Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

Glory of Arioch posted:

Quite a bit. Dominixes are in vogue now, but impending nerfs will drive it out of favor in lieu of Megathrons and Apocalypses. We own a lot more space now, and we also have sueprcap superiority.

Seriously? Amarr? I'm going to have to train LASERS?
Please tell me logi's are still a thing so I can at least be useful in fleets while training deadly rainbow beams!

Also, vyst, drat you're fast! Adding me to the right user groups while my eve client was still validating itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I joined Goonswarm in 2011, made my initial cash by salvaging after fleet fights, then trained up 43 million skillpoints exclusively in frigates, destroyers, assault ships, interceptors, EWAR frigates and interdictors.

Now I'm unfucking reservations for EG leadership in turkish-mafia-related shitholes motels in Germany.

Join EG today!

:cripes:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Maneck posted:

While this text is not inaccurate, a caution might be worthwhile. It is unrealistic to expect to earn enough to pay for account time in game for the first 4-5 months. Most goons earn their Plexs via Plexing (no.5) Ratting (no.3), but they do so via ships that can be run afk. Of all of the items in that list, only scamming (no. 2) and PI (no. 1) are doable by newbies and PI will not pay for an account immediately. Plan to scam, or plan to pay to play.

Fixed that for ya. Plexing is for the lunatics like Sixx who want to be handed a contract to go and shoot a tower for an hour and make 20m pawning off the inevitable OSE. :eng99:

Blawrf
Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I'm Blawrf, and you can dock in my station anytime~~

Rowwr
I joined Goonfleet in 2011, made a truckload of cash from scamming nerds and now i'm a director and oh god shoot me

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

E_Motion posted:

Seriously? Amarr? I'm going to have to train LASERS?
Please tell me logi's are still a thing so I can at least be useful in fleets while training deadly rainbow beams!

Also, vyst, drat you're fast! Adding me to the right user groups while my eve client was still validating itself.

You don't HAVE to train lasers -- if you have hybrids trained, railguns are unironically used now as well. We'd use railguns exclusively, actually, if our enemies weren't shifting their tanks to the kinetic and thermal damage that railguns do.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I haven't played in years but I see now that they have BCs that can equip Large weapons. Are they any good? The cost of them is about how much Armageddons used to cost when I last played..

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BadLlama posted:

I haven't played in years but I see now that they have BCs that can equip Large weapons. Are they any good? The cost of them is about how much Armageddons used to cost when I last played..

They're pretty good. Their gimmick is that they are glass cannons, however; you cannot fit a particularly meaningful tank to any of them. This makes them good for things like alpha striking ships, ganking freighters in highsec, and sniping.

I flew a tachyon Oracle for a while, it was a lot of fun.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I joined Goonswarm in 2011, made my initial cash by salvaging after fleet fights, then trained up 43 million skillpoints exclusively in frigates, destroyers, assault ships, interceptors, EWAR frigates and interdictors.

Now I'm unfucking reservations for EG leadership in turkish-mafia-related shitholes motels in Germany.

Join EG today!

:cripes:

EVE is real

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

You don't HAVE to train lasers -- if you have hybrids trained, railguns are unironically used now as well. We'd use railguns exclusively, actually, if our enemies weren't shifting their tanks to the kinetic and thermal damage that railguns do.

While you don't have to train lasers, you should. Lasers make this game worth playing all by themselves. Nothing quite like rainbow Abaddons and Revelations.

Edit: Why can't we have an abaddon fleet? I have never been a "good fitter" so if someone can explain why it's a dumb idea, I'd be grateful.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Uh oh...Gevlon might be tired of funding all the wardecs with nothing to show for it (this was a Lemmings alliance mail sent out after they spent an entire afternoon reinforcing POCOs that they never came back to kill):

quote:

Donations and Great Future
To: Darwins Lemmings [.GRR.]
ALLIANCERemove Label
Guys,

We have the Goonswarm, Greater Western and Fidelas guys perma decced. And LI3, SMA, Circle of Two, FA, Razor and a few other CFC (related) alliances on war rotation. This is being supported by Gevlon. But if you want more of these decs for longer periods, feel free to donate isks for more wars. The are expensive (400-500M/week/war), so any help is welcome.

You have my word that every isks send to the alliance wallet, will be used for alliance.

Darwins Lemmings Holding is the exec corp to donate too (right click etc).

Great job on the joint fleet, to shoot so many Goonswarm customs today (30+). BIG thanks also to the ceo's / fc for leading this !

Tomorrow two new corps will join and I am working on a thing with a big 0.0 alliance who will join the fun :). More info soon.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/alliance/Darwins_lemmings GREAT ! 400 members next week and our fleets will get bigger and bigger. recruit all your friends and spam local with :

Darwins Lemmings - Marmite Collective Evil Bro's - 24/7 WAR - With Goonswarm / RvB / Greater Western / SMA / LI3 and more CFC alliances!

Or your own corp advert of course :)

I am having many cruisers being build right now for alliance. More things are being build right now by our many indy friends, but I cant tell you much more till they have arived (train Tengu!).

Kill them all !

General Lemming

http://i.imgur.com/WeieyEn.png

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Spiteski posted:

While you don't have to train lasers, you should. Lasers make this game worth playing all by their little lonesome. Nothing quite like rainbow Abaddons and Revelations.

That's something I've been waffling on. I'm currently training Minmatar stuff because change is frightening but I have all of Minmatar Frigates 4 on this character right now. So if Amarr is the new sliced bread it'd be pretty easy for me to migrate over.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

smg77 posted:

Uh oh...Gevlon might be tired of funding all the wardecs with nothing to show for it (this was a Lemmings alliance mail sent out after they spent an entire afternoon reinforcing POCOs that they never came back to kill):

What does this guy have against RvB? That place is high sec's one redeeming feature.

Edit: ^^^ it's not a bad idea to get minmatar frigates to five, no matter what. Hounds are one of the siege fleet top choices, and the stiletto(or slasher? I can never remember which is which) is a great interceptor.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 18, 2014

battle
Dec 20, 2013

Oh dammit at the dominix nerf tho, and nice new thread compared to old one.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Maneck posted:

While this text is not inaccurate, a caution might be worthwhile. It is unrealistic to expect to earn enough to pay for account time in game for the first 4-5 months. Most goons earn their Plexs via Plexing (no.5), but they do so via ships that can be run afk. Of all of the items in that list, only scamming (no. 2) and PI (no. 1) are doable by newbies and PI will not pay for an account immediately. Plan to scam, or plan to pay to play.

I already put a specific note

Some of the more common ways to make money are listed below - keep in mind that not all of them are newbie friendly but it shows you the scope of just what all you can do to get money.

You dumbshit.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Conskill posted:

That's something I've been waffling on. I'm currently training Minmatar stuff because change is frightening but I have all of Minmatar Frigates 4 on this character right now. So if Amarr is the new sliced bread it'd be pretty easy for me to migrate over.

Minmatar Frigate 5 is a fine frigate 5 to have. The stiletto, jaguar, wolf, cheetah, hound, burst, and slasher are all fine space wessels.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Spiteski posted:

What does this guy have against RvB? That place is high sec's one redeeming feature.

Frigate PVP isn't isk efficient.

fake edit: Real reason is probably that we have some sort of arrangement regarding POCOs with RvB. I think they help us defend them or something.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Spiteski posted:

While you don't have to train lasers, you should. Lasers make this game worth playing all by themselves. Nothing quite like rainbow Abaddons and Revelations.

Edit: Why can't we have an abaddon fleet? I have never been a "good fitter" so if someone can explain why it's a dumb idea, I'd be grateful.

Abbadons get smoked by alpha fleet and are insanely skill intensive. We wouldn't be able to fill one with people who wouldn't cap themselves out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiteski posted:

Edit: ^^^ it's not a bad idea to get minmatar frigates to five, no matter what. Hounds are one of the siege fleet top choices, and the stiletto(or slasher? I can never remember which is which) is a great interceptor.

Because something to deal with RvB and CFC not fighting over POCOS? Something like that, or whatever. I forget, his autism is too confusing for me to follow.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Join EG today!

My app never got processed. I applied when I first joined and again recently. :saddowns:

battle
Dec 20, 2013

What i understood when i was in RvB is that there was struck a deal on it, i also noticed they started to assist in some of the highsec wars

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

vyst posted:

Method | Sp Requirements | Capital Requirements | Scaling | Baseline Hours per Month
1. PI | Newbie SP | 50M | 5 Chars for a few billion tops before effort limited | 4 Hours/Month Per Char
2. Scamming | No SP | No ISK | Very limited scaling
3. Ratting | Moderate SP | 300M | Scales well with isboxer/afktars to 10
4. Mining | Moderate SP | 100M | Scales to 50-100 Chars
5. PLEXIN | High-SP/&or/MultipleChars | 500M-1B of ships | Scales to 3 chars
6. Wormholes | High-SP/&or/MultipleChars | 1-2B in Ships | Scales to 10+ chars
7. Arbitrage (Import/Export) | Ultra Low SP/High Standings - several alts | 1b scales to Market size

Bolded for emphasis. Why would you even have this. Why. Come on man.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

nullEntityRNG posted:

Please don't start this again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

nullEntityRNG posted:

Taxes must flow

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

smertrioslol posted:

Abbadons get smoked by alpha fleet and are insanely skill intensive. We wouldn't be able to fill one with people who wouldn't cap themselves out.
That's a pretty compelling reason, thanks for that. Is there a way to change the eve folder so when I am in any ship it renders my screen showing it as an abaddon?(or any other ship really) I feel this would... We'll it wouldn't make any difference now I think about it, who the hell zooms in during fights.

Uba Stij posted:

Because something to deal with RvB and CFC not fighting over POCOS? Something like that, or whatever. I forget, his autism is too confusing for me to follow.
Oh, so by his logic they are an extension of the "CFC PETS"
I wish we could take credit for that. It's so good.

nullEntityRNG posted:

To be entirely fair, mining does become insanely profitable per hour after something like 10 accounts mining with boosts.

No I don't mine. But I did once upon a time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiteski posted:

That's a pretty compelling reason, thanks for that. Is there a way to change the eve folder so when I am in any ship it renders my screen showing it as an abaddon?(or any other ship really) I feel this would... We'll it wouldn't make any difference now I think about it, who the hell zooms in during fights.

Oh, so by his logic they are an extension of the "CFC PETS"
I wish we could take credit for that. It's so good.

To be entirely fair, mining does become insanely profitable per hour after something like 10 accounts mining with boosts.

No I don't mine. But I did once upon a time.

You'll note I have no clue what his logic is, I can't follow that level of idiocy.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

Fixed that for ya. Plexing is for the lunatics like Sixx who want to be handed a contract to go and shoot a tower for an hour and make 20m pawning off the inevitable OSE. :eng99:

Thanks!

vyst posted:

I already put a specific note

Some of the more common ways to make money are listed below - keep in mind that not all of them are newbie friendly but it shows you the scope of just what all you can do to get money.

You dumbshit.

One of the more common complaints by new players is that they can't possibly earn enough during a trial to play for free. An explicit caution on the point is appropriate.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 18, 2014

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nullEntityRNG posted:

Just because it's there doesn't mean I recommend it. But in all honesty a lot of dudes mine and they're cool with it. I mean as long as they are making money and keep playing in the name of the swarm gently caress if I care how they get isk.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

nullEntityRNG posted:

It's also not Vyst's list.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nullEntityRNG posted:

Mining is what you do if you really really really want to multibox. It's not great if you're doing it with 1-3 characters, but if you are the sort of person who wants to start multiboxing 10+ accounts it can't be beat.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Maneck posted:

Thanks!

One of the more common complaints by new players is that they can't possibly earn enough during a trial to play for free. An explicit caution on the point is appropriate.

You're right. They usually can't. But warning them that they can't might steer them clear of the game in general rather than just trying it out a least.

battle
Dec 20, 2013

vyst posted:

You're right. They usually can't. But warning them that they can't might steer them clear of the game in general rather than just trying it out a least.

i kinda started out mining when i started in november, but quickly turned towards other proffesions for isk

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008

AmericanGeeksta posted:

There used to be a couple good ones (Eve Altruist and Crazy Kinux come to mind) but today, most of them are terrible, especially the ones outside of TMC and CZ.

I thought altruist had stopped?...

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Cerebral Wolf posted:

He did say "used to be"

I think TMC has a good amount of blog-type entries interspersed with its proper news stuff, but it would be nice if there was a little more, or somewhere that isn't en24 that had more interesting reads about eve. It's hard to fill a working day.

Edit: stupidly fat fingering my phone.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

vyst posted:

If you are so wishy-washy about playing a game that having someone tell you that you probably will have to pay for it is a deal breaker, why are you playing in the first place?

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Cerebral Wolf posted:

As stated before "used to be". :)

I guess I wouldn't necessarily consider TMC and CZ "blogs" in a traditional sense. But they are better than any of the current active traditional blogs I've come across.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FYI -- logging into a character in Jita can be broken in Rubicon 1.2. If Jita is full (and for some reason it is full on a Tuesday afternoon? :iiam:), the popup you used to get to move you to a neighboring system is busted. You get the "YOU CAN'T LOG IN SHITLORD" flash, but no popup appears, and attempting to click on your character does nothing. The workaround until CCP fixes it is to completely exit Eve and launch it again from the launcher, then try to log in to Jita again. Eventually, you'll get lucky and squeeze into a window where Jita is below its player cap and let you in.

battle
Dec 20, 2013

ah crap, gotta remeber that then if i happend to end up in jita for some weird reason in the weekend.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

smg77 posted:

What are the average fleet sizes these guys are sending out?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

JohnSherman posted:

If you are so wishy-washy about playing a game that having someone tell you that you probably will have to pay for it is a deal breaker, why are you playing in the first place?

Because sometimes people are interested in a game but money is tight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Mining is what you do if you really really really want to multibox. It's not great if you're doing it with 1-3 characters, but if you are the sort of person who wants to start multiboxing 10+ accounts it can't be beat.

Wouldn't multiboxing 10 ratters scale just as well when it comes to income?

• Locked thread