org, and the Washington Post fact checking page. All of them are considered pretty good and unbiased, except of course when lots of people disagree with their verdict on a particular statement. Is AfricaCheck.org as good and as independent? In fact, to build on that, if I want to follow SA news in general what's a good site that doesn't have a blatant political bias?

• Locked thread