Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I doubt mission running scales very well with multiple accounts given how much of your time would be spent simply traveling between missions and not shooting torpedoes at things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Thanks to gate cloak and the game using 1 second server ticks, it's mechanically impossible to catch something coming through a gate if it has an align time under two seconds. CCP has nerfed the agility of Interceptors, particulary Crows and Maledictions, which were the most problematic, to try to mitigate the effectiveness of literally untouchable roaming gangs. It can still be done, but it involves fits with three or more Inertia Stabilizers in the low slots and even something that isn't literally impossible to catch still requires very, very high lock times to catch.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

JohnSherman posted:

My understanding of it, and someone will probably correct me, is that the theoretical DPS of drone fleets is actually lower than turrets, but the ability to fire every drone in fleet at once gave drone assist doctrines the edge. Since we are moving away from domis post-patch, I'd say that will no longer be the case.

No, before the nerfs drones had damage and range that were generally on the high end for large guns combined with absolutely ridiculous tracking. They were basically large guns that tracked like mediums, which meant hilarious poo poo like Interceptors with full transversal being unable to come anywhere near them. Jayne Fillion ran some numerical comparisons in a TMDC article here.

This has since been toned down with nerfs to the Dominix hull itself and the Omnidirectional Tracking Link module, which previously provided the same bonus as a scripted Tracking Computer to both range and tracking simultaneously. Of course, there are also some benefits to drone assist fleets that wont' show up on graphs. For example, a Dominix doesn't need to lock its own targets, so where most fleet battleships would need to fit a Sensor Booster, it can fit another tracking module instead.

Still, I want to thank N3 for repeatedly attempting to fly Proteus Fleets against giant blobs of things that could not fail to track you.

EDIT:

Mexplosivo posted:

Well if they can be caught in gate camps (willingly or unwillingly) then i'm not sure what the argument is.

I think you missed his point entirely, but that's okay because you actually weren't adding anything to the discussion anyways.

(HINT: we aren't talking about Interceptors in general. Properly fit, Maledictions and Crows can't be caught on gatecamps, which means you can't do anything to keep them out of your space)

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Vatek posted:

Interceptors are half or more of the traffic I see in a nullsec gatecamp these days. I really don't think bubble immunity is necessary to perform their role but CCP disagrees I guess.

I wouldn't give too much weight to this statistic. While I'm not questioning your statement, I would venture that a significant portion of that traffic is people who otherwise wouldn't have attempted to move through dangerous space if they didn't know they could do it safely.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
We're honestly not sure on that one, but it doesn't matter in the case of the interceptors on gates because gate cloak accounts for the first second of their alignment.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The proposed page for the Worm specified that it only received the bonus to light drones, so presumably the Gila and Rattlesnake will have similar limitations to keep them from using a flight of hilariously boosted drones of the next size category down.

Also, please god no Sentry bonus on the Rattlesnake I don't want to relive that chapter.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think the Rattlesnake would be pretty good for a whole lot of things if it could field an effective 20 Hammerheads.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
On a bonused ship like the Bhaalgorn, one NOS will return more energy than a Neut consumes. Normally this wouldn't be very helpful because finding something near a Bhaalgorn with enough cap to suck on would be unreliable, to say the least. With the coming change, this means any hostile ship, including whatever poor bastard you're nuking right now, will be a powerful source of capacitor.

A Bhaalgorn with guaranteed bonus NOS cap will be able to do some pretty disgusting things.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Elmnt80 posted:

Officer noses on a bhaalgorn drain much more cap and cycle much faster at longer ranges than the nuets at a reduced price. Now I have an excuse for throwing money at my bhaal besides "when I lose it, I quit".

EDIT: 7.4s cycle time with high grade talismans on a Chelm's Nos, which means its cycling at the same speed as a medium nuet.

You might want to consider buying that now before they spike in price, since there might actually be a reason to use them now.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Booley posted:

I like the people who think that actual alliance logistics services let people use collateral. If you can't trust your alliance logistics, you're probably in the wrong alliance.

Obligatory reference to TEST JF services.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Graviton Physics just became the best PvE skill in the game.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Artificer posted:

So if I, as a 15 day old newbie, hop into a cruiser or something...?

Blow up > receive 50 million > repeat

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fix Lag posted:

:getin:

Suddenly, suicide is the only option.

The downside is that our stratops will probably have no dictors left after first contact with the enemy.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Self-destructing doesn't generate a killmail that you could link for reimbursement.

This doesn't mean nobody will try it; it just means they're going to end up silently burying their shame.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
A serious-business fleet flies specific ships with specific fittings and will typically have basic skill requirements for reimbursement, at least on the more expensive ships (we also have strategic support fleets for newbies that have very easy-to-train fits and no skill requirements). However, general "loving around in space" ships aren't subject to such strict scrutiny. Something expensive might require T2 guns or get denied for a terrible fit, but the kind of things you'll fly as a newbie are basically guaranteed reimbursement.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Numismancer posted:

You're reaching because you got caught out spewing bullshit while trying to criticize our RSF-era leadership. Accept your failure and move on. Aren't you the bitter guy who joined TEST and spent the entire phase of that war writing fanfic?

No, he spent most of it being banned.

In any case, FYF can already damp past its own lock range so a bit of a range nerf to them isn't a big deal.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
As someone new to the game, reading what Titans could pull off in the Manifesto was pretty staggering. I knew remote AoE doomsdays were a thing but then they mentioned stuff like being able to get back to jump cap in ~10 seconds with no DD timer and it all just turned into a bad joke.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

mikey posted:

Small gang was also unquestionably more awesome before the combination of speed nerf and logistics buffs in late 2008. The individual skill ceiling was much higher, and combat tended to be higher-risk and lower-commitment-- it had to be, as everything was comparatively far more expensive. Even after invention in 2007, a rigged and T2-fitted Recon or HAC still cost around 250m, which is probably close to 800-900m now accounting for inflation.

This made it really, really satisfying to outsmart some smug rear end in a top hat in a nanoed-out Vagabond and relieve him of the equivalent of a week or two of isk grinding. Snakes were so expensive that we actually used to have Vaga pilots eject in combat to warp their pods off when we had no bubble (usually when playing gate games, since dictors couldn't bubble+jump properly at that time). I think I ended up with at least 2 free Vagabonds from that.

I would bail right the gently caress out of a Vagabond if I thought doing so would somehow save my Snake clone.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Uba Stij posted:

I've been suicide ganking for three weeks straight in 0.5 and up systems, and my sec status has only gone from -9.1 to -9.4 :negative:

It feels like it's pretty much pods or bust to tank your sec status once you break -8 or so.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Your fit is goofy but honestly not that retarded. The only other reasonable choice for your third low was an extra Ballistic Control system, and throwing plates onto ASB ships to try to live through reloads isn't actually that weird in the world of gimmicky lowsec solo fits. On the other hand, a 400mm plate is a frigate module and will do very little for whatever larger ship you were flying. Was that a Drake?

Other things that would have helped: use a scrambler instead of a long point on those kind of fits. You're an Afterburner Drake; putting a long point on something that can still MWD is not catching it, it's just annoying it slightly as it flies away. It also frees up some CPU for crazy things like actually using all your mid slots. A second web will help you bring your full damage to bear even harder against sig-tanking small targets. You should also overheat your ASBs; it gives you more rep per charge and you will be dead long before they burn out from heat damage.

Most imporantly; that fit has a shitload of grid left over and a free high slot for a medium energy neutralizer, which is basically a giant "get hosed" button for frigates that come within scram/web range of you. If you'd had a neut, you probably would have zapped those Wolves down to no cap right away, turning off their afterburners and making them easier targets for your light missiles.

I'm honestly a little confused as to how a pair of Wolves were even able to break a dual-ASB Drake in the first place, to be honest.

Anyways, here's that fit tuned up a little:

code:
[Drake, New Setup 1]
Ballistic Control System II
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I

Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150
Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150
Experimental 10MN Afterburner I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Mjolnir Light Missile
Medium Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I
Downgrade to T1 guns if that's what you can use, it's not a big deal. Also keep in mind that Rapid Lights aren't bonused on this thing, so it's pretty much just a gimmicky bait for dumb frigates like those Wolves. The good news is that you will absolutely skullfuck any frigate that comes within 10km of you.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 28, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, my bad, it was totally a Caracal. That makes a little more sense, though I was more expressing surprise that they were able to outlive a pair of Large ASBs since he can stagger those for quite a while.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The only advice I have for that one is to overheat your ASBs as a matter of general principle, since it increases the overall amount of shield boosting you get per charge, and your charges are the limiting factor to your tank. On a fitting note, use a scram for brawlers instead of a warp disruptor. Pointing someone 20km away from you in an afterburner Caracal doesn't actually mean you've caught them, so you might as well save the CPU on a scram instead (with the added bonus of completely loving over anything with an MWD that comes too close to you).

Also, you took on a pair of Wolves in a T1 fit T1 cruiser and took one of them down with you so don't feel bad about that fight. Your gimmick plate got you a kill that was worth more than your ship.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 28, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm also trying to stress the difference between soft tackle and hard tackle.

Soft tackle is something like a warp disruptor, where the enemy is unable to warp but is still free to simply fly away from you. On a slow ship, soft tackle is of limited utility; it's better than no tackle, but when you top speed is 600m/s it's pretty likely that the enemy can just fly away from you if they don't want to fight. It's better on a fast ship like a Stabber, which can keep enemies in range and doesn't want to get stuck into a brawl itself.

Hard tackle means warp scramblers and stasis webifiers. Using them on a target means that not only can it not warp, but its mobility is significantly impaired and getting back out of range will be a struggle, if they can even escape at all. Without your web, for example, that Wolf would have been able to simply fly away from you when he realized he was dying. Hard tackle is most common on brawling ships that want to get stuck in at close range and dedicated tackle frigates that hold targets down for allies. One drawback to hard tackle is that if you are close enough to use it on the enemy, you are also close enough for them to use it on you. Fights between brawlers are typically thunderdome affairs because neither ship has the means to disengage from the other. If you get committed and then suddenly the bad guy has three friends jump through the gate, then oh well for you!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Suas is doing Drivebys now?

Is it too late to get in on the pool for his Titan?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

mynnna posted:

I'm pretty loving lazy these days, mostly just doing large long term investing rather than active trading for myself.

True wealth is when you don't have to try anymore to stay rich.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That local spike was probably Sothrasil leading a Harpy Fleet to go break out some poor trapped Gents dudes (possibly your fleet?). We didn't get much of a fight, but we managed to pick off a 3.5 bil Vargur with a 1 bil set of low-grade Crystals in the pod.

Then I managed to bubble some dumbass Tornado trying to be a cool kid on the gate because he warped to the sun to get away from me.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 4, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

FlutterShock posted:

EXE/SV Cynabal Fleet 1 - Fountain Core AHAC Fleet 0

A combination of terrible fitting (https://zkillboard.com/detail/37266536/ - Tracking Enhancer and an EANM on a zealot) and thinking they could get away with Four armour logistics, lead to something which shouldn't have been possible usually - Shield Cruisers wiping the Z30 Gate in YZ- with an AHAC fleet. They were a little upset about it afterwards.

And them immediately lost a Tornado fleet because our scout neglected to mention that the Sleip he had tackled was at zero on a gate baiting for the 80 man hostile fleet in local.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Please post the police report on TMC thanks in advance.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Our countermove should just be to give BNI docking rights in JU-.

I will bet a Naglfar that Theta would have a market fully stocked for them within a week.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

davmo1 posted:

See you blokes in a few months!

That post may have torpedoed you.

I second the choice to join Groon. You won't get to be part of a space empire but chilling out in Syndicate loving with people is some of the most fun you can have in this game.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Virigoth posted:

Who hauls during us tz prime time on a Friday when all the lonely neck beards are in space. He deserved that.

He's some poor BNI dude who stuffed everything he owned into a T1 hauler hoping for the best and died one jump down the road. They probably don't have poo poo for services getting out of Barle. I guess I will never take PH for granted again.

I feel bad for the guy :(

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm serious. We should hire BNI to deploy to JU- to provide content up north, give them docking rights, and let Theta squad get rich stocking the market for them.

Also can we murder test some more because holy poo poo those people need to stop existing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Please tell me more about blowing up Gevlon's wormhole.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zerok posted:

I will admit I never really did high sec ganking, but I do not see how you can make that much profit from it on your own?

You gamble at a chance of getting something good by an AFK auto-pilot while blowing up your own ship, and you need a 2nd char there to be able to pick your kill drop. I can see profit doing it with a few people ganking a Freighter/JF because you will get a lot of stuff. But on your own, don't you need to be super lucky?

You can fit out a murderboat Vexor for somewhere under 20 million, and you have a scanning/hauling alt checking out T1 Industrials as they pass by. When you find a dude autopiloting 300 million worth of random stuff in a quintuple expanded zero-tank Iteron, you shoot them to death, loot the wreck in your alt (after aligning) and then be less dumb than they were bringing it back to Jita.

EDIT: Also holy gently caress Gevlon that's taking it to a new level.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 10, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Would increasing the supply of intermediary items that are used to convert LP to ISK to the point of devaluing them be materially different than LP inflation?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm honestly okay with N32 owning space again, simply so there will be somewhere we're allowed to go farm renters. If the Russians has actually held their gains, Null would have essentially been divided between our own space, PL space that we aren't allowed to roam in due to Botlord (including people hiding behind PL), and Russian space that we probably wouldn't have been allowed roam in as a way of maintaining a positive working relationship. That would have left our "poo poo up other people's space" squads with roughly...Providence?

Hell, maybe we can even burn down everything TEST owns again in a little bit. That's always good for a lark.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Well with TEST greatly diminished the forces of Elite PvP need a new source of warm bodies to stuff into subcaps. Given that the rest of HERO is Nexus (literally the third N in N3), Spaceship Samurai (N3 affiliated), and TEST, it's not much of a stretch to imagine what the long-term goals of the people behind that coalition might be.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Glory of Arioch posted:

Isn't Sendaya a kickout station? Assuming that is true, no wonder you have a crappy market -- jumping a JF to that system is suicide.

Sendaya is indeed a kickout. What better place to stage a giant horde of newbies?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Give it a shot. Vyst seems to have a soft spot for people who were once bros with us and just happened to stick out a ride on the wrong boat. You post alright and I wouldn't fault you for not ditching your old community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Alexzandvar posted:

Being in ENLI I guess this distracts me from what he means (I was never in TEST so I have little idea about what went on internally then) but whats "wrong" with ENLI?

We had some really high participation for the hell camp and Iv not really seen any drama so far between our members and anyone else.

Oh and of course I know about the "Kick ENLI" meme, I wasn't around for the start of it, but I kinda understand why it started "Test was bad", "We don't want ex test" ect.

This is a six month old screenshot that I'm pretty sure is also fake.

• Locked thread