Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Noctis Horrendae posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10668357/Russia-admits-that-it-has-moved-troops-in-Ukraine.html

Here we go! They went from outright denying it hours ago to admitting it now. Oh, Russia. I can't wait to see the impending diplomatic clusterfuck - any guesses on what the U.S. will say about this?

E: IIRC marching into foreign territory with unmarked troops directly violates the Geneva Convention, can anyone confirm this? I'm way too excited about this - I really want to see Russia get stomped.

Lord Windy posted:

I'm almost positive that the Geneva Conventions and their amendments are just to do with the treatment of captured, wounded or stranded soldiers and civilians. I'm sure there are some international agreements that regulate that, but not those ones.

It's Hague, not Geneva that says it

Annex Section 1, Chapter1, Article 1 posted:

The laws, rights, and duties of war apply not only to armies, but also to militia and volunteer corps, fulfilling the following conditions:

To be commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;
To have a fixed distinctive emblem recognizable at a distance;
To carry arms openly; and
To conduct their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

And I believe Hague and/or Geneva go on to say that combatants not wearing distinctive uniform are not entitled to POW status. Which is why you hear stories about secret agents jumping into enemy territory in their uniform before ditching it and going into hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread