Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's interesting that the DA is calling for a massive public works programme and a youth wage subsidy. Both of these are carbon copies of ANC manifesto promises (though the DA claim they can create 7 million jobs vs the ANC's 6 million). It's worth noting, though, that based on the definitions from the last major public works programme, by "job" they mean "temporary work opportunity". They're not really proposing to employ 6-7 million people, since a lot of those will likely take up multiple temporary jobs in succession. Still, given how much of the country lacks infrastructure, and how many people are unemployed, this kind of thing is sorely needed, and it's good to see the top three political parties more or less agreeing on that.

Every time I see the words "job creators" in DA messaging, I cringe.

This is a tricky one. The South African economy has a pretty good balance of trade (close to parity), and GDP has almost tripled over the last decade. Yet, the Rand continues to depreciate. I'm fairly convinced that both capital outflow and the currency devaluation have everything to do with speculators manipulating public perception. It's not actually too hard to do that, since investors in the developed world have some pretty major negative preconceptions about African countries already. Hell, every time Nelson Mandela visited a hospital, even years after he had retired from politics completely, newspapers would rush out stories about his death and the certain collapse of the country being imminent. And the Rand would devalue. And somebody would make a lot of money.

It gives you some sense of the popular appeal of nationalising large chunks of the economy. The country has been getting screwed by foreign speculators for two decades now.

In 2012 the SACP announced a threefold increase in membership to 150,000 from around 50,000 in 2007. I think they're definitely part of the pressure on the ANC within its own alliance.

Just for context, however, the EFF passed the 400,000 member mark last month after less than six months' existence.

E:
http://www.sacp.org.za/main.php?ID=3679

So what's the differences between the EFF and SACP they seem pretty close ideology wise? IS it methods or speed of hypothetical changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

BlueBull posted:

Except of course that this industrial action by the platinum workers has been marred by violence, including the killing of police officers, non-striking members, rival union workers and so on. Is the behaviour of the platinum strikers an example of industrial action to you?

Do tell me more about these new labour parties, and how they will address the vast wealth inequality in RSA.

Drop in value against what, USD, EUR, Zim dollah? Please provide links to support this claim of a 40% "loss of it's value over the past year and a bit". Let's sweep that whole global economy story under the carpet as well while we at it.

You tell me how much money you feel they should be paid. Please make sure to also provide us with salaries of other high-risk jobs in the country, such as being a security guard for example, maybe a teacher as well, police officer and so on.

Except that it isn't just one guy stabbed the other day. There's also the two cops who were hacked to death. And a shop steward here and there. And a few guys who got killed for going to work by the union members, after all, how dare they try make some money to feed their family.

How about you tell me why all these strikers are forever carrying weapons during their protests?

Having read the last two pages, "most of us in this thread" is you and maybe two other loving posters before I rocked up. Maybe you can team up with them to conjure up supporting info on that 40% loss of value over the last year and a half for our currency.

You can look at the history of any unionization movement and it looks exactly like that,usually how it goes. For ill or not it's nothing particular to these miners specifically. And if the police are like police anywhere else it the world when it comes to strikes and I'd have weapons too.

Scabs have always been an issue but framing it as how dare they try make some money to feed their family pretty much shows your position on this it's not going to make sense to you because you don't think they should be striking in this first place. Everything the unionist would hypothetically do that isn't stop striking and get back to work would piss you off.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 31, 2014

• Locked thread