Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

R. Mute posted:

Maybe this is nitpicking, but you might want to avoid starting a historical overview of an African country with: 'and then the white man came.'

Anyway, considering those poll numbers, isn't it a bit early to even be thinking about ousting the ANC from power? The ANC's main opponent seems to be apathy, not another party. That's fine, but it won't cost them the election any time soon without a worthy alternative.

Apathy isn't such a big issue, voter turnout is something like 75-80 percent. I would say the issue is more that a growing number is looking for some sort of change, but what that change consists of nobody seems to know. You're definitely right that the ANC won't lose a majority for some time, but they've been steadily losing support.

To add to Lead out in cuffs, it seems to me the DA is moving in the direction of attempting to be less of the white party by promoting black members to prominence, but we'll see how it goes from there.

I think there's a poster on the forum who works for the DA in some capacity, I would be curious to hear his thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Ardennes posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-24/lamb-for-12-on-400-monthly-shows-south-africa-welfare-addiction.html

Here is the first bit of the article, the bias is evident but I am interested to see a South African interpretation of it.

The real problem is not that welfare exists, but that there's really no means for these people to do without it. Jobs are so scarce that they don't have an opportunity to get one and whatever education they received is so poor that when limited opportunities do become available, they simply don't have the means to take advantage of it. In a lot of theses communities, things like basic literacy are in scarce supply and because of things like that, a good chunk of these people aren't just unemployed but completely unemployable. I suppose they could just be kicked off and then they would be forced to find work in the exciting growth industries of prostitution and drug muling, but it seems to me that improvements in education and the economy would crater the amount of people on welfare extremely quickly, since they would have the opportunity and ability to work for a living.

Of course, I'm saying that like it's a simple fix; the reality is that things are so hosed for people that poor, that I'm not even sure where to begin.

Actually, on that note, if there's any educators here, how have the no-fee schools done? I can't help but think making school free would really help out a lot of people in these sorts of situations. I'm assuming nobody on this forum is poor enough to actually take advantage of fee exemptions, but if anyone did have a kid in one of them, I would be interested to hear about it.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Actually, one of the aspects of them having chosen a Coloured family, and not, say, a rural Black family, is that the education aspect is downplayed. I totally agree about the need for education (something else which Bloomberg doesn't seem to like). At the same time, both welfare grants (to keep people alive and able to send their kids to school), and labour-intensive jobs for the less educated seem like the right solution.

I somehow managed to skim over the fact that they were coloured. I guess I'm the real illiterate :negative:

fake edit
But that actually brings up a tough question in terms labour intensive jobs being available for them. We're not going to be able to undercut places like India so manufacturing exports is probably not going to be an option. Agricultural work might be available, but isn't nearly av ailable enough and generally doesn't pay well enough, so it's difficult for me to come up with an industry that would work for them.

Admittedly, I'm white/middle class so perhaps my perception of what's available and pays decently enough is skewed and those may be work-able options.

Dopilsya fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 25, 2014

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Baudolino posted:

Why would a opposition party that wants to appeal to black voters choose a white woman as a leader? Perhaps as a European I am not capable of understanding how things are in South Africa. But I thought that there was still a lot of subdued resentment about Apartheid ( Why else would it be popular to sing “ kill the farmer”? ). It just seems like a really bad idea from purely tactical point of view to not have a black party leader.

Tougths anyone?

It is, but the DA is fairly limited in that aspect (because they don't have a lot of black membership). Between the coalition attempt and supposedly making moves to promote black party members to higher/more visible positions they're attempting to change that fact. As well, Zille was an anti-apartheid activist, so they're putting what they have to work with forward.

For you plebes who didn't vote a week ago, keep in mind Dagga didn't make the ballot, so you're stuck voting for al Jama-ah.

• Locked thread