Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey there, just saw this thread, thought I'd share what I posted in the D&D one:

Just off a call with mom [who flew there today] and the family in Kiev. Unsurprisingly the plane in was half empty, and the airport was also way below typical capacity. However other than that, the way from Boryspil to the center of Kiev was completely uneventful except for the usual traffic jams.

Not much more information so far, but when I say center, it's pretty "center":

That's 10-15 minutes on foot to Maidan. Everything's relatively peaceful and quiet there, no roving gangs of fascists or anything like that. So unless you're really craving for a Big Mac from Ukraine's first Mickey D's on Khreshchatyk, it's still reasonably safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tankus posted:

Tell your mom and her friends to avoid groups of people in Addidas track suits, other than that, they should be in good shape!

Well that's a pretty good rule to follow at any time, but thanks! :D

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Is it true that part of Ukraine has declared itself autonomous or is this some sort of bizarre mistranslation?

Also, have you heard anything about the Crimean region looking to secede (as they apparently have a pro-government stance generally).

e: What's the correct transliteration of Kiev? Kyev or Kiev?

Yeah that was Lviv, back when Yanukovich was still in power. I don't think that's anything more than a gesture though.

The Crimea and south-east in general are certainly more Russian but I doubt they'll miss Yanukovich that much, and secession would be too much of a pain in the rear end for everyone involved. That said, it's still a bit difficult to tell who wants what at the moment.

Kyiv is the officially preferred version, since it directly follows from the Ukrainian spelling/pronunciation, but Kiev's also fine.

Namarrgon posted:

It's not as if the choice is just between those two? They can elect other people?

Tymoshenko was trying awfully hard to make it about herself with yesterday's speech, but hopefully people didn't really buy that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep, looks like Russia "securing" the area but really trying to provoke a military response so they can annex the peninsula. Tankus, what's the people's reaction to this? Surely even the Russian-speaking ones (like myself...) wouldn't want parts of the country stolen?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
utjkju, why are you so concerned with voting? Is it suddenly a big thing in countries that are not Russia?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

utjkju posted:

Do you live in Russia?

Why, is there a problem with me finding issues with the legitimacy of your government?

Do you live in Ukraine?

Of course there are issues with the current setup, but as has been explained, there's no way around it until new elections are held. A good way to deal with the situation is to open up a discussion with the interim government and try to work together to ensure that interests of the Russian-speaking population are respected. And not refuse to talk to it, occupy part of the country's territory, and blatantly try to annex it. Such actions are not only completely illegal, but also counterproductive to the interest of ethnic Russian around Europe.

• Locked thread