Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

E_Motion posted:

gently caress you guys for making me do this

Last time I played, Alphafleet was a thing, how much has changed?

Quite a bit. Dominixes are in vogue now, but impending nerfs will drive it out of favor in lieu of Megathrons and Apocalypses. We own a lot more space now, and we also have sueprcap superiority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

E_Motion posted:

Seriously? Amarr? I'm going to have to train LASERS?
Please tell me logi's are still a thing so I can at least be useful in fleets while training deadly rainbow beams!

Also, vyst, drat you're fast! Adding me to the right user groups while my eve client was still validating itself.

You don't HAVE to train lasers -- if you have hybrids trained, railguns are unironically used now as well. We'd use railguns exclusively, actually, if our enemies weren't shifting their tanks to the kinetic and thermal damage that railguns do.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BadLlama posted:

I haven't played in years but I see now that they have BCs that can equip Large weapons. Are they any good? The cost of them is about how much Armageddons used to cost when I last played..

They're pretty good. Their gimmick is that they are glass cannons, however; you cannot fit a particularly meaningful tank to any of them. This makes them good for things like alpha striking ships, ganking freighters in highsec, and sniping.

I flew a tachyon Oracle for a while, it was a lot of fun.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Conskill posted:

That's something I've been waffling on. I'm currently training Minmatar stuff because change is frightening but I have all of Minmatar Frigates 4 on this character right now. So if Amarr is the new sliced bread it'd be pretty easy for me to migrate over.

Minmatar Frigate 5 is a fine frigate 5 to have. The stiletto, jaguar, wolf, cheetah, hound, burst, and slasher are all fine space wessels.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

nullEntityRNG posted:

Bolded for emphasis. Why would you even have this. Why. Come on man.

Taxes must flow

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FYI -- logging into a character in Jita can be broken in Rubicon 1.2. If Jita is full (and for some reason it is full on a Tuesday afternoon? :iiam:), the popup you used to get to move you to a neighboring system is busted. You get the "YOU CAN'T LOG IN SHITLORD" flash, but no popup appears, and attempting to click on your character does nothing. The workaround until CCP fixes it is to completely exit Eve and launch it again from the launcher, then try to log in to Jita again. Eventually, you'll get lucky and squeeze into a window where Jita is below its player cap and let you in.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

Wouldn't multiboxing 10 ratters scale just as well when it comes to income?

You will almost assuredly have to spread across multiple systems to do it. Multibox mining is all done in the same system and is at a much lower skill premium compared to ratting.

The thing with mining that we hate is that it encourages people to train non-PvP skills. Skills for ratting mesh more closely to PvP skills, so it is the preferred money maker for line members.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Amberskin posted:

There are a pair of guys in Amarr militia which multibox something like 10 stealth bombers and run FW missions. With 10 bombers you can complete a lvl4 mission in seconds. That is something like 70-80 thousand LPs at Tier-4. Assuming 1000 ISK per LP that is 70-80 milion. You can get a bunch of lvl4s and then complete those in minutes. Do the math...

That is faction warfare, and mission running to boot, neither of which are applicable to us.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The new armageddon is a beast. It really performs its role well.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

E_Motion posted:

So I'm getting my bearings in EVE again, making safespots, fiddling around with fittings and all.

Everything feels so familiar except that somehow assfrigs are not poo poo now? I can FINALLY unleash my Harpy stash on the world and not be laughed at? Strange new world indeed.

Yep, harpies in particular are the cornerstone of our FC training skirmish fleets. They are useful for countering practically anything short range, and in particular enemy dictors and interceptors.

Czech this poo poo out: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79395509/infographs/gsf_infograph_harpyfleet_updated.jpg

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm discovering that stealing from the average ESS is a piece of cake. I hope I'm not violating our agreement with PL, though. I don't know which corps are their renters.

If the system is owned by Brothers of Tangra, it's PL renter space and you should generally leave them alone.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Famethrowa posted:

Jesus why?

Why not? Geddons have the same drone damage bonus (read: not application bonus) as a dominix and have bonused neut range, monster large capacitors, MJDs, and a large cargohold allowing a huge range of tricks when refitting off of a mobile depot. If you have Amarr BS trained already and have good drone skills, it can perform acceptably.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Famethrowa posted:

Aren't Guristas laser resistant though? And it's slow, expensive, neuts do nothing to rats...etc etc.

Guess I don't see why you wouldn't just use, well, any other drone ship.

Modern Armageddons don't use lasers -- they are like scorpions in that they are bonused for electronic warfare instead of having laser bonuses. On top of this, they have a 10% drone damage and hitpoints per level of Amarr Battleship bonus, identical to the Dominix bonus, and you can pick whatever kind of damage you want for drones to do, so they will perform just fine at Deklein ratting.

In fact, if you are having problems with interceptors in Deklein, the Armageddon is a solid choice to make gangs think twice about engaging you. An Amarr BS 5 geddon can neut to 30km, which is the max range of a warp disruptor II without heat. Neuts kill interceptors dead in no time flat. No one with a brain will ever engage you in an interceptor while you are flying a geddon.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Uba Stij posted:

Right but it's totally different this time around, because Goons can't take being annoyed/harassed :colbert:

This is very sad, but very true. Our collective response to the interceptor change hasn't been to move to ceptor-proof ratting fits that *gasp* might have lower isk/hr, it's been to lose the same ships in droves and whine about it. :smithcloud:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Uba Stij posted:

I'm just shocked people are that serious about ratting as opposed to the other ways to make ISK that's not as tedious/dull. Scamming is awesome in ISK income for me. Also the whole "it's bullshit you can AFK ina Slowcat but let me AF in my VNI/Ishtar" logic is weird but I'm not a ratter so maybe there's some difference I must be missing.

Yeah, I don't really get it, either. I personally view ratting as what you do when you are new and/or destitute, and that it is only a stepping stone to more elegant, less efforty money making. Not everyone sees it my way.

I can sympathize with the AFK thing, though -- PVE in this game is horrid and any shortcuts you can take on it is generally welcomed. I still feel like the AFK heavy drone ratting meta has a finite lifetime; CCP can't have failed to notice the 20,000+ NPCs killed in conquerable nullsec daily per system.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thurin posted:

For those of us who don't know the exact mechanics involved here, what makes 2 seconds the magic number? Are you immune to targeting during the first and last server ticks of your warpout?

Eve resolves every action at a maximum granularity of one second. Thus, in a gatecamp scenario, the first second is spent registering the gate cloak falling off. After that, you have one second to register a lock. Assuming that prefiring your modules lets you apply points immediately after locking (and this is not completely understood to be true or false,) if your align is under 2 seconds, and nothing like a bubble is stopping you from warping, you are not catchable.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

If you don't like your name, just claim you bought your dude. Plenty of us have characters with especially awful names that we bought from the Character Bazaar. It just doesn't matter that much.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MickeyFinn posted:

What stops the groups that are outnumbered from recruiting? There are tens of thousands of high sec dwellers (online during any given hour) and lots of them want in on null sec, based on how many of them get scammed by Goonfleet.

Their problem is that they don't want newbies or want to have to train folks to play the game -- our enemies typically want pre-established pilots who already own capital / supercapital ships. Naturally, there are fewer of those people around than there are bald-faced newbies with barely a celestis to their name.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Why would nullification be better as a module? Couldn't they just remove a low slot or adjust the fitting of the ship to lower the potential options for fitting a nullified ship? More to the point, who in their right mind would choose NOT to fit the nullifier?

e:

Klyith posted:

My dream change would be to alter all nullified ships so that you have to hit a higher speed to warp out of a bubble instead of 75%. Going from the formula on aligning from the eve wiki, 90% seems like a good number. It would make everything take a bit longer to warp when bubbled, and pretty much kill the 2s warp interceptor in nullsec. But outside a bubble the inty would be just as fast & maneuverable as ever.
code:
        Ares     2i Mal   3i Mal   Loki
50%     1.31     1.14     1.01     3.45
75%     2.61     2.29     2.02     6.90
90%     4.34     3.80     3.36     11.46
95%     5.65     4.94     4.38     14.91
x% is % of max speed, numbers are seconds. The ares is a basic tackle fit with 1 nano, the Mals are maledictions with 2 & 3 istabs, the loki is a covert fit with 1 nano & a poly rig. Uboat T3s could still use the mwd trick to warp in 10 seconds.

This is a pretty cool idea.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vatek posted:

That would make interceptors trivial to catch and nullified T3s would be downright suicidal. It's a good idea, but the numbers are too harsh.

Yeah, but the numbers can be tweaked and can be set per ship — e.g. maybe a Loki warps at 80% speed, ceptors at 90%. The idea itself is good because it decouples agility from time to enter warp.

The downside is that it adds yet another variable to have to keep track of when flying a spaceship, but they could compensate with UI — on the speed indicator on the UI, color in the portion of the bar that covers the speeds at which you can enter warp.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

goodness posted:

All this talk of interceptors and no mention of the stiletto. Are they bad?

The stiletto is a solid choice for tackling a nerd due to its four highmid slots. The malediction and crow get special mention because they are bonused for light missiles, which can apply damage perfectly to nearly any ship other than a halo'd out interceptor or possibly pod at 50km (malediction) and 70km (crow.) Needless to say, this allows you considerable leeway when choosing when to engage and when to disengage.

e: vvvvvv :downs:

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 21, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

goodness posted:

So it's just a tackle ship, ok that makes sense. Does the claw fair any better in combat like the others?

Not really, compared to light missiles. You just can't match LMLs for damage application right now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I use a claw to clear siphons off of my moons :byodood:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OGS-Remix posted:

Edit: Speaking of moon siphons, do they show up on dscan or do you actually have to probe them down? If they show up on dscan it seems too easy to keep them around.

Even if they didn't show up on dscan OR probes, they would still show up on grid at the moon. When I'm bored I'll zip around the few moons that I have that are vulnerable to siphoning in said claw and just warp to my tower bookmarks and look for a siphon on grid.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, if they did the work to make the minimum warp speed variable, they could just tune every ship differently. Maybe the Loki is at 80%, etc.

I still think making the interdiction nullifier be a module is dumb, though. Just bake whatever changes need to be made into the cpu/grid/module slots, don't add a "optional but really mandatory" module you have to buy to make the ship worthwhile. Eve has enough of that poo poo already.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FoF posted:

FYF Jammers function out to 200km so short range dps isn't an option.

What?

Note the 81km optimal and 100km lock range.
I forgot to add a mindlink to this picture; actual stats are 100km optimal, 150km lock range.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 21, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

smg77 posted:

What is it if you add boosters?

Note the presence of an Eos boosting the ship in the bottom.

e: Actually, whoops, I forgot to put in a mindlink in that eos. That bumps it up to 100km optimal 150km lock range.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

smg77 posted:

Fleet and Squad boosters don't make a difference? Or is that covered by the Eos? (I don't really know how boosting works)

The eos has all the appropriate gang bonuses that affect a celestis in its ewar role, so I just added it. I could add a vulture and a claymore to add siege/skrimish bonuses, but felt it unnecessary for the example.

Also like I noted above I forgot to put a mindlink in the eos so the actual stats are 100km optimal / 150km lock range.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

cajunspitfire posted:

Stealth bombers do it faster and have the ability to cloak. Just sayin'

They don't have interdiction nullification. I have cleared two siphons since I took these moons four months ago.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I love it when people start throwing around numbers like "FIFTY FIVE THOUSAND PILOTS" or "TWENTY-TWO THOUSAND PILOTS", like the total number of characters in one alliance is actually meaningful. Who the hell doesn't have more than one character in this game? I have 11 dudes that count towards one of those hyperbolic numbers myself, and I'm only one person.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

InterFaced posted:

Its me. I'm the weirdo with one combat oriented subcap character who rats for money and enjoys camping with friends.

shuuuunnnnn

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thurin posted:

Seems like if you got a warpin on a celestis then a bunch of taloses would do the job nicely.

Edited in a quote for clarity.

That would require them to field more than one ship type. :goleft: BEEP BOOP NOT ALLOWED :goleft:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ynglaur posted:

Not to mention said ship type isn't a capital or supercapital. I mean, a Thoraxcelestis isn't even a T2 or T3. :colbert:

It's also way too inexpensive to be fielded. We can't call it ELITE PVP unless the ship is at least 100m for the hull. :shepface:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

zzyzx posted:

You need a hobby.

Man, if you think 11 people is "you need a hobby" territory, you have not even scratched the surface of insanity that this game foments. I am baby-league territory with my poo poo.

e: also, "11 dudes" is only 4 accountsworth of mans. It's not like you log in and mess with every dude you have -- most of those dudes just sit in one station and light cynos. They don't even train. That's all they exist to do.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 21, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Incursus posted:

Do what? You can buy cyno bombers and blueprint/build alts for fairly cheap, and multi-box pretty well with 4 accounts.

I have flown Oneiros, Vindicator, Falcon, and cloaky eyes at the same time. There are people who can run more than that! The micro is weak in you young padawan!

The most I have done in nullsec is Scimi, Maelstrom, and cyno bomber (yes I actually dropped in a titan on PL slowcats while doing this).

I've multiboxed I think a maximum of six characters at once. Without ISBoxer.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

evilweasel posted:

How many were cyno alts?

One, a rapier.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

^^^ This is not correct, sorry mang

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I thought this stopped being a thing years ago and anomaly generation is completely randomized now..

Nope. In Incursion 1.4 they changed it so ihub spawned anom quality is directly tied to truesec. Hilariously, this reduced the total number of high-end anoms in nullsec by a factor of approximation 1.41 hojillion.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OGS-Remix posted:

Edit: So what do pirate detection upgrades do then? If it's just increasing the chance of an escalation, that's a big waste of money to have so many systems upgraded.

The PDA upgrades actually allow those anoms to spawn in the first place. They've always done this. The change in Incursion 1.4 was to make what anoms you actually got contingent on truesec. Before this change, every system spawned at least 3 sanctums, equivalent to the best band of truesec. Now, only -0.85 to -1.00 can do this. This is why Pure Blind and Providence are valueless shitholes and regions like Deklein are very nice for ratting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

darthzeta88 posted:

Please no... I don't want arbi's to get nerfed...

But Arby's already tastes like nerf foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

subhelios posted:

Sigma jabber was literally just discussing this :v:

Makes sense; sigmas are terrible. You can trust them for reliable advice on two things: goats, and getting banned for RMT.

• Locked thread