Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh yeah, here's a fun trip down memory lane.

1. My great grandmother made Raggedy Anne and Andy dolls for my brother and I when we were little. At about six or seven I read some stupid tabloid article about those dolls coming to life and killing kids. So Anne and Andy ended up at the bottom of the toy box with my big stuffed bear sitting on the lid. They never came back out.

2. Mummies. I loved (and still love!) the hell out of Egyptian mythology and pyramids and mummies. And then one day I watched the episode of In Search Of where they talked about King Tuts curse, and more specifically, played old film footage of two women who were performing this traditional eqyptian curse dance or some stupid crap like that, and going on about how everyone who was there for the performance later died "under mysterious circumstances" and that supposedly the film itself was cursed now. Somehow my child mind decide to translate that as "watching anything about a mummy will piss him off and he will come to your house and get you for it". Even as a child I knew it was silly (what is he going to do, take a jet accross the atlantic?), but I always was able to think up a way around whatever obstacle I mentally tried to put in it's path (badass Tut will walk across the ocean floor to get me).

3. Had a nightmare about my backyard. We lived in an area that had been farmland less than 10-15 years prior, my nightmare consisted of two farmers arguing in a field. It got violent, and somehow one farmer ended up getting decapitated (farming equipment? I don't remember.). The other farmer rolled the body into a ditch, and covered it over. At this point the dream goes into fast-forward, as days and nights pass in the field, until my house is built in the distance, and then the fast forwarding stops. At point the farmer claws his way up out of his shallow grave, and starts stumbling around my backyard to he tune of fast paced heavy thuds (presumably my own racing heartbeat invaded my dream), at which point I woke up crying. MY mother heard me, and came in to find out what was wrong. I leaned over the railing of my bunk bed's top bunk-
And nearly fell out, because I had still been in the nightmare and my mother wasn't there, and I'd nearly jump headfirst off the bed.

RickVoid has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

kinmik posted:

Dude. I'm sorry, but Eqyptian?

I can't even claim that the keys were next to each other either. How the hell did I do that?

8 year old me was aware of this, I just thought he was literally showing up to make sure whatever happened was done right. :gonk:

RickVoid has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Mar 11, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Mummies. I was 10, A&E had a hard-on for anything Egypt, and my parents just lapped that poo poo up. It probably didn't help that, outside of mummies, and footage taken from inside their tombs, I was fascinated by the poo poo too.

Of course, my parents thought the best response was to be logical about my fears. For example, even if they were specifically out to get me, and if they could somehow get out of their tombs or the glass cases of the museums, how were they going to cross the ocean to get to me?

Of course, I couldn't just accept that logic, and my little brain took that as a challenge: How would they do it? Planes were right out of course, no one would let a plane take off with an undead on board. They could take a boat, but that would still risk discovery. And then my poor, poor little mind came to the obvious solution: they could just walk across the ocean floor. It would take a long time of course, but who knew when they'd started, and maybe they'd already finished and were right out my window and augh! And sometimes, in the middle of the day I'd get this flash of dozens of undead, slowly marching across the ocean floor, unstoppable, implacable. Did I mention that I may as well have been living dead center of the US at the time? Yeah, I was a dumb kid.

I may have been one of the few people that, as an adult, laughed very, very hard at the scene of an undead pirate crew marching across the ocean floor in the first Pirates of the Carribean movie, however.

• Locked thread