Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nullEntityRNG posted:

Bolded for emphasis. Why would you even have this. Why. Come on man.

Mining is what you do if you really really really want to multibox. It's not great if you're doing it with 1-3 characters, but if you are the sort of person who wants to start multiboxing 10+ accounts it can't be beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

smg77 posted:

And that it doesn't start with A.

Or Z. Going in reverse alphabetical order happens often as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thurin posted:

For those of us who don't know the exact mechanics involved here, what makes 2 seconds the magic number? Are you immune to targeting during the first and last server ticks of your warpout?

Before the first tick, they were cloaked. The second you see them they've just decloaked and you could not have locked them before (because they were cloaked and invisible). So the instant you see them, one second will elapse before you can react. The second second is spent locking, because you cannot apply a disruptor without a lock.

On the third second, assuming instant reaction and instant locking, a pre-fired warp disruptor would activate. However if they warp before the third second there is no game mechanic that would allow you to tackle them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

That is all well and good but it dodges my original point. Why should it be numbers that wins the game? If you excessively outnumber your opponent thats fine but what is excessive? I could easily see myself losing a 5v1 against people 1/4 my sp/isk but I don't think its realistic for me to lose a 2v1?

Numbers don't win the game, you can lose through bad tactics with superior numbers all the time even when SP and isk are equal or superior (for example, the CFC's pratfall defending those CSAAs). Ways to win through superior tactics are great. Ways to win merely through superior age and money are not.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

But that is what will happen now. The problem with drone assist was never the perfected DPS, it was the ability to survive massive damps. I could swear you played long enough ago when every ship could run a multispec jammer and whoever jammed first won the fight. That is how damps work now and with goons having the number advantage they can bring enough damps to end any advantage SP/isk brings.

The attacks on FYF are, generally speaking, attacks on the roles of newbies in fights. A Celestis is well balanced: it does poo poo dps, it is made of paper, but when used properly it enrages 60m sp people who are now damped. They are a wing of our fleets, winning through superior fleet composition and tactics because we are mixing in effective amounts of ewar and leveraging new players well. However, we fly a FYF alone and it's basically a gimmick fleet asking to die.

It's not that FYFs are unbalanced. It's not that damps are unbalanced. It's the rage of elitePVP that newbies actually have a role again. Tackling frigates have been obsolete for the better part of a decade. Newbies in disposable ewar ships that require veteran ships supporting them are great game balance. You need new players but they've got to be stiffened through a veteran core in megathrons or dominixes or the like. ElitePVP rages about it not because they're losing - in fleets where a FYF is being successful it's because we've got subcap dominance and they can't just blap it off the field because our ewar wing that is ~30% of our fleet at most is bigger than their whole fleet - but because a bunch of newbies is actually making a difference against their expensive ships.

Random ships don't field damps unless they've got midslots to waste and when they do in those situations it's a little bit of an edge but not really anything anyone mentions much. It's certainly nothing like multispecs on everything. Celestises alone just get murdered. Damps on non-bonused ships are extremely situational. To use damps well you use them as a coordinated ewar wing in a larger fleet, and that's great for the game.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

But that is what will happen now. The problem with drone assist was never the perfected DPS, it was the ability to survive massive damps. I could swear you played long enough ago when every ship could run a multispec jammer and whoever jammed first won the fight. That is how damps work now and with goons having the number advantage they can bring enough damps to end any advantage SP/isk brings.

The problem with drone assist was not the "ability to survive" massive damps it was making the fleet immune to ewar, a fundamental part of the game.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

FYF Jammers function out to 200km so short range dps isn't an option. And by saying bring a support fleet it means bring more people which circles back to the question of numbers. CCP already said carriers were supposed to be anti sub capitals but FYF completely destroys them in even numbers.

Carriers are supposed to be vulnerable to ewar (they always had weak sensor strength as well for their size and used to be jamming targets). And again, this is completely ignoring the rest of the fleet that is actually doing the damage and keeping the FYF alive. To hear you, Grath, or the rest talk you'd think the CFC flew nothing but celestises and that nobody had ever heard of a megathron.

The FYF is a component of the superior subcap fleet murdering an unsupported capital fleet. Carrriers are supposed to be the most effective capital against subcaps but that does not mean they're supposed to win any engagement with subcaps. FYF is the perfect example of how it should work: a carrier is good against most subcaps but you bring a well-balanced fleet and the carrier fleet doesn't, it will die.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

Not that only fly them but the numerical advantage is what allows you to fly both a FYF and a DPS fleet. You couldn't bring a pure DPS fleet to bear against capitals in the same style so numbers allow that diversity. That is why I always circle back to both numbers and FYF. Damps are to strong right.

We win because we have both superior numbers and superior tactics. What you're asking is that you be allowed to buy victory despite being outnumbered with worse tactics, and that's bad game balance.

FoF posted:

So then what the hell is the point of a carrier if the only fight they win against subcaps is even numbers?

When properly supported, it's a great source of both dps and logistics. You believe you should be able to field an all-carrier fleet and win against any subcap fleet. That's bad game design and not how EVE should work. Carriers should be a significant advantage to a capital and subcapital fleet but vulnerable when caught without support.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 21, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

What made drone assist a worse tactic besides your own desire for it to be?

Drone assist was bad from a balance perspective by making ewar against the slaved carriers useless. That removed one of the core vulnerabilities of a carrier with absolutely no tradeoff for the slaved carrier - especially when assisted to an ewar-immune ship. The only valid criticism I've seen of damps is the difficulty of gimping your fit to make yourself more ewar-immune: a ship can fit ECCM mods in its lows and mids and use eccm implants and through those tradeoffs sacrifice some potential for more ear immunity. Ships are less effectively able to make tradeoffs to counter damps since it's only sensor boosters and those don't stack well enough.

There are other issues with the slowcat doctrine that are explored in the most recent TM.com article on the subject concerning the over-effectiveness of sentries. It is bad, for example, that slowcats can easily blap dictors.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

We covered this before in the last thread but "Space Winnebago" is not a valid role for the carrier. And as I explained in my above theoretical example due to the way alpha works carriers can not play as logistics to subcapitals because their friendly subcaps will die before the carrier can save it. Yes that works at the small level for people like R&K but it does not scale up. A properly supported carrier is a myth when the enemy has a larger subcap fleet.

The triage carrier is so useful for subcaps that PL specifically bargained for the right to bring in a few sentry carriers for their "subcap" fleets in b0tlrd.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

smg77 posted:

Fleet and Squad boosters don't make a difference? Or is that covered by the Eos? (I don't really know how boosting works)

Nope, you can only receive a bonus once. Fleet and wing boosters just expand the bonuses you could be receiving.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

If 2000 of those 4000 show up to defend their space and 3000 of the 40000 show up to take it who is actually fighting harder for it?

The guys that put in the huge amount of effort to build and maintain that coalition so they'd have 3000.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uba Stij posted:

I do agree "superior tactics" etc. are needed by the smaller group to adapt. From what I can tell that was what Wrecking Ball did and was for.

Wrecking ball itself wasn't overly unbalanced but it worked only because there is no counter to massed supercaps but more supercaps, and the massed supercaps were a critical (though out of system) part of the tactic. That's still just "he who has more, wins" except you're required to devote two years of training and ~100b isk minimum to matter. It's tracking titans/AOE titans all over again.

Subcaps have counters that are not simply N+1. Bombers, ewar, superior fleet composition, and the like. The problem for N3PL is that they don't have any tactical superiority in subcaps anymore. We give a lovely FC command of the megathron fleets and we can easily get ground into paste. It's not that our fleets can't be countered with fewer numbers, it's that N3PL no longer have the tactical superiority to let them do so. Our fleets can be bombed, can be drag bubbled and sniped with superior fleet compositions, jammed, whatever. It's just that our FCs have gotten good enough that mistakes that allow that to happen rarely occur anymore. You give me a huge fleet and I'll welp it down to the last man against a much smaller N3PL fleet - but Vee and Laz won't.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Glory of Arioch posted:

I've multiboxed I think a maximum of six characters at once. Without ISBoxer.

How many were cyno alts?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bonewitch posted:

Nope, the signature for the anomaly despawns, but the wrecks are subject to the same despawn timer as any other wreck.

Isn't it currently impossible to probe down wrecks, making the discussion academic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twoot posted:

Seems to have avoided research for the BR- section too. Looking at any of the hundreds of images or videos would've shown that N3pl were self-bubbled along with hostile bubbles and unable to leave.

At least five n3 titans fled. James is correct. (I believe these were mostly nulli titans).

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 23, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

Considering there's like six dudes in the alliance that can actually fly one effectively I'm not entirely sure how this changes anything.

Quantity is a type of quality.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

Enslaver started at CCP just under a month after 1v.

Are you aware what a teenager is, and that it isn't "a child"? The key is the first four letters of the word.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

Generally the using teenager as an insult would mean acting like a child or making non adult decisions. While I will admit CCP probably doesn't have the best record of hiring I don't think CCP would hire someone who can't make adult decisions.

I guess you've never interacted with CCP before. And yes, 17 and 18 year olds are well known for their poor judgment. Jesus tapdancing christ this is a stupid argument to try to make.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dotalchemy posted:

Every decision I made when I was 17 seemed like an awesome decision at the time :colbert:

Poor judgment makes for fun memories, as long as you don't get caught :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Leper Colon V posted:

Glad the TESTies finally got stomped on. What happened to them in the last couple years?

They decided to create their own coalition, the HBC. They then tried to get PL to help them in a war against the CFC, and PL flipped them the bird and left. Then, TEST reset the entire HBC, and announced they were going to go it alone.

N3, PL, and GSF all tag-teamed TEST for fun for a few weeks, routinely decimating them in 1-SMEB. At that point, the CFC invaded Fountain while N3 was invading Querious, dropping sov in five systems (four with a station, the fifth we dropped a station in). TEST gave up Querious entirely to N3 to get them to assist TEST in Fountain, and they and N3 counter-attacked the four stations we captured in the sovdrop (all far from the front lines).

TEST's SBU's mysteriously kept disappearing over and over and over and over and over, forcing N3 to do such hilarious things as repair the station they were sieging and then re-reinforce it because the sbus had disappeared and a new ihub had showed up. After a whole lot of this we unfucked the doctrines we had invaded TEST with (which were terrible and based on the assumption nobody would help TEST), secured sov3 in the station we'd dropped (4-e), nearly smashed a slowcat fleet that was saved by CCP accidentally offlining the node (seriously), then helicopterdicked the entire region. Once it was clear TEST would lose they stopped defending anything but called for a ~last stand~ at the 6vdt shield timer (for no apparent reason) and basically the entire galaxy showed up. Unfortunately for TEST, they hadn't noticed we'd killed every tower in the system and replaced it with one of our own, so they didn't have any safe pos. We then got there two hours early with something like seven full fleets of megathrons, and the battle was less a battle than a turkey shoot.

Once we finished taking Querious, vee or laz or someone glanced at Delve with a roaming fleet and test abandoned it in a panic. So we shrugged and moved in, taking that and period basis and parts of Querious. TEST doesn't hold space anymore.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 28, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

For all the hate they give TEST at least we caused a war.

You didn't cause a war, we decided to invade and murder you. When you tried to start a war, you failed because PL had no interest in it and no war happened.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AAA is probably the weakest alliance in null, but it's still a member of a coalition so they'd be fighting the coalition. Providence seems like it would be a better initial step to give them a chance to start working together with a relatively low risk of major powers come and curbstomping them for interfering with their allies.

So, expect them to try something like invading VFK or the like.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Considering you've had a namechange and an avatarchange it doesn't seem unreasonable he doesn't remember.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nintendo65 posted:

I know everyone hates miners but I'm new and need money so I've been mining ice in Dek while I train up my combat skills, only problem is I have no idea to whom I should sell or how to move it to a hub, so does anyone need like a billion isk worth of ice? Not like the kind in your freezer this is the premium stuff.

Where is it right now - a refinery station or some other kind of station?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nintendo65 posted:

Right now its out in the rear end-end bat country of space, no refinery here.

I'm looking into getting a goon with a jump-freighter to haul it to Jita, I was just hoping someone posting here might need it.

Well, WHERE you are is sort of important. My guess is 0-2, in which case what you probably want to do is get it moved to a refinery (like 3jn next door) and refined in dek, and then export the isotopes and LO. It's generally a really bad idea to export uncompressed ice - if you want to export you have to compress with a rorq.

Also, how much ice are we talking about and what kind?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's much easier to be a space nomad when you have an alt with a carrier than it is for say some 6 month old dude to truck all of his poo poo out to whatever wasteland your going to infest this week or alternatively just buy new ships there with money he probably doesn't have.

There's a reason space nomad works for PL and BL. There's also a reason it takes our orgs about half a week to move anywhere.

It's also much easier to be a space nomad when you own the largest renter alliance in the game :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mynnna posted:

Also, the hull itself is only a 47 day build (42 at PE1). Components depend on where you build them, but figure about 600-650 days given the normal practice (either POS arrays or an Amarr station). That time is split across multiple characters though. Three characters with ten slots build those components in about twenty days, drop that more for every additional character. So, if they'd been plugged in the day after the fight (implausible due to the amount of minerals you'd have to buy, move, compress, move again, refine, move again but we'll run with it) they'd be coming out any day now.

This isn't how component production works. You build the components at the tower with the CSAA, then plug in the job. Components add 10-20d to the total time, you don't make a giant mass of components and start divvying them out. Each supercap builder will have so many component bpos and builders, and rotate those through their CSAAs building the components for each new supercap one at a time, then installing that supercap and moving to the next CSAA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

They've got to be running some "most embarrassing supercap death" contest there's almost no other explanation at this point :cripes:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ranbo das posted:

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/reprocess-all-the-things/

Well that's one way to slow down the rate people are building supers at.

hahahaha no it's not

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A tier 3 minmatar station with full skills and a 4% implant is now the "perfect" refine, and here's what everything else is in comparison.

50% is a base outpost, conquerable station, or a highsec station.
52% is a highsec POS refinery, tier 1 amarr (or G/C) outpost
53% is a tier 1 minmatar refinery
54% is a low/null POS refinery and tier 2 amarr
57% is a tier 3 amarr or tier 2 minmatar
60% is a tier 3 minmatar

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

So what's the policy regarding shooting abandoned MTU's in Deklein? I blew up another Waffe guy's MTU that appeared to be abandoned. The dude was not online for the several hours while I was AFK ratting and he left it in an unfinished anomaly and I said gently caress it, finished the anomaly and blew it up. He sent me an in game mail saying it's an outrage what I did. I offered to buy him a new MTU but I can't tell if the dude is being a serious spergelord or if he's just loving with me.

I'm really not trying to start a diplomatic incident I just would like to know what I should do?

What's the problem with just leaving it there: does it prevent the anom from respawning or something? Or is it just that it's stealing the anom loot from whoever actually runs it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OK then anyone should feel free to blow up an abandoned MTU in an anom without even thinking twice about it. Leaving the MTU there is "bad manners" and while you should feel free to contact the owner if you want to go out of your way to be nice you shouldn't feel like you have to.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Amberskin posted:

I thought MTUs use was frowned upon in goonwaffe space because it was considered goonfucking. Wasn't your policy to leave the loot & salvage for your new members?

We encourage that yes but there's no requirement to do so.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uba Stij posted:

Re: Vee losing his Titan, DBRB said something about how it was an exploit. I don't quite follow, how is it an exploit?

The allegation is that NC. cynoed titans directly onto the POS right next to Vee, who was entirely in the POS. At the range you get dropped in (5km from the shields) a titan will generally have some parts of its ship actually inside the shields. That part can bounce the titan inside the shields out the other end, and the titan that cynoed in away from the pos. It's essentially a form of POS bowling and it's been demonstrated to work on SISI. This is an exploit because you're bumping a ship in a pos without access to the pos.

NC. claims they bumped with a typhoon, and that no exploit was used to get the bump.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

orange juche posted:

Except Mynnna already said that we aren't getting the lion's share. Even the amount we are getting is substantial enough to enable us to get 200% SRF.

That's paid out of Goonwaffe ratting taxes (all other membercorps keep their own ratting taxes to fund their own programs).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Coolwhoami posted:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4424409#post4424409

What the hell is this, Tippia making good posts. Sure, they're wrong about the whole kin vs thermal damage for ratting, but overall I agree with this sentiment. This change doesn't fix that problem, though i'm not really sure what other dimensions of drones can be changed in a meaningful way that would make them more attractive over best damage or best speed. Not to mention, all this poo poo doesn't fix the "Warriors chase a target, stop, fire, miss, chase target" issue.

edit: Naturally bad posts follow. No idiot, the reason for this change is because it was weird that sentries didn't need spec skills but heavies did, CCP is not going to give you 12 days of SP because of that.

Tippa always makes good posts sorry mate,

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tippis posted:

Actually, I'm right about the kn/th damage as well: you'll notice that I say that, yes, kinetic-weak rats do indeed take more damage from Caldari drones, but no-one bothers because they are also thermal-weak so you might as well go with Gallente drones anyway and not bother with the additional skills. The loss is absolutely minimal. This is exactly why we have the non-use of Caldari drones that is shown in the devblog: because even in the cases where you'd conceivably and doubtlessly want to use kinetic drones — when you go up against against something as predictable as kn-weak rats — thermal damage is good enough to do the job.

Goonswarm afktars generally use wasps.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Noctis Horrendae posted:

GIA could use idiots like me. I could collapse entire alliances simply by being annoying.

It's worked for GROON so far. All part of my master plan.

I agree, here's your official GIA badge, go get in some hostile alliance (to maintain your cover you'll have to sever all links to goonswarm and SA). Just send your reports as an eve-mail to blawrf and he'll take it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is that the reasoning behind the name for the CFC? I do find it amusing how no publication can really say the full name of the CFC.

I think it was just sort of picked out of the air a looooooooooooooooong time ago and used as a placeholder name for a while, and it just sort of stuck.

• Locked thread