Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
If Russia is meaning to provoke Ukraine into something, they're doing it really well. Russian parliament authorized the use of military force in Ukraine.

Is there something in internal Ukranian politics I'm not getting or the media is not reporting? This seems like a really good way to permanently drive Ukraine away from the Russian sphere of influence. I've had the picture that the pro-Russia part of the population of Ukraine is not large enough so that a temporary invasion of Crimea wouldn't have a serious backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Russian press has no shortage of motivations with which to justify 'stabilization', and if push doesn't come to shove they can always stage some street theater.

A super power does as it pleases, generally. They can be really transparent in faking a reason for a number of things as long as they can be sure they can get away with it.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I would like to ask you less West-oriented people what you think about the options given in the upcoming refendum and how it is presented in the Russian media. The Finnish media has been pretty neutral all things considered but even here the headline was, paraphrased, "No option for status quo".

If you're not aware, people are given two options:

A) Crimea will join the Russian Federation
B) The 1992 constitution will come into effect, in short making Crimea temporarily independent until it has decided which nation it will want to join.

No voting percentage threshold so you can't protest by not voting and all votes which don't have exactly one option chosen are not taken into account either.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Utjkju, I like the fact that you've started the thread and your posts are what makes me come back to check this out from time to time. Could you please keep posting in English? I can't Cyrillic letters, so I have no idea what you are saying. I know your English isn't the best but at least I could understand you well enough.

Even a small summary of each post, maybe?

• Locked thread