Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Maybe this is nitpicking, but you might want to avoid starting a historical overview of an African country with: 'and then the white man came.'

Anyway, considering those poll numbers, isn't it a bit early to even be thinking about ousting the ANC from power? The ANC's main opponent seems to be apathy, not another party. That's fine, but it won't cost them the election any time soon without a worthy alternative.

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

establishing a government controlled company to produce pharmaceuticals
This is such a good idea, I'm amazed I don't see it pop up more often.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Spamtheman posted:

Yeah we don't really have a traditional right wing/left wing split here. The DA is economically more liberal (traditionally a right wing position) and socially liberal. The ANC is far more of a proponent of typical Keynesian state intervention in the economy but there seems to be far more influence of religion, homophobia and xenophobia out of the ANC than the DA, although the party officially condemns the last two. Both however would be seen as insanely left wing through the lens of American politics.
Has the ANC moved away from Mbeki's neoliberalism, then? I mean, I know Zuma says he's a leftist, but he sounds like the type of politician that would squat on telephone wires and flap his arms if birds got the vote.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The benefits of keeping foreign investment in your country depend on actually extracting enough from these companies either through sufficient wages or through taxes and a robust redistribution network. Sounds to me like South Africa isn't really getting either, so the question must be asked if pandering to these foreign investors is worth it. Now obviously, to Zuma, this question is going to be yes, even without the economic equation coming into it. Switching from the neoliberal system Mbeki installed to anything else is going to be very painful - and it's going to be political suicide for whoever sets that transition in motion.

I'm guessing Zuma's more the type that decided it's safer to just play within the borders of the current system - I just think it's going to come and bite the ANC in the rear end in the long run.

• Locked thread