Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I know that Crimea is important to Russia because it gives them access to the Black Sea, how big of a factor do you think that is? They obviously have other naval access points, and Crimea is only like the 4th largest, but do you think that Russia could see it as a military threat if losing it became a real possibility?

Nobody in Russia thought that the lease agreement on the Sevastopol base would be renewed. A move to Novorossiysk has been planned for ages now. Sure, staying in Sevastopol brings them a little closer West, but losing it prematurely is not a catastrophe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Utjkju registered a month ago and has been posting in a completely different thread all this time.

Also I don't recall an overthrow in Czechoslovakia that disenfranchised ethnic Germans.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
But is there a party currently in power in the US that is pushing for racial purity in government, education, etc? Because Svoboda is (ironically), and boy would that not fly in a modern democracy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Although I think it's ridiculous to have to defend the notion that these are Russian forces, here's a an amateur analysis of some of their equipment.

http://imgur.com/a/3DzA0/layout/blog

And evidence of Russian paratroopers being involved:

Never mind the absurdity of a well disciplined, excellently equipped Crimean armed force materializing out of thin air.

Military service is mandatory in Russia and the Ukraine. Young men with military training and military tattoos are not hard to come by.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

ВДВ is the paratrooper forces. VDV day is when the former VDV servicemen come out and celebrate. There are hundreds of drunken assholes from VDV swimming in fountains and harassing pedestrians in every city, and those are just the drunken assholes. Plenty of them are available for hire.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

utjkju posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=256py8v6ZW4 - Here Tatars from Crimea told them opinion. Do you think that they say lies?

Translation:

Speaker: We are old enough to remember the first Orange Revolution, how they came to power, how those that are now behind the Maidan came to power. Not through elections, through trickery. They spent their 4-5 years in power, did nothing and left. Now they vie for power again, and they don't have another way to do it. With the same Maidan tactics, even worse now, with shooting, with firebombing, they come again. They cannot win normal elections, how do you say it, democratically, they cannot do it. The technology that they have, that they use for power, it is unsatisfactory to me. They claim their system is better, but that is difficult to believe, since they spent 5 years in power and did nothing. What did they do?

someone else: It's hard to believe.

Speaker: You are all adults here. You lived when they were in power. I reminded you 100 times, buckwheat alone rose in price tenfold. I'm not talking about sugar and other food. They claim child care was cheap. Nothing was cheap. They can't do anything for us. As soon as something started boiling in this empty and perforated pot that they left the Ukraine, as soon as the people try to cook, as soon as something started out, they are at it again, so the people don't end up with anything. Those are the enemies of the people, right there. In any other country, they would be executed. In France, in Germany, these would be executed, regardless of all European values. In France, their heads would be chopped off, their guillotine is still up.

someone else: America has the electric chair.

Speaker: Yes! And they teach us how to live and how to be and what to do and what we can't do. Some teachers.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Tankus posted:

The Orange revolution wasn't beneficial to almost anyone because it just replaced the people involved without a complete restructuring. Alternatively, I also didn't hear any praise and joy that the Russian liberators are there to save them. But I can totally see why they have little faith in the current revolution helping out. Its totally undecided as to where things are going now but hopefully stability can return and progress can be made.

On a side note, buckwheat went up in price 10 fold? This must have been temporary since its only 60 cents a kilo.

Is this "revolution" restructuring anything? More power is in the hands of the oligarchs than ever. How is that supposed to benefit the common man, especially after all the austerity measures proposed in order to qualify for European credit?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

waitwhatno posted:

I don't think they are. And do you think the interests of the armed men, that captured the Crimean parliament and that are supported by the Russian army, are the interests of all the people of Crimea?

Some armed men took power in Crimea. Some armed men took power in Kiev. Is one of these groups automatically more legitimate than the other?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You don't believe that Crimea has an ad-hoc self defense force too? Is everyone in camouflage in Crimea a Russian soldier to you?

Also, Kiev's self defense force is armed pretty nicely with looted police equipment, which, of course, hasn't been returned.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Tankus posted:

how can you honestly say that APCs and choppers are "ad-hoc" for a self defense force? Are you really so delusional? Of course everyone in camo isn't part of this group, and I fully understand that people there want to organize for whatever purpose. But I don't understand how you can group in the Russian occupation forces with them. Civilians just don't have access to the type of hardware present in Crimea.

Kiev is "pretty well armed" with what? There must be tons of pictures of these guerrilla fighters armed with stolen automatic weapons since ANYONE can go to Maidan and photograph/document anything they want.

The APCs and choppers aren't. Just as not everyone in camouflage is Russian, not everyone in camouflage is Ukrainian.

Sure, there are lots of pictures. Videos, even. Here you go, and that was from literally seconds of searching. Just because it's not on Western media doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

waitwhatno posted:

I think we had a misunderstanding, I was talking about the Crimean parliament specifically. They are the ones that are making all these controversial decisions.

That's the point I'm trying to make. One armed group declared elections and is ready to step down to a legitimate government. The other armed group declared itself the legitimate government and is making existential and irreversible decisions every day in the name of the people.

These two things are only similar on a very, very superficial level.

Oh, ready to step down, are they? Is that why they're appointing oligarchs for governors left and right? The Maidan crew isn't going anywhere, elections or no.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Seeing how Western media generally shat all over any pro-Russian sentiment in the country, I can understand them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Crimean defense forces are unilaterally against the Kiev government. The Donbass has a few for and a few against. I don't think that any self defense force claimed loyalty to Russia specifically.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
http://www.interfax.ru/364335

Simferopol, March 13th. INTERFAX

Ukrainian soldiers that refuse to swear loyalty to the people of Crimea begin leaving the peninsula, said first vice-premier of Crimea, Rustav Temirgaliev.

"The majority of the military stationed in Crimea is on the side of the self-defense force. Those singular servicemen, largely from Western areas, including sailors, that did not swear loyalty to the people of Crimea have already started leaving the territory of the peninsula. We provide a free exit without weapons from the territory of Crimea" - Temirgaliev said.

He explained that the first group was already delivered to Armyansk, on the Ukraine-Crimean border. Meanwhile, several tank units agreed to swear loyalty to Crimea.

"Crimean self-defense forces took over tank units, which have T-80UD tanks. The personnel of those units stated their readiness to serve the people of Crimea. Now we have armoured forces." - Temirgaliev said.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Mortabis posted:

Do you seriously believe these "defense forces" are anything other than Russian astroturf at best? (if not the more plausible explanation that they're just regular Russian soldiers)

You can easily tell from looking at the self-defense forces who's the thinly veiled Russian or Russian-funded force (mostly matching camo, standardized firearms, no insignia) and the genuine ones (lots of banners, St George's ribbons everywhere, biggest mixmaster arsenal I've ever seen).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
A soldier of the Crimean self-defense force is also dead and two are wounded. I guess BBC didn't care enough to report that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
"I write in Russian, as I can't express this in English.

Guys, Ukrainians, are you hosed in the head? Why the gently caress are you killing peaceful civilians? What kind of anti-terrorist operation is this?

Here in the Russian Federation, we take your asylum seekers by the thousand. Some regions have a state of emergency because they cannot deal with the influx of refugees. We feed, heal, clothe your women and children here. We know the war is not their fault. What are you doing?

And yes, I am an interested party. My father was born in the Ukraine, and I have a fuckton of family there. Cut the bullshit. I know how it is there without watching the news. Maidaned enough? I don't have polite words anymore."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Anti-Maidan uprisings were a common sight all the way back in November. Russian support has nothing to do with it. The South-East has been, historically, very pro-Russian.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

kapsas posted:

And here lies the problem because it is not a falsehood. All the leadership and most of the fighters in Donbass are from Russia. They started to arrive in March and started the conflict by seizing local government buildings by force. Ukraine reacted, as in every government would have, by deploying their armed forces to stop this. And this is how the war started.

And yet when the Maidan rioters seized government buildings, there was no war, and the president of the time was urged by the West to withdraw even riot police from the streets.

kapsas posted:

But they chose the opposite, border was left open and not only that, they supplied the boyeviks with old Soviet era weaponry.

You do know that the Ukraine was a part of the USSR too, right? Warehouses of old military crap that no one was guarding too seriously were seized. If you look at what the rebels are using, it's museum grade stuff.

quote:

First of all, not taking prisoners is a warcrime. Secondly, boyeviks kill civilians also, although most of the civilian casualties come from incompetence and the fact that most fighting happens in towns and villages and not because someone is delibaretly killing off civilians.

Pro-Kiev forces have repeatedly shelled areas known to be unoccupied by the rebels. Keep in mind that various government representatives repeatedly stated that the East isn't filled with people to them. The most popular term with the people of the West used to describe those loyal to the east is "Kolorad" (potato bug).

Also both sides are taking prisoners, and there has been at least one exchange that I know about.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

kapsas posted:

And? Take a look at RuNet right now. The amount of hatred of everything Ukrainian is quite astounding. Although this isnt a new development to be honest. Most russians dont consider ukrainians to be a nationality at all. But some weirdoes who speak broken russian.

Also the most damning evidence for fascism in Ukraine is the supposed ukrainization (I am sure I misspelled this) which is hilarious considering the amount of ethnicities that have been russified in RF.

I'm neck-deep in RuNet. I don't see hatred towards the Ukrainians. I see hatred towards Western pawns and corrupt oligarchs, but not the common people. The most damning evidence for fascism isn't the Ukrainization, it's the people waving nazi flags, displaying nazi symbols, and worshipping war criminals.

Also UN Human Rights Commission discovered no evidence that Russia is sending weapons.

kapsas posted:

I seriously doubt that Ukraine is banning Russian language books given that over half the population of Ukraine is russophone. Also , I am not Ukrainian.

This "conversation" isnt going anywhere. utjkju, you just ignore everything I say and keep posting stuff that in your mind justifies your hate of Ukraine.

Not Russian language books, books published in Russia.

Lord Windy posted:

I don't think the rebels are making many friends by shooting down commercial airplanes. Russia is being viewed quite poorly at the moment due to the lack of sympathy Putin showed Australia, as well as the unanimous opinion that his government supplied the missiles that shot it down.

If stuff like laying mines near the crash site is true than I could see our politicians doing more than just condemn Russia.

The rebels stole two Buks without a guidance computer and a C&C system. It's pretty difficult to shoot down anything with one of those. Also the pro-Kiev forces have just launched a massive offensive in the direction of the crash site with the aim of cutting the LNR and DNR apart. You expect the rebels to just sit there and let it happen? It's not like they're laying the mines in a circle around the crash site.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 31, 2014

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

There's no doubt that there are Fascists fighting on the side of the Ukrainians. There's also no doubt that Russia has per capita the most Neo-Nazis in the world.
The Fascists on both sides aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

To me, the Ukrainians are trying to re-establish a national identity by actively separating themselves from Russian influence.
This is nationalism. Nationalism is dumb.

The Russians aren't doing themselves a favor by meddling in a neighboring nation's affairs. If there was a real threat, they should've let some bad stuff happen, then gone in. Going in preemptively removes all credibility from the Russians in the eyes of the watching world.

"Some bad stuff" is happening right now. Putin isn't doing anything, and a ton of people are pissed at him for that. What going in preemptively do you mean?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm saying that what they are rumoured to have (nobody actually has given a straight answer to whether or not the rebels even have a Buk, the Ukrainians even claimed the rebels have no heavy AA capability at all) is only a piece of an anti-aircraft battery. The missile truck has very limited applications without additional equipment that isn't exactly small or easy to hide.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Present posted:

1. Putin funneling mercenaries/weapons into Ukraine.

The UN has no evidence that Russia is funneling weapons. Do you? Also like I said, there was opposition to the Maidan in many areas of Eastern Ukraine. Were those all Putin mercenaries too?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Present posted:

As far as nazi marches go, the Ukrainian one you posted sucked big time. 30 of kids in traditional clothing carrying flags? Lame. This is how you do a nazi march:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP2o13mxRpo

Look at those red, black, and white flags and swastika derivatives carried by thousands of people. Hitler would have been so proud.

Those are Imperial Russian symbols.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

utjkju posted:

West World and USA tell that Putin supports separatists. And West World and USA demand to end support.

Separatists and some people from Russia tell that Putin don't support separatists. They demand to start support. (http://www.segodnia.ru/content/144103)

This situation is not good.

The interesting thing about the separatists is that they used to not be separatists. They used to support federalization, for greater autonomy of every region within a unified Ukraine. It was Poroshenko that was rabidly against the idea.

Edit: for people that insist Russia is smuggling arms into the Ukraine: post-Soviet ammunition used in the conflict is Ukrainian in origin

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Russia/ Soviet
Doesn't mean anything other than I'm mixing up terms.

They're kind of vastly different. The opinions of the average person in Moscow Oblast and the average person in Galitsiya aren't very similar. Throw the Baltics into the mix, and there's really no way you can say "all Soviets/Imperial Russians were like this"

• Locked thread