Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

pigdog posted:

Well, I can imagine them going after Berkut members when this is over:

- Policeman Ivanov, you're accused of shooting protester Sidorov in the head at the night of 18th of February. What sayeth thou?
- He was throwing Molotov cocktails and other deadly weapons at me while I was legally in the line of duty, the dude left of me had been shot in the neck and the guy right of me received third degree burns from molotov. My head was ringing from a cobblestone hit and thus I could have possibly missed. I claim self defense and regulations which say deadly force is authorized in case of attacks on the person of a policeman on duty, paragraph blah blah blah.
- True, but... You're an rear end in a top hat. We're gonna jail you anyway. Oh wait, we're now supposed to be a democratic country so we can't. Well poo poo, guess you're off the hook then. :shrug:

You are right, they would have been better off if they sat there and died, now they can't prosecute people according to you. Why would prosecuting these people in some imaginary trial even be a priority when they are busy just trying to stay alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

pigdog posted:

Who's "they" in this sentence because it could just as well apply to either side? If we're talking about people who were forced to come out there and "stay alive", then that kinda describes the police force better.

Bottom line is, resorting to violence starts a clusterfuck that doesn't just end with the protests either.

I was obviously talking about the protestors.

Are you trying to imply that the police are not allowed to quit their jobs? They aren't conscripts with a political officer behind them ready to shoot deserters.

Violence should never be the first choice, but you absolutely have a right to defend yourself.

• Locked thread