Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I'm going to make a Torchbearer character!

quote:

You've come to this inn because you have no other options. You've got to make your own fortune in this damned world. And if that means delving into ruins and slaying a dragon or two, so be it.
So you're at this inn, looking for prospects, looking for a few companions to back you up, looking for a way out of this damned town.

First up I choose class and stock. Torchbearer interestingly doesn't use the term 'race' anywhere for elves and dwarves and halflings. If you're not a human, you have no choice of class - all dwarves are Adventurers, all elves are Rangers, and all halflings are Burglars. Humans can be wizards, clerics, or warriors.

I'm going to create a human warrior, because this is the only class my IRL group isn't using. I'm level one to start with, of course. This gives me the skills Fighter 4, Hunter 3, Commander 2, Mentor 2, Rider 2, and the trait Heart of Battle. I can use any weapons or armour. I need to distribute 8 points between Will and Health, the two base abilities - I'll go Health 5 Will 3. I have the ability to use any weapon or armour.

As a human, I also pick a bonus skill - I'll take Haggler 3 since I'm expecting to replace my weapons in town regularly.

Next, I choose my home - this gives me an extra skill and trait, and also various advantages when I visit that place. As a human Elfland's right out, so I can choose from Dwarven Halls, the Religious Bastion, the Bustling Metropolis, the Wizard's Tower, the Remote Village, or the Busy Crossroads. I happen to have developed and named the Bustling Metropolis in my game, so that'll do - I'm from Rusko, giving me Sailor 2 and the trait Extravagant.

Everyone gets a social skill from Haggler, Manipulator, Orator, and Persuader - I'll take Persuader 2. I also choose a specialty - no two characters can have the same specialty in a party, which gives a little niche protection. I don't think anyone in my group is a Persuader, so I underline that skill on my sheet and increase it to 3.

I now choose a Wise - this is an area of knowledge. As Rusko's on the coast and I have some sailing experience, I think I'll be Wind-wise. This augments other skills - it's useful to be able to offer advice instead of helping people directly, since I suffer less consequence when they fail!

Like all starting adventurers, I'm Might 3. This is my overall place on the scale of things - a dragon is Might 6, a kobold Might 1.

I have a base Nature of 3, and as a human my nature descriptors are Boasting, Demanding and Running. I can use my nature as a skill directly for tasks related to these, or I can tap it for other purposes. I have three questions to answer about my nature first, though:

quote:

Do you sit by the hearth at night drinking and boasting of your great deeds, or do you spend those chill nights quietly preparing for the dark times to come

I boast of my exploits! This increases my nature to 4.

quote:

When the elves and dwarves voice their concerns, do you demand to be heard as an equal or do you bow your head and listen to the wisdom of your elders?

The elf and dwarf in my current group are actually the sensible ones, so I listen to the wisdom of the elder ones - no change.

quote:

Would you flee from the hordes of goblins, beasts and monsters that prey on civilization or will you plunge into their midst, questing for treasure?

Yeah, no fear of those who prey on civilisation! I replace my home trait with Foolhardy. (Traits are most useful when they're both a penalty and advantage in many situations)

Next up is Circles, which is a score representing your general contacts and social prowess. I start with Circles 1, and have more questions to answer. I have to answer 'no' to at least one of these.

quote:

Do you have friends who enjoy your occasional visits or are you a loner, tough and cool?

This question's a trap! If you answer yes, you're a loner, you just get the Loner trait and nothing else out of circles, and you have to wait around while everyone else answers the rest of questions. I have friends, so +1 circles, and I choose a profession from my hometown for my friend. She's Teryan the Sailor.

quote:

Do you have parents you can stomach talking to or are you an orphan?

I'm an orphan! I have a keepsake from my parents that's worn around my neck, worth 1d of treasure.

quote:

Did you have a mentor or did you make your own way in this rough life?

Sure - +1 circles again, and my mentor's trade is the same as the specialty I chose earlier, which means he's Sigmund the Persuader.

quote:

Have you made an enemy in your life or have your dubious deeds managed to escape notice?

Life is tough enough, so no enemy for me.

quote:

The benefit for not having an enemy is not having an enemy.

Now it's time for gear. As an adventurer, I have ... no money. Resources 0. However, when starting off, I can choose as much gear as I can carry. In Torchbearer my gear is limited by slots - I need to note what I'm carrying in each hand, what's in bags and sacks, and where, because that's all space that I'll need to use for carrying treasure later.

First up, I need to choose between backpack and satchel - the backpack's twice as big, but makes dungeoneering and fighter checks harder. I'll go with a satchel, which gives me three slots of space but takes up one of my torso spaces. My belt has one pouch slot, and a full waterskin. As a warrior, I start with leather armor (one torso slot) and a weapon (I'll take the trusty sword, which is generally my last belt slot). I also have the choice
between a helmet and shield - shields are excellent for defending my allies, but I'd rather have that hand free for carrying light and sacks of extra gear, so I'll go with a helmet in my head slot. My neck is already taken up with my keepsake.

This leaves me two free hands (with a carried and worn slot each), a feet slot, a torso slot, a pouch slot, and three satchel slots. I'll load the satchel up with four torches, fresh rations, and two small sacks for all the loot I'm hoping to find. A tinderbox goes in my pouch, and rope in my spare torso slot. Shoes for my feet, and I'll carry in one hand a spare sack containing 4 more torches and another set of rations - I'll expect to drop that sack if I need to fight with a torch and sword. I very well might lose it but at least it's spare stuff.

I can choose Law, Chaos, or unaffiliated for alignment - I don't feel like committing to cosmic forces, so unaffiliated it is.

We're reaching final touches here. I need a Belief - I'll choose 'Treasure has to be taken, not found' - I'll get a reward if this influences my behaviour or if I play against it. I also need an Instinct - this will be 'Keep the rope ready!'. If a situation comes up where I need to quickly lasso or tie off someone before they fall, I'll get a free action. I don't choose a Goal yet - that happens at the start of each session.

Finally, I choose a name (Artur) and a piece of distinctive raiment (a knotted sailor's scarf), choose an age (19), and I'm done!

quote:

Artur the Warrior, level 1

Will 3
Health 5
Circles 3
Resources 0
Nature 4 (Boasting, Demanding, Running)
Might 3

Fighter 4
Hunter 3
Commander 2
Mentor 2