Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remember as a toddler being terrified of the classic Disney cartoon The Old Mill—specifically by this bit. Yeah. Not by the cute animals in peril or anything to do with the storm itself (and I was terrified of storms!), but the image of a hollow tree. I don't understand it either.

The castle music from the original Super Mario Bros was the most terrifying thing when I was 5-6 years old. I think it was a combination of the creepiness of the music, the creepiness of the castle stages, and that the bass was at just the right frequency that it made our crappy TV rattle. I remember one time some relative was visiting and playing Nintendo and he didn't know about the Warp Zone in 1-2, and I was so upset at the thought of having to hear the castle music that I hid in my bedroom and puked.

I also had the whole fear of the dark thing, where the shadows in the corners of my room seemed they were shifting or moving toward me. But being a very rational 5-year old, I didn't think they were ghosts. They were burglars.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

sweeperbravo posted:

Melting Dave from Alvin and the Chipmunks
When I was really young, I used to watch the 80's (90's?) Alvin and the Chipmunks show that used to be on whatever channel. There was an episode that featured Dave for some reason getting a life-size wax replica of himself. At one point in the show, it's near the window and the heat from the sun starts to melt it.

I haven't been able to find the episode, but god loving dammit, I had nightmares about his terrifying melting face for several days.

Haha, goddamn it, I'd forgotten about this, but this totally terrified me too. I remember one of the chipmunks gasping when he discovers the half-melted Dave left outside in the lawnchair, or something.

There was also a tendency for cartoons around that era to have nightmarish alternate timeline "just a dream" episodes, and those scared the hell out of me. I don't even remember what happened in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one, but it gave me nightmares. Also the Gargoyles one where Broadway is brain-damaged and had his eyes gouged out.

sweeperbravo posted:

edit: Here, apparently, is the description for the Wax Dave episode, courtesy of Wikipedia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdH47YMPMx0
Ohhhhhh my god go to 8:40. That is nothing how I remembered it and is so not at all scary I can't fathom why I was ever scared of it.

Ha, I replied before I realized you'd posted this. I'll be honest, I still find it kind of unnerving, but that's not at all what I remember the face looking like. I remembered the eyes being wide open, and one dripped halfway down his head or something.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Aug 18, 2014

• Locked thread