Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
The idea of being in a bathroom at night and the lights going out terrifies me to this day.
As a child the space underneath the kitchen sink always frightened me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ladymikochan posted:

Garbage-Pail Kids-Now this is a bit more rational. These were gross and I wanted nothing to do with them. Pulling one out was a sure way of sending me running.

I loved Garbage Pail Kids when I was little, but there were a handful of them that I found extremely upsetting, and this was one of them:

ladymikochan posted:

Worms-not all bugs, just worms. They're slimy and have no head. Ditto on slugs and snails. I still step around them if I see them on the streets and I hesitate to walk through wet grass with no shoes or sandals on.

So, yeah.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I loved Garbage Pail Kids when I was little, but there were a handful of them that I found extremely upsetting, and this was one of them:

So, yeah.

I had a love/hate thing with those. They hit some pretty existential/body horror buttons pretty hard and freaked me out, but I would cover toy boxes in them.

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014
When I was little, the sliding doors of my closet made my wooden drawers inside of it appear to be a giant pair of Goofy's eyes. While Goofy isn't actually scary, the ghost of Jacob Marley was pretty scary when I was a kid. The giant ghost of Christmas present scared me when he peeked into Scrooge's bed. To this day I still tense up when that scene is about to happen.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoLkayPOUI

This clip here was meant to warn children of thin ice. It was shown during wintertime right after a very popular children's show in Finland.

Also, the Groke:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hiilai posted:

Also, the Groke:

Man, gently caress the Groke.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The YMCA where I use to take swimming lessons and play indoor soccer had an old rear end Berserk arcade game in the lounge that would scare the poo poo out of me. The creepy robotic voice and Evil Otto taunted me every time I went to get a orange soda or play WWF Wrestlefest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl9K4btHT28

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

bartok posted:

The YMCA where I use to take swimming lessons and play indoor soccer had an old rear end Berserk arcade game in the lounge that would scare the poo poo out of me. The creepy robotic voice and Evil Otto taunted me every time I went to get a orange soda or play WWF Wrestlefest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl9K4btHT28

Nothing unreasonable about being afraid of Evil Otto.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Or the Groke. Jesus Christ, my breath caught in my throat when I scrolled down to it. :gonk:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
These guys. Even now they give me the creeps. As a little kid, they scared the crap out of me.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

These guys. Even now they give me the creeps. As a little kid, they scared the crap out of me.

Goosebumps? Or just because they're creepy looking?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Hiilai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoLkayPOUI

This clip here was meant to warn children of thin ice. It was shown during wintertime right after a very popular children's show in Finland.

Aww, it's kind of weird but adorable. Then suddenly, :magical:

Hummingbirds posted:

I'm a grown woman and that dummy is freaking me out the more I look at him. He just looks so disappointed at me.

Rahonavis has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Jun 3, 2014

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Hummingbirds posted:

No, not Goosebumps. The dummies. All of them.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Hiilai posted:

Also, the Groke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=279ycpjclig

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
It started when I was like 11 and I still hold it today, but mirrors in the dark are windows of terror to me. I won't go into the bathroom in the dark (there has to be a pretty good light source just for me to go in and grab some dental floss real quick). I tend to ignore mirrors in my bedroom at night because if I even glance at them I then spend the night with a light on.
Started from that "Bloody Mary" game that kids do where you say her name 3 times and then she scratches you. I got to 2 and then peaced out of my bathroom. I'm 25 and know that it is as true of a tale as those forwards you see on Facebook but I still can't get over that one. Too many evil possibilities I guess, mirrors don't have the most innocent reputation anyways.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010
After recently re-watching it I can see what a work of art it is, but as a little kid the Jim Henson movie "The Dark Crystal" scared the living poo poo out of me.

Amazing puppetry, but terrifying to me.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Opie_Yates posted:

After recently re-watching it I can see what a work of art it is, but as a little kid the Jim Henson movie "The Dark Crystal" scared the living poo poo out of me.

Amazing puppetry, but terrifying to me.
That scene when a crystal sucks the life or something out of a few characters and the bad guys drink it just creeped me out.

I once had this first-person diving video game called Everblue 2. There was no music when you were underwater aside from some Jaws-ish stuff playing whenever a shark approached. All the animals in that game randomly came out of nowhere so it made my heart go boom whenever a shark showed up. At the start, you didn't have a special thing on your sonar to make them go away so you'd die if you didn't surface. You couldn't surface in areas like the underwater cave and sunken submarine so if you couldn't find the exit (which happened to me a lot), you were screwed. I have a lot of memories of frantically looking for the exit after my character's air ran out and their health was dropping while their respirator breathing and heartbeat kept getting faster. Holy poo poo, that game gave me nightmares.

Willem Dafoe in general scared me as a kid. That guy has the most expressive face I've ever seen.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Jun 5, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

One of the more famous Goosebumps novels was about a ventriloquist dummy, is what I meant. They are creepy though.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbHi2eT5_U

The probe's noise from Star Trek 4. No idea why. Still sets me on edge, but at least I no longer go into hysterics.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hummingbirds posted:

One of the more famous Goosebumps novels was about a ventriloquist dummy, is what I meant. They are creepy though.

He become a mascot of sorts and so there ended up being like, at least six loving Slappy books.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MightyJoe36 posted:

Pretty loving rude!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
This is kind of weird, but I used to have a game called Daggerfall I found when I was a kid in a random computer store. I bought it and started playing it, but was absolutely scared by it. The strange thing about it is I was not scared of like the monsters or anything, but the fact that the game was so huge that it was like I was traveling in the real world. I'm not sure how popular this game was or how many people played it, but I know that obviously people know about the later games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. This game was my first introduction and the openeness of it made me feel very uneasy and I never got very far because I couldn't stomach playing it more then like a few minutes at a time. Even now playing open world games makes me feel kind of weird because of how scared Daggerfall made me.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Welcome to The Universe. You are nothing here.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I thought of another one, the intro to Tales From the Crypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5XwkSguNI

I was skeeved out just watching that clip. I couldn't wait for it to end

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CeramicPig posted:

I thought of another one, the intro to Tales From the Crypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5XwkSguNI

I was skeeved out just watching that clip. I couldn't wait for it to end

God, I remember being freaked out by that. It was pretty bad watching it this time, but when the Crypt Keeper finally jumped out, it didn't bother me. It's just the buildup.

Also, The Dark Crystal is not a kid's movie, puppets be damned. I love it now, but it terrified my when I first saw it. That scene where those giant beetle things bust through the walls was the worst.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

He become a mascot of sorts and so there ended up being like, at least six loving Slappy books.

And I read them all, checking them out two at a time from my elementary school's library.

Think I'll finally get a library card here and reread Goosebumps.

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
Two things. First,

This guy. It wasn't that he was old and had lightning powers; that was kind of awesome. What freaked me out when I was younger was just how unbeatable he seemed, how he was at the head of this enormous machine of industry, humanity and straight space magic. I was especially afraid of his foresight, how "everything is happening as I have foreseen", and how hopeless it made any attempt at a confrontation, for every action or inaction was playing directly into his hands. I didn't actually see the end of Return of the Jedi until years after I first saw the movie, as I flipped out and ran out of the room at that final confrontation between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker as this jerkhead looked on and laughed like he had everything figured out. Before I learned to separate reality from fantasy, it terrified me that there were people like this in the world, and that they probably knew all about me and were abusing their powers to keep me small and unhappy.

Second,

Somewhere in my early childhood, I managed to acquire a goodly quantity of these cheap, painted ceramic masks, which I hung on my wall like the bipolar sparklemonster all little girls are. I liked them. I thought they were pretty. I liked anything that was pretty. I remember buying more of them at local shops, each one inexpensive and brightly-colored and festooned with toxic paint and glitter. I would occasionally take them down, hold them over my face and playact little bedsheet-and-beachtowel melodramas.

I don't remember when I began feeling uneasy about them. It was a slow process, a part of growth. Over the count of years, I suppose I began to become aware of the fact that I wasn't like the other girls at school. I didn't have a religion. My clothes came from the Value Village. I had never had a makeover. I had never been to a spa, or had my nails done, or dyed my hair. I was overweight, which meant I was unattractive. I was poor, which meant I was worthless. Somewhere among this slow accumulation of unwelcome realization, I began to suspect that this was their fault.

I stopped playing with them, but that didn't help at all. The masks had crossed the threshold from a toy into an artifact of doom, from something which had life only when I held it in my hands to something that waited for me to stop paying attention. They would watch me from the walls with their hollow eye-sockets. They would stare at me as I laid in bed, waiting until I fell asleep so they could talk about me. Just like all the other girls at school, they would only gossip about me when I was asleep or out of earshot. Just like all the other girls at school, they wanted nothing else but for me to suffer first, then go away forever. But they were patient. They worked slowly.

They hated that I wasn't as beautiful as they were. Through an unexplained magic process, they were going to steal what little cuteness I had left, and then convince me to kill myself. Just like that girl who hung herself with her dead dog's leash, or the other girl who sat down in the middle of the street when no one came to her birthday party.

One day, I broke. I gathered up all of these things and stuck them in a shoebox. I thought about throwing them out, but I couldn't stand the thought of them sitting in the garbage in front of my house - they would be angry, then, and were capable of anything. I thought of leaving them in the woods, but then someone else might find them, and then there would be another ugly, fat, poor little girl floating face-down in a pool, or something like that. I thought about just spiking them against the ground, but if they could steal my beauty and kill me, then they wouldn't let me break them.

So: This is how, at one point in my life, I was kneeling on the train tracks, digging a hole underneath a wooden slat and shoving them all as far down as I could. I begged any god or devil or nature spirit that was listening to protect me, as I was certain they'd do something horrible in retaliation. I cried throughout the whole rushed burial. I'd like to tell you I'm less of a complete nutjob now, but I still get mildly unsettled when I lock eyes with one of those monstrosities.

Umbilical Lotus has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Jun 6, 2014

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This is kind of weird, but I used to have a game called Daggerfall I found when I was a kid in a random computer store. I bought it and started playing it, but was absolutely scared by it. The strange thing about it is I was not scared of like the monsters or anything, but the fact that the game was so huge that it was like I was traveling in the real world. I'm not sure how popular this game was or how many people played it, but I know that obviously people know about the later games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. This game was my first introduction and the openeness of it made me feel very uneasy and I never got very far because I couldn't stomach playing it more then like a few minutes at a time. Even now playing open world games makes me feel kind of weird because of how scared Daggerfall made me.

Daggerfall still has a decent cult following.

And yeah, the world is just obscenely huge.

Speaking of old unsettling fantasy PC games, we had one when I was little that was a mostly text-based adventure based off of D&D. I made a bunch of characters, sent them all off on a grand adventure, and then promptly watched all of them die one by one when I ran into my first monster. It really spooked me for some reason and I didn't play that game anymore after that. :ohdear:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Umbilical Lotus posted:

This guy. It wasn't that he was old and had lightning powers; that was kind of awesome. What freaked me out when I was younger was just how unbeatable he seemed, how he was at the head of this enormous machine of industry, humanity and straight space magic. I was especially afraid of his foresight, how "everything is happening as I have foreseen", and how hopeless it made any attempt at a confrontation, for every action or inaction was playing directly into his hands. I didn't actually see the end of Return of the Jedi until years after I first saw the movie, as I flipped out and ran out of the room at that final confrontation between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker as this jerkhead looked on and laughed like he had everything figured out. Before I learned to separate reality from fantasy, it terrified me that there were people like this in the world, and that they probably knew all about me and were abusing their powers to keep me small and unhappy.
My experience with Star Wars was slightly similar, but only just. I saw The Empire Strikes Back in its entirety only yesterday. I watched the movie for the first time about two decades ago and now, at twenty-six, I finally saw what the Wampa looked like because its appearance would always chase me out of the room and I would always fail to come back. It looks pretty ridiculous. :3:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

Pretty loving rude!

Was not meant to be.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Bigfoot. I was terrified of Bigfoot as a little girl.

I must have been about 8 iirc. My dad had to go pick up my mom from work, and my brother was staying at a friends house for the night, so it was just me and my dad at our house. So he leaves, saying he will be back in a while, has to pick up my mom, and a dinner and going to the store and did I want to go with him?

I of course said no, because I wanted to watch my television show that was on. Mind you, it was about 6 pm, and it was getting dark outside.

My dad leaves and I am watching my show.

A Bigfoot documentary...one of the cheesey ones from the 70's where they have the scientists talking about Bigfoot and showing off the "evidence" they had. So my dad had been gone about 30 minutes, and it is getting really dark out. Drapes are closed, and its just me and the cats snuggled on the couch watching men in funky clothing on a Bigfoot hunt in the Pacific NW (which is where we lived at the time.) We were on the ground floor where the TV room was.

The documentary begins to talk about the sounds they had recorded, and they played a howl of a supposed Bigfoot. I freaked the gently caress out. I just KNEW if I looked out my back window there would be a Bigfoot looking back at me. I knew it to the depth of my bones. Now, if I had taken a minute and thought about it, I would know that Bigfoot probably isn't going to show up in the middle of downtown Portland with all the streetlights and traffic, but, well, I was 8 and didn't think that far.

I immediately freaked even more and dove under the dining room table with a butter knife (my dad had forgotten to put away from eating a snack earlier) that was still on the table and the blanket I was snuggling with on the couch...holding my poor kitty trying to protect him from the Bigfoot I knew was just waiting for us outside. I knew Bigfoot could see me through the cracks in the curtain. I could just SEE that big brown eye staring at me through the curtains, deciding when he was going to come and get me. I could almost hear him breathing against the window. and hear him brushing against the side of the house.

It's been less than an hour, and my parents walk in the door, with McDonald's bags, into the dark room with the TV blaring, and all I see is darkness with a BIG shape coming through the door. (My father is 6'5) Cue me screaming, grabbing my cat, running up the stairs as fast as I could, yelling that Bigfoot was here and he was going to eat me and the cat. Needless to say, my parents just went WTF and came after me where I had run to my bedroom with my poor completely confused cat, a dull butter knife, hiding in the corner of my closet with a blanket over my head because apparently Bigfoot can't see through a Strawberry Shortcake duvet cover, yelling at the Bigfoot that I was gonna cut him if he tried to eat me or my cat.

They have never let me forget that. Even now, when they play that howl on other shows, I have a momentary flashback to the utter terror that I felt that night when I thought Bigfoot had unlocked my front door and came in my house.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Toad on a Hat posted:

You know those glaucoma test things with the air puffs at the eye doctor? I hate those things. I'm convinced that somehow it's going to shoot a needle through my eye. Why? Who knows!

My eye doctor actually told me once that when they do that test, it sticks a tiny needle in your eye. I believed him but was old enough (like probably eleven or twelve) that it didn't really scare me, I figured, oh well, I've done it all these other years, guess it doesn't hurt or anything and they're probably really good at not messing it up. I probably asked the next year and he told me he was just kidding.

Melting Dave from Alvin and the Chipmunks
When I was really young, I used to watch the 80's (90's?) Alvin and the Chipmunks show that used to be on whatever channel. There was an episode that featured Dave for some reason getting a life-size wax replica of himself. At one point in the show, it's near the window and the heat from the sun starts to melt it.

I haven't been able to find the episode, but god loving dammit, I had nightmares about his terrifying melting face for several days. Then for some reason I had a small plastic orange toy, probably no bigger than 2 or 3 inches, that was a figure of maybe King Kong or something, some sort of ape-like figure, and I somehow had an association between it and the Melting Dave Head and was so scared that at some point I would look at it and see that face that I hid it in the end table drawer in my parents' room.

The Brave Little Toaster
Also, a lot of people were scared of the killer-clown-nightmare scene in The Brave Little Toaster. I am apparently, for reasons I'm not sure about, completely immune to any type of clown scariness, so that scene was always just meh for me. Like it was spooky, and I remember feeling bad for the characters and hoping they'd be okay, but I didn't feel personally afraid.

I *was* terrified of at the end, when they're in the junkyard, not the part where their owner is about to get crushed to death in the stampy thing (though again I sympathized with him and wanted him to be okay), but that loving magnet crane as it crept through the huge, huge piles of debris (that junkyard was brilliantly creepy) and came after them- especially the point where it got really, really mad, for some reason changed colors, chasing maniacally after them, and then its rage was so purified that its eyes squinted away to disappearing (I guess because a person showed up and they always changed back to "regular object" state when a person was around) and quietly continued to pursue them.

However the one part of that movie that honestly prompted me to get up out of my seat and hide behind my chair until it was done was the scene toward the beginning with the Air Conditioner. Like, I don't remember any other part of any other movie scaring me as much as that part. He starts getting mad, then starts to get so furious he is screaming about being trapped in the wall forever and ever (which probably was a contributing factor to my claustrophobia), yelling so hard he has the equivalent of like a loving brain aneurysm or whatever and sputters out of control until he explodes. Okay, okay, that's all scary, I didn't like watching that part. But the worst part was after he's exploded, and the other characters peer out from their hiding place and they see the image on the right:

Just sitting there, dead, unanimated, smoke creeping up into the air, the grill falling with a clatter to the ground while a quiet, dark, solemn music plays.

As soon as their argument started I would just get myself right the gently caress behind my chair and I wouldn't come back out until that clatter and that horribly sad music had finished and the next scene started.

That was honest to god my favorite movie growing up.

edit: Here, apparently, is the description for the Wax Dave episode, courtesy of Wikipedia:

quote:

39A. "Whatever Happened to Dave Seville?"
Written by: Dianne Dixon
When Dave wins a producer’s award, a wax figure of him for a Hall of Fame is delivered, unbeknownst to the Chipmunks. While playing ball in the house, which Dave strictly forbid before he left, Alvin hits the wax figure of Dave with his ball, toppling him over. After watching a soap opera, they think he has developed a strange disease called "Zomboidrigidosis" and begin retelling his life for him, hoping he will snap out of it.

Broadcast September 27, 1986

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdH47YMPMx0
Ohhhhhh my god go to 8:40. That is nothing how I remembered it and is so not at all scary I can't fathom why I was ever scared of it.

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Jun 17, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I really didn't like the part in Brave Little Toaster (2?) where the cat scratches the goony dude. I would cover my eyes. The angry machinery didn't bother me though.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
I remember having several nightmares about this loving fan from tomb raider 2:
1:15 in the video, please excuse the annoying LPer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaxzDNYu-Qs

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

stegoceras posted:

It's a german children's book, about two boys Max and Moritz. They get up to all these awful tricks and eventually get chopped up in a woodchipper. The art is horrifying and my dad would always read it to us before bedtime, and then threaten that if we were bad, we'd get chopped up too :(

Max und Moritz is a classic, pretty funny, and if you think the art on it is horrifying, don't read on.

This has scared and scarred German children for almost 170 years.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Umbilical Lotus posted:

Before I learned to separate reality from fantasy, it terrified me that there were people like this in the world, and that they probably knew all about me and were abusing their powers to keep me small and unhappy.

There are. :tinfoil:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was terrified of Chucky from Child's Play as a kid. To my parents at the time (and me, now), it boggles my mind. I never saw the damned movie (except the batteries scene, and not even the point where that scene becomes violent), didn't own the doll, didn't watch the TV show (I think there was one of something similar). There was nothing for me for me to develop the fear, but develop it I did.

On the flip side, I was terrified that the titular car in Christine was real, because I did see it as a kid, for some reason.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Brak, for some reason.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

kinmik posted:

This guy. I was really into Ghost Writers and then Gooey Gus was introduced. He was the reason I couldn't enjoy the Power Rangers movie with Ivan Ooze.

I have absolutely no idea why this bastard weirded me out so much, but he did. Not to the point of being actively afraid he'd get me, but that episode was really weirdly unsettling for some reason that stuck around for a while. I think part of it was because I didn't actually see the beginning of the episode and wasn't sure if it was supposed to be real or not. I think I didn't catch the end either which really didn't help. Didn't have any problems with Ivan Ooze though. No other fictional anything has given me the willies like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
This scene from Tales from the Hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFLBL_Ymd3c

When I was younger, I had to make sure my arms weren't hanging off the bed when I was asleep, or the dolls would surely come and bite my fingers off.

• Locked thread